led hdtv vs plasma hdtv

atulpilot

hey guys i am confused between the led lcd hdtv and plasma hdtv as the new led lcd hdtv gives same black levels as plasma due to the local dimming function.

so what are the other major differences between the two??????

and does the new led lcd hdtv has an upper hand over the plasma hdtv?????

the prices for the new led lcd hdtv are low and the quote is below from pune-

lg led lcd hdtv 42lh90qr-68000/-
lg led lcd hdtv 47lh90qr-75000/-

the lg LED lcd can probably show better blacks but not at pixel level,where even conventional lcd from samsung and sony can show better blacks.since if there is both blacks and whites behind the LED dimming zone it can either dim to giver lower blacks or brighten up to give better whites,it depends upon the algorithm used.
see the lg own flash video to understand how it works http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/lh90 series.jhtml (wait for it to load)

Last edited:
In terms of overall colour reproduction, Plasma is much smoother and pleasing and accurate. This is again relative to LCDs and is not a dig against them. LCDs also produce great colour but not close enough to the better plasmas.

BTW, the produciton of plasma is dwindling donw as there is too much of a produciton cost vs. LCD. They will be collector's items in the next 10 or so years.

hey guys i am confused between the led lcd hdtv and plasma hdtv as the new led lcd hdtv gives same black levels as plasma due to the local dimming function.

so what are the other major differences between the two??????

and does the new led lcd hdtv has an upper hand over the plasma hdtv?????

the prices for the new led lcd hdtv are low and the quote is below from pune-

lg led lcd hdtv 42lh90qr-68000/-
lg led lcd hdtv 47lh90qr-75000/-

The LG effort is worth mentioning and is definitely good VFM. It might almost mark the beginning of a much bigger entry of backlit LED LCD TVs to India. To just name a few differences between the LG and the plasmas

1.But even the LH90 like all CCFL LCDs have issues with motion especially handling film content.Plasmas do not have an issue here as we all know. Panny plasmas may show small amounts of phosphor trailing at times. Samsung plasmas have an upper hand here. Phosphor trailing however depends on an individual's eyes. And to be honest i could not see trailing on the G10 and S10 but did see it on last year's models.
2.Blacks are still not as deep as the kuros,V10,G10 and other backlit LEDs like the X450A and the A950.
3.Colour accuracy is definitely better than all CCFL LCDs of this year but less accurate than plasmas
4.It is also considered to be a good SD performer. Panasonic plasmas of this year are really horrible handling SD content as discussed earlier.
5.And for a change i believe there are tonnes of picture adjustment options unlike the Panasonic plasmas
6.It has a matte screen and is good for bright rooms. The V10 and G10 really get washed out in bright rooms

Last edited:
Gfreeman and adder.

Did you get a chance to see the LH90. I heard that it is quite different from the global model. First there is no THX mode, second ISF certified calibration menu is totally missing in the indian model. Lastly(i am not sure of this) i heard that they only white LED rather RGB based LED in the indian model. I think LG tried to make there set cheap cost wise by reducing the very features that are praised by the ppl outside india. I am unable to get a manual for this TV to confirm any of this. The LG website is the worst website i have seen, there support links don't even list this model or any of the other LCd tvs.

In ezone I just saw an uncalibrated samsung 6000 series and LGlh90 side by side. The contrast and sharpness was much better in samsung where as the colour was much more natural in LG.

I am not sure whether LG is worth buying if it is missing the above features.

Also i heard from a LG representative that LH9500 series is going to be released in india in december. Maybe LG will keep the features same for this TV.

Gfreeman and adder.

Did you get a chance to see the LH90. I heard that it is quite different from the global model. First there is no THX mode, second ISF certified calibration menu is totally missing in the indian model. Lastly(i am not sure of this) i heard that they only white LED rather RGB based LED in the indian model. I think LG tried to make there set cheap cost wise by reducing the very features that are praised by the ppl outside india. I am unable to get a manual for this TV to confirm any of this. The LG website is the worst website i have seen, there support links don't even list this model or any of the other LCd tvs.

In ezone I just saw an uncalibrated samsung 6000 series and LGlh90 side by side. The contrast and sharpness was much better in samsung where as the colour was much more natural in LG.

Also i heard from a LG representative that LH9500 series is going to be released in india in december. Maybe LG will keep the features same for this TV.

i am yet to see the LH90,but if does lack the local dimming that explains the lower price,EDIT saw the indian website as finaly updated,looks like it probably does indeed lack local dimming,other wise we would have seen some huge campaigning.since the only other local dimming set in india the X450A is double the price.

Last edited:
adder,

I think i did see the local dimming option on the TV. You can either turn it on or off. I did see this in both Adhiswar and Ezone. The LG website is worst place you can go for looking for information.

Gfreeman and adder.

I personally had a chance to see the LH90 at the LG brandshop at Rajajinagar a couple of weeks ago. The sources were all bad. Don't think the set was calibrated correctly but in terms of motion there was plenty of blur and that video like feel in certain scenes.
Uncalibrated sets do not give the right picture firstly and that too they would not have bothered to calibrate sets to an optimum level depending on which brand they are trying to upsell. The LEDs from Samsung still cost more than than the LG backlit. So they would do their best to upsell Samsung here.
Secondly yes there are some features missing and THX seems to be one. But THX on this set is not so accurate in the US models unlike other THX TVs

Even i could not find anything on the ISF feature on the India website. If its not there then its definitely a big minus point because it is this feature that makes the LH90 really versatile in terms of picture calibration.
The 42inch LG still costs 1799$ amongst the cheapest of online stores in the US (approx. 90k). So Indian prices are still less. Not sure if the differences are justifed with THX and ISF removed.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back