Light weight media player for 720p 1080p?

blasto ... same happned with my system even after having core2duo and 4gb ram with 7850gx2 card.. however it was issue with vlc as it is not good handling that kind of resolution files and becomes jittery...

+1 for media player classic with k-lite kodec pack...

everything work fine now

Wow.. I almost forgot this thread now.

Getting the WD TV is the death blow to my search for players, connecting laptops etc + it gives almost professional upscaling out of the box with out having to haggle around with settings.

No more software media players for me.

new vlc 1.1.8 is doing best job by keeping CPU load as low as 0%-

average 3%-

Video quality improved too.
Using ATI HD5570 with newest drivers(11.2).

Last edited:
MPC-HC + ffd + reclock + Gabest can do a perfect

"MPC-HC + ffd + reclock + Gabest..."??! What are you Gabbing?!! :eek:
Does this mumbo-jumbo run on Linux or apple or windoze or a PC?

Good to hear about vlc latest. Did you check for 1080p playback?

--G

"MPC-HC + ffd + reclock + Gabest..."??! What are you Gabbing?!! :eek:
Does this mumbo-jumbo run on Linux or apple or windoze or a PC?

Good to hear about vlc latest. Did you check for 1080p playback?

--G

Its only VLC, 1080p(rip) reduces load as low as 4%(range 4 to 9%)-

With avatar Bluray,around 15-18%(22% max).Here I have loaded BD image with Daemon tool,so consider that too-

Last edited:
I use MPC-HC with ffdshow audio decoder for HD-Audio bitsteam. If you have Nvidia GPU then install CoreAVC Professional codec which enables Nvidia Cuda technology. The best part of MPC is, you can install the codecs and tweak them under the filters section.

Try out XBMC. It has the best GUI I've ever seen with a huge amount of skins and customizations and addons. It can categorize your media and play it perfectly. You dont have to bother with codecs and settings. It just plays out of the box.

Try out XBMC. It has the best GUI I've ever seen with a huge amount of skins and customizations and addons. It can categorize your media and play it perfectly. You dont have to bother with codecs and settings. It just plays out of the box.

I cannot play file directly from XMBC.One need to start it & select from it.

Did you mean you can't open a file in xbmc by double clicking (in other words you can't associate media files with xbmc)?.

Not exactly that but when I want to play a video file,I Rt.click> open with & select vlc(other).With XMBC it is not so.I have to run XMBC & then select that file from it.It starts XMBC but file is not played.

To add & a option for vlc/MPCHC, I DL "Pot player".It is very flexible & can be configured with external filter & can direct to it.
I am getting lossless audio with it & PQ is much better than vlc.It looks like KMp,but is very fast if you config it preoperly.CPU load is as low as 5 (10 as regular).

Filter management-

Last edited:
Update-
Potplayer is much better than vlc and is free.I configed with many filters & set priority.
Now it starts very quickly & faster than MPCHC with similar configration.

Picture quality is much better than vlc.Images are stable,separated.In vlc,sometimes you feel the movie in one plain & with potplayer,you can enjoy individuals with theatre efect.
Sound has many options too.

You can also config PC remote with Hot-keys. You this can be the best freeware.

It can play Bluray file too with CPU load 15% as average & as low as 6%.

It can even read the Bluray disc mounted by Daemon tool directly.-
Potplayer> Open> see the last option where you can see mounted Kingkong BD.

Someone can try this to check its Bitstreaming accuracy.
If it does(It can with external filter),it can be the best freeware Light media player. :yahoo:

Last edited:
Checked just now & with anyDVD HD,I selected King kong BD as last time & it plays perfectly.No need of software remote(like in PDVD/TMT),movie starts directly without any warning,adds.

You can see CD drive 'I'(actual BD) in earlier post which is actually Daemon tool.Drive 'E' is WD external HDD smartware from where image was loaded.
Now in new picture,actual Bluray disc is spinning in CD drive 'F'.

Last edited:
Thanks spirovious. Gonna try this new player. I'm a KMPlayer fan. From the pics, this seems similar to KMP.

Thanks spirovious. Gonna try this new player. I'm a KMPlayer fan. From the pics, this seems similar to KMP.

Its similar in look,but faster than that.Reads BDs faster(15 sec) & you can jump to any chapter with cursor.I had always issues with KM & used to hang many times.
This one is really fast.:)
some links & guide-
http://codecpack.co/download/PotPlayer.html
http://imouto.my/configuring-potpla...-and-also-high-performance-software-decoding/

Picture Q can be compared with PDVD.

Last edited:
A google search on potplayer showed the first result as 'PotPlayer x86/x64 (aka "KMPlayer Reloaded")'. So it is basically KM Player. I downloaded a 6MB file but it turned out to be an update. So now going to download the original file.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back