Light weight media player for 720p 1080p?

No it doesn't.
There is a seperate version with HD support and it is more costly.

could you post a link to that specific product with hd spport, it seems the workaround is to rename the mkv to avi or divx..it didn't work for me :lol:

could you post a link to that specific product with hd spport, it seems the workaround is to rename the mkv to avi or divx..it didn't work for me :lol:

Hi,

I guess you need to install some additional software before renaming your file,

see

WikiAnswers - How do you play mkv with powerdvd

not sure though, got this link by googling, have not tried it personally

cheers

Hi,

I guess you need to install some additional software before renaming your file,

see

WikiAnswers - How do you play mkv with powerdvd

not sure though, got this link by googling, have not tried it personally

cheers

The ultra editions already have the codecs shipped. You only need to rename if you have ultra. The deluxe does not have this support and have to rely on external codecs.

Refer,
PowerDVD 9 DVD Player Software Watch DVDs and Blu-ray Discs on your PC | CyberLink

The versions with Blu-Ray playback have this capability.

BTW, If you have downloaded the trial, you will not be able to playback MKVs. Trial versions are deluxe. The ultra is >100mb in size, check the size of your installer.

The ultra editions already have the codecs shipped. You only need to rename if you have ultra. The deluxe does not have this support and have to rely on external codecs.

Refer,
PowerDVD 9 DVD Player Software Watch DVDs and Blu-ray Discs on your PC | CyberLink

The versions with Blu-Ray playback have this capability.

BTW, If you have downloaded the trial, you will not be able to playback MKVs. Trial versions are deluxe. The ultra is >100mb in size, check the size of your installer.

the powerdvd that came with my lappy is ultra...getting a error code 80040241 on playing the renamed mkv file..right now I am using mpc-hc+coreavc decoder with haali media splitter.
this looks like good compromise since i could use cuda acceleration with the shaders..i used to run coreavc with kmplayer but the black levels were terrible with evr c/a video renderer, now coreavc has some issues playing rips with the latest x264 parameter..hope coreavc v2.0 addresses these issues.

Yes,better for vid than vlc,but sound is weak.VLC 5.1 sounds better than MPC-HC.

you can configure ac3 filter for dts passthrough in mpc-hc and make the receiver do the encoding...also good news for powerdvd users mkv rips can be played if we rename it to .mp4..it works like a charm.pq is awesome but only downside is the subs don't work!..also don't enable truetheatre HD option since kills the mkv rips, enabling purevideo yields better results..playback is lot smoother than mpc-hc..however pq wise mpc-hc is top notch!

If you have not done so already, please try out TheKMPlayer. An excellent player with very rounded features and functionality. More importantly they are all very accessible and easy to understand.

The good looking pot of MPlayer - SMPlayer - is also worth trying out. These, in my opinion along with VLC are much better bets than playing around with various codec packs like K-Lite.

Sorry, saw this thread quite late.

I had the same issue of VLC show 720p media with lots of jerks esp. via the VGA cable connected to the LCD TV.

I shifted the player to Nero 8's showtime and the problem disappeared. Later, I checked the same video in the laptop using VLC the jerks seemed lesser but is actually there.

So it appears that VLC is not so great in handling hd (not smooth enough) and the problem accentuates when viewed on a larger screen.

Just my observations.

sorry to bump this old thread, recently I encountered issues with kmplayer hence I was looking for a small and powerful player to replace it,
I stumbled upon splayer which is faster than any other player I have used until now and its internal decoder is much better than coreavc although you have the option of using coreavc and icing on the cake is shader support! :clapping:
do try it and post your views..

download link SPlayer_Official Website_The award winning high performance all-in-one player

I was also geting annoyed with VLC as it was playing some modern rips with a lot of starts and stops. Thinking there was something wrong with the media, I took all the files to a TViX and they played perfectly.

I have been using SPlayer for the last few days, and it has been playing all media very well, though some files yet give trouble. I think the issue is with the graphics capability of laptop. Unlike VLC that jerks around, SPlayer handles these issues smartly and smoothens the jerks so well, you hardly see it.

Let me try The KMPlayer and see how it works.

Cheers

Just tried KMPlayer. It plays all the files without any jerks. It has a number of set-up options that help you control the playback to your liking. Seems to be the best player amongst VLC, SPlayer, amd KMPlayer.

The colors are better and the images are much clearer. There is a small gain in audio, but that is not an issue.

Thank you, Bala.

Cheers

Last edited:
Good to know ur hardware is good enough for HD playback on KMplayer. Unfortunately, mine isnt and this is my favourate player. Theres also a High quality mode in it where many settings will be done by it automatically & the difference is clear.

After much searching i found an interesting one - Media Player Classic 'Home Cinema'. This one plays on my hardware (laptop). Additionally it has shader support (though i find pic quality so brilliant on HD content, i dont know where to use them!)

If u're interested though then theres a nice article on using shader support in it on guru3d.com.

I havent tried this on KMPlayer but i guess it must be somewhere in its huuuge menu!

Media Player Classic Home Cinema is an extremely light-weight free program for Windows.

It appears many players and such are having issues with the Avatar Blu-Ray. I am running the latest beta of Pavtube blu ray ripper which allows me to copy the decrypted m2ts files from the BR disc. I can play the m2ts file using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64 and Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 3. However VLC Player 1.0.5 is not able to play the file.
How to rip blu-ray movie and play with MPC Homecinema

http://camcordervideoshare.com/how-...n-hdtv-using-media-player-classic-homecinema/

Just tried Splash PRO 1.1.0 and found it has some features similar to powerDVD-

say it can bitstream audio via HDMI,
you can check the info OSD(say video codec,aud output),
It can play 1080p easily(vlc has some problem with good 1080p files),
support for Hardware acceleration...
you cannot chose between 2 soundcard output(goes to win7 default)
its really light too..without pro is free...
check here-
Download Splash PRO, Splash PRO 1.1.0 Download

Last edited:
blasto ... same happned with my system even after having core2duo and 4gb ram with 7850gx2 card.. however it was issue with vlc as it is not good handling that kind of resolution files and becomes jittery...

+1 for media player classic with k-lite kodec pack...

everything work fine now

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back