LG PQ70.....best buy this Diwali???

I have been a mute observer here for almost a month now. After consulting a lot the posts here, I finally got 42PQ60 for 41k @ LG store in Koramangala.

First things first. Let me start off by saying that the TV is gorgeous! I mean, Its almost unbelievable that Koreans pulled it off. Planning to wall mount it sometime next week, as this thing deserves on one.

Sound is pretty good. Im still trying to find where the speakers are, The sound is def. coming from behind and not the frame, as LG advertises. However its pretty loud and clarity is quite decent.
Picture is quite good, however I was quited disappointed by the fact that we dont have ISF modes on this (PQ6000 has).
Now on to the bad parts,
Black levels, as everyone pointed out, black levels arent soo good. But they are better than LCD's. just that they are not as good as Plasmas.
Having said that, I must stress out the point that, you will not notice it unless you are sitting in a very very dark room. Even then, blacks are not so bright as to ruin your experience.

Divx Player : Sheer gimmick value. you cant adjust picture in this mode, nor can you set sound modes, and energy saver options dont work either. You cannot zoom or stretch the picture to fix black bars. I found that my PS2 does a much better job of playing DivX (SMS player on Matrix modded ps2).

IR problem is def there, but the good news is that after a while it should go away. Also, you really need to nitpick ( I was few inches from the screen to see the IR clearly, that too on a black screen). Its not as worrying as some of the ppl make it out to be. But I would advice caution, for the first 100hrs of Plasma's life.

Overall, Im pretty happy with this tv, Im yet to perform any decent adjustments to the tv.

One advice though, if you dont want the frameless design, then you are better off with PQ30, since its the same panel minus the divx playback
If bluetooth is important then PQ70. So in essence

In essence,
PQ30 For Good TV,
PQ60 for frameless design
PQ70 for BT.

Let me know if you need me to fill in anything else.

PQ70 is out of stock at all places. I have been waiting for more than a month. Did anyone find it in Benguluru ?

Chroma shop near forum (Tata starbazar)had one on display. You might wanna check there.
However the idiots there quoted a bewildering 53k for 42 incher PQ70 :mad:. Ensure that you get a sealed one, if u plan on buying from there.

Folks - I had bought LG 42PQ70 for 39500 on 15-Aug-2009 from Vijay Sales, Baner, Pune. We had also bought a Samsung LA40B530 for 51000 from them. They gave me 1 HDMI cable free. I love both these TVs. Especially the divx feature of PQ70, it even plays directly from the HDD and really fast. Its a great feature. HTH.

Congratulations on your purchase...

Do give us a feedback and a review on the same once it is setup.

I have got LG PQ60 for 39k

I am unable to play 720p movies. The resolution of the movies in greater that 1024*768. Is it because of this that am unable play the movie. The extension of the movie file is (.avi)

Am able to play all the other movie (.avi)

Please help me on this....

I have got LG PQ60 for 39k

I am unable to play 720p movies. The resolution of the movies in greater that 1024*768. Is it because of this that am unable play the movie. The extension of the movie file is (.avi)

Am able to play all the other movie (.avi)

Please help me on this....

already replied on your other thread.. i think you had to read the manual properly :)

Picked up an LG PQ60 in delhi for 39K. One of my friend wants to buy the same in hyderabad. Anyone aware of a dealer in hyderabad where he can get a similar or better deal.

Picked up an LG PQ60 in delhi for 39K. One of my friend wants to buy the same in hyderabad. Anyone aware of a dealer in hyderabad where he can get a similar or better deal.

I also am looking for a good deal for PQ60 or PQ70 in hyderabad.
people in hyderabad pls recommend.
This place seems haunted. :mad: People hate plasmas!

@jsanand

I was able to find a comparable deal in hyderabad.

PQ60.
40,400 last price @ LG BEST Madhinaguda (Miyapur)
Same price @ LG BEST Road No 12 Banjara Hills.

PQ70.
42.5k @ LG BEST Madhinaguda (Miyapur)
Not available else where.

The guy@ Madhinaguda said that he will try to give me the 50 free DVDs pack if possible and that there was an offer which got over by diwali. If he is able to do that it is an excellent deal.

Even otherwise I think it is a good deal as 1000/- deviation from delhi prices in hyd is acceptable.

I have a few questions regarding PQ70 to the owners. Thought I will put it here instead of starting a new thread.

1) I searched for and did not find a headphone out. Wierd considering they have almost all features including BT.. :mad: Is there anyway I can use my headphone atall? As you can see from my post timings, Iam a night guy ;) and will need the headphone out more than anything else. But his thing seems too good to let pass for that feature. Iam confused.

2) I figured out that SD in all TVs displayed on the store (LCD/Plasma/CRT) was bad with Airtel DTH (which is supposed to have good quality). What might be the reason for this? One other shop had normal cable! How to correctly guage the SD (DTH) performance before buying?

3) Is the full glass panel, a pain in the wrong place when it comes to reflections? The store had a light right in front of the TV (probably to chase people into buying LCDs?) and reflections were annoying when switched off and 'can live with' levels when switched on. Will it be a problem @ home? (My 29" CRT has no such issue @ my home lighting arrangement.)

4) My hall is average apartment size and the viewing distance is <= 7-8 feet (Side sofa being ~5-6 feet). Given that will 50" be a over kill? The price seem tempting though. Should I stick with 42"?

5) How is HD content viewing when viewing from a connected laptop? What media player plays things best?

6) When there will be HD tramission in india after a million years, will it be 720 or 1080?

8) Why is everyone (including me till sometime back) behind LCD? In the demo, the LCDs seem to be 'trying to be plasmas' to put in decent terms. But the sales guy interestingly seem to see the opposite! Do I miss something?

Last edited:
1) I searched for and did not find a headphone out. Wierd considering they have almost all features including BT.. Is there anyway I can use my headphone atall? As you can see from my post timings, Iam a night guy and will need the headphone out more than anything else. But his thing seems too good to let pass for that feature. Iam confused.

No, there is no headphones out. However, there is an L/R out, with variable levels (that is volume is linked to the TV volume, and there is a way to turn off the TV speaker). So I believe, with the right adapter on may use the headphones. If you have an av reciever, then its even more simple. Just hook the output.

2) I figured out that SD in all TVs displayed on the store (LCD/Plasma/CRT) was bad with Airtel DTH (which is supposed to have good quality). What might be the reason for this? One other shop had normal cable! How to correctly guage the SD (DTH) performance before buying?

The SD upscaler on LG television does a marginally better job than the competition (so says many over here and elsewhere). I have PQ60 and found the quality of upscaler right up to the task.

3) Is the full glass panel, a pain in the wrong place when it comes to reflections? The store had a light right in front of the TV (probably to chase people into buying LCDs?) and reflections were annoying when switched off and 'can live with' levels when switched on. Will it be a problem @ home? (My 29" CRT has no such issue @ my home lighting arrangement.)

Yes, there are reflections. And yes, its a goddamn mirror when switched off. However, when on, I found the reflection to be quite bearable. One bit of advise though, keep the wall in front of the television as bland as possible.
I watch TV with one or 2 15watts lamps running (one on the TV wall and the other on the opposite wall, none of them directly reflects off the TV). However if you do find the reflections annoying, jack up the contrast and brightness a bit.

During daytime however, the reflection issue is not very noticeable (because I set the contrast pretty high to match with ambient lighting).
Please note, reflection will be more than your 29 incher. This is mainly because you have more surface to reflect (bigger panel, more surface area ;) )

4) My hall is average apartment size and the viewing distance is <= 7-8 feet (Side sofa being ~5-6 feet). Given that will 50" be a over kill? The price seem tempting though. Should I stick with 42"?

I have wall to wall distance of 9.5 feet. So my viewing distance is about 8 feet and 6 feet being bare minimum (on bean bag). I would suggest you go for 42 inch. If you do want to go for 50 incher, make sure you go for full HD. Moreover, SD signals will look REALLY bad on 50 incher with 6 feet or 8feet distance.

On my 42 inch PQ60, the thing is pretty huge already. 6 feet and 50 inches dont blend well at all (pretty sure about that, unless we are talking of Full HD panel with full HD feed).

5) How is HD content viewing when viewing from a connected laptop? What media player plays things best?

HD viewing is pretty good. Though I have only one 720P clip (God Of War III Trailer :) ). I'm yet to play that. However, shoot em up BD rip and House Season 6 Pilot episode (HD rip) looked awesome. So yeah, Via VGA HD is pretty good.

6) When there will be HD tramission in india after a million years, will it be 720 or 1080?

HD transmission everywhere is either 720P or 1080i. TV handles both beautifully (even though TV is only HD ready).

Where is Point 7 ?:p

8) Why is everyone (including me till sometime back) behind LCD? In the demo, the LCDs seem to be 'trying to be plasmas' to put in decent terms. But the sales guy interestingly seem to see the opposite! Do I miss something?

Because of ignorance, Because every salesperson I have come across hates Plasma like crazy. I have heard the following from these guys when I was shopping for my plasma (I swear, no exaggeration)

E-zone : Plasma is dead sir, we dont have plasma (that with a 52 inch plasma on display RIGHT in front of my eyes).

Adishwar : Plasma is very old technology sir, plasma cannot produce good colours. Also plasma needs gas refilling every few years (WTF! moment, no gas refilling utter BS).

Pai : Plasmas have very bad viewing angles (WTF? When did plasmas ever have viewing angles????)

perfect answers...

just want to add something

i have tried both 720p and 1080p through both VGA and HDMI. between the connections i found HDMI (WDTV) slightly better. but between 720p and 1080p i couldnt find any difference at my viewing distance of 8'. and yes between HD and SD there is day night difference, as expected.

btb i hve 42PQ70, seems perfect for 10'. i was tempted for 50" but now i feel it was a good decision. 50" would have been over kill.

i have tried both 720p and 1080p through both VGA and HDMI. between the connections i found HDMI (WDTV) slightly better. but between 720p and 1080p i couldnt find any difference at my viewing distance of 8'. and yes between HD and SD there is day night difference, as expected.

Speaking of which, What are your settings @ Home. I find that the "intelligent sensor" scales down the TV settings way too low when Im watching in dim lights.
Also, I absolutely hate the "Dynamic Contrast" feature, they seem to eat some black level details (high setting is next to impossible, eats a good 20-30% of shadow details).
On the other note, XD Color Management, on the other hand does a good job of neutralizing the colors on the screen, when set to "High" I find the colors to be more natural (@least that is how I perceive).

Can you give me some idea as to what settings do you follow?

Speaking of which, What are your settings @ Home. I find that the "intelligent sensor" scales down the TV settings way too low when Im watching in dim lights.
Also, I absolutely hate the "Dynamic Contrast" feature, they seem to eat some black level details (high setting is next to impossible, eats a good 20-30% of shadow details).
On the other note, XD Color Management, on the other hand does a good job of neutralizing the colors on the screen, when set to "High" I find the colors to be more natural (@least that is how I perceive).

Can you give me some idea as to what settings do you follow?

Same here. i dont use "intelligent sensor" and "Dynamic Contrast". atleast for SD i found they screw up the quality. i didnt play with HD much. didnt get much time. may be during this weekend i will try to fine tune for HD. and other things i dont remember now. anyway i think its better to share the full settings. i will put them here when i meet my TV next time :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back