LG 50PK550 or Samsung 50C550? Got to buy.

Buy LG 50PK550 or Samsung 50C500 at best price

• Total voters

shaiju_o_thomas

Hi,

I am new this forum. Though I have posted couple of times this is my first thread.

Planning to buy a 50" Plasma in 1-2 months time. Read quite a few formus and found the information to be very useful as compared to the misinformed, LCD/LED selling, rattling salemen. Ask them about Plasma and they stare at me as if I just landed from some forbidden ice-age planet!

Anyways, fairly made up up my mind; it's going to be LG PK550 or Samsung C550. Now I need some advice from all the good souls to weigh the pros and cons in terms of
1) PQ quality with SD and HD
2) Black levels
3) Buzzing
4) Reflection
5) Image retention

I watch a lot of TataSky and DVDs (subscribed to 700mm). A blu-ray player is coming soon (I hope). My room in dim-lit and the TV position does not face any window.

Read almost all availlable reviews on LG. Checked it out at Croma (Bandra) and eZone (Goregaon) last week. Looks great but what put me off was the bad reflection and greyish tinge to pictures. It could be due to the store lightling and wrong claibration. Also, (sadly) Samsung has not yet reached the stores.

So, before my first Plasma plunge I would like some real opinions from the members.

Btw, witnessed a salesman selling LCD to some not so informed customers. The LCD model he was trying to sell is, what I believe, last of the sets the store is wanting to get rid off desparately.

------------------------------------------------------
Samsung 37A550, Sony 32V550, Pioneer DV-420-K, other components... still searching.

Last edited:
You seem to be more informed youself.
The only thing remaining is to do a side by side demo of the C550 and the PK550 and conclude.

B550 was one of the best TVs last year. SoC550 should be no less.
If you notice greys in PK550, it is entirely possible for it to have ppor blacks. Atleast last year models were not in par with samsung/panasonic.

Observation from last year moels below.

Hi,

I am new this forum. Though I have posted couple of times this is my first thread.

Planning to buy a 50" Plasma in 1-2 months time. Read quite a few formus and found the information to be very useful as compared to the misinformed, LCD/LED selling, rattling salemen. Ask them about Plasma and they stare at me as if I just landed from some forbidden ice-age planet!

Anyways, fairly made up up my mind; it's going to be LG PK550 or Samsung C550. Now I need some advice from all the good souls to weigh the pros and cons in terms of
1) PQ quality with SD and HD
Samsung marginally better with better imaging engine.
2) Black levels
Samsung clearly ahead!

3) Buzzing
I have seen few people reporting, none in india and I dont hear any buzzing in my TV.

4) Reflection
Full Screen LGs show more reflection. It is distracting in some cases.

5) Image retention
LG is an temporary IR magnet!

I watch a lot of TataSky and DVDs (subscribed to 700mm). A blu-ray player is coming soon (I hope). My room in dim-lit and the TV position does not face any window.

Read almost all availlable reviews on LG. Checked it out at Croma (Bandra) and eZone (Goregaon) last week. Looks great but what put me off was the bad reflection and greyish tinge to pictures. It could be due to the store lightling and wrong claibration. Also, (sadly) Samsung has not yet reached the stores.

So, before my first Plasma plunge I would like some real opinions from the members.

Btw, witnessed a salesman selling LCD to some not so informed customers. The LCD model he was trying to sell is, what I believe, last of the sets the store is wanting to get rid off desparately.

------------------------------------------------------
Samsung 37A550, Sony 32V550, Pioneer DV-420-K, other components... still searching.

I'd be getting one of these two as well. I won't be playing any SD content on it though. Just PS3 high definition games and blu ray movies. I'm happy with viewing regular TV in SD at least till another 3 years, till the prices drop and become more reasonable.

Thanks for replies BLASTO. Yes, would consider myself well informed but surely need advice in some areas.

Here is the Samsung C590 review. Not too encouraging. Fails to match 2009 models in some areas.

Samsung PN50C590 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

Should apply to C550 as well. It does not have Cinema Smooth option but I read it can be enabled from service menu.

Do you know of any store in Mumbai displaying C550?

Looks like I have to wait for a proper LG vs Samsung review before I make the purchase.

Croma quoted me 72K for PK550. Still bargaining. They are bundling a PS2 with the Plasma. No use for me.

A store in Goregaon offered < 68K. They said C550 will be < 75K.

Can't do a side-by-side comparison as C550 is still not available in stores. Any C550 owners here?

Anyone who knows of a better deal on PK550 in Mumbai let me know.

Can't do a side-by-side comparison as C550 is still not available in stores.

If waiting is an option, do that.
If C550 is anywhere close to B550 in performance and with the added USB movie playback functionality, I would say it is well worth the 75k. And samsung seldom downgrades the TVs in PQ in the recent history.

Rest is left to your choice.

Hi,

I am a little confused at the moment. I am getting PK550 for 61k and the same dealer is quoting 73,500 for C550.

I think from all the reviews in the forum, that Sammy is a little better choice then lg.........

I am very confused and cant make a choice at the prices that these 2 are being offered to me.

Does someone have a suggestion?

BTW, this price was offered to me in bombay...:yahoo:

Thanks

Miks

Hi,

I am a little confused at the moment. I am getting PK550 for 61k and the same dealer is quoting 73,500 for C550.

I think from all the reviews in the forum, that Sammy is a little better choice then lg.........

I am very confused and cant make a choice at the prices that these 2 are being offered to me.

Does someone have a suggestion?

BTW, this price was offered to me in bombay...:yahoo:

Thanks

Miks

Please go and see both the TVs yourself and decide. Don't blindly follow an expert on this matter. I have noticed that some people keep harping on TVs from a particular company simply because they own a TV from that company. They may be having a good experience for the set that they bought but it should not become the sole criteria for making judgement about other sets, even from the same company. It is sad to see that someone has not even seen the 2010 plasma models from Samsung, LG or Panasonic but they keep advising people to go for one brand only. They appear more like salesperson for that company.

Read everyone's views but decide yourself. Nothing like comparing the TV sets yourself. Many other people on this forum have also advised the same.

Hi,

61K after some haggle or first quote? Seems a good price. I am trying to get it for 58K.

Am in the same boat. There is no C550 in stores for demo. The reviews get confusing as well. The sites go : There is a gamma error but ... There is bluish tinge to pictures but .... The colors are believable but ... There is only the "slightest" motion judder.

I have come to know that no consumer display is perfect. The near perfect ones are just a dream for many (think Pioneer Kuros). Manufactures hold back from adding features to budget displays so that their newers investments in high-end displays can pay off (internet TV, 3D). Why would someone not put a black filter on budget Plasmas? Samsung had it on B550. 2010 models do not have a filter even on 50C6500 that cost >100K.

As much as I seem to be aware, I am still looking for the right Plasma.

Btw, just saw Prince of Persia and it's OK. Nothing novel. Trust Hollywood to make their lead pairs kiss even when the world around them is burning. Just like our movies with songs for every situation :)

Enjoy the week ahead.

The 61k quote that the dealer gave me is the first quote but i dont think that he is going to negotiate.

The problem is that i have seen LG pk550 @ croma but havent been able to see a demo of c550 anywhere in stores. Also, I feel that a side by side comparision will virtually impossible anytime soon in bombay.

I anyone does know of a store with c550 on display please let me know.

Thanks

Miks

Can you share the dealer details? I did like to check it out as well.

I just left a message with my dealer. Will let you know what he quotes.

I have come to know that no consumer display is perfect. The near perfect ones are just a dream for many (think Pioneer Kuros). Manufactures hold back from adding features to budget displays so that their newers investments in high-end displays can pay off (internet TV, 3D). Why would someone not put a black filter on budget Plasmas? Samsung had it on B550. 2010 models do not have a filter even on 50C6500 that cost >100K.

Well marketing terminology can get confusing at times.

Just checked.. The B550 has "Filter Bright" and C550 has the name changed to "Clear Image Panel" (??) Both of these are I suppose the filters with different names.

"Real Black filter" is the name given to higher end TV filters..

So C550 (and C450 too) has this filter.

The best way to check it in the store is to see if the screen is light grey (like our CRTs) and dark grey/close to black. If it is close to black, it has some kind of filter.

Try Rahul Electronics on SV Road, Goregaon opposite Ratna Hotel.
You may get C550 between 65 and 68k. The Samsung showroom in the vicinity was quoting c550 without bargaining at 70k. I was not interested in
c550 hence did not probe further.

i got c450 from rahul electronics.

regards

Try Rahul Electronics on SV Road, Goregaon opposite Ratna Hotel.
You may get C550 between 65 and 68k. The Samsung showroom in the vicinity was quoting c550 without bargaining at 70k. I was not interested in
c550 hence did not probe further.

i got c450 from rahul electronics.

regards

When did u get the c450 and for how much?

Google Translate a very extensive review of the samsung 50 C550 set compared to last year model and is full of knowledge, and by the looks of it LG 50PK550 is stealing the show from samsung 50C550 since the buzz is not looking to leave samsung displays in the near future and it is so annoying, anyone who is saying it is not, is fooling himself and others, LG still has the most reflective panels on the market. but that is controllable, but controlling the buzz is not in the hands of the consumer

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back