Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

Looks like the suspense is slow but surely being revealed. Congratulations on your new setup, Bhagwan! That is some gorgeous looking equipment.

MUSIC - At Last !
3 Months hence & I got music @ home - I so missed it...
I do not know if it was the absence or what - but I liked what I heard - yes - only the 'made in China' things were installed.
The Canadian DAC was collected by me @ 1215 am
So, will install that - soon - I hope.
Detailed pictures to follow soon.

Bhagwan, looks awesome.....I have no doubt that you have done your homework well, and so am absolutely sure you're setting up a stinking piece of kit......eagerly waiting to see/hear it, once up and running.......Ozzy

Bhagwan, looks awesome.....I have no doubt that you have done your homework well, and so am absolutely sure you're setting up a stinking piece of kit......eagerly waiting to see/hear it, once up and running.......Ozzy

Good Morning !
Just got it up & running last night.
Still playing with it.
Far too many variables.
Will surely keep you in the loop.

mrffy9.jpg

This is the 'back' of the Power Amp.

33f407t.jpg

This is the 'back' of the Pre Amp.

:clapping:

Some close-ups:

AM833s power amplifier using the 833s vacuum tube, one per side, operating single-ended, class A bias, 120 Watts

vlCNFOm.jpg

Below: Another view showing the ECC88 and KT88 driver tubes and the three shiny transformers behind:

hRrl8EX.jpg

Below: The AMR-T2 preamplifier: dual mono construction, separate left and right silver wound transformer attenuators. Uses 6922 and 6H30 tubes in active stage. The lower box is the outboard power supply:

hXuKmWB.jpg

Out of the box listening impression: holographic and very wide and deep soundstage, subterranean bass which is bound to tighten further with burn in, beautiful tonality.

PS: please forgive the noisy pictures.

Out of the box listening impression: holographic and very wide and deep soundstage, subterranean bass which is bound to tighten further with burn in, beautiful tonality.

Sir,
Thank you;
Nice BIG Pics.
Appreciate it.
I too was 'amazed' with the quantity of Bass;
Just hope that the same 'tightens' with time.
Could be classified as a bit 'bloated' to start with.
But, we heard it - just off the blocks - maybe 100 +
hours - 1st hurdle & then 500 + hours - it should be
100 % settled in - I hope...fingers crossed.
1zfn4pl.jpg

Power Amp - Mono
30m94t1.jpg

Pre Amplifier - Rear view

This is the Pre - Amplifier
Front View;
2rx8qrk.jpg

This is the Digital Front End
Meitner MA-1 & Digital Audio Denmark - AX/24
33k94ps.jpg

[I hope the pics are 'clear'] - I have 'shrunk them'

Hi Bhagwan

Congratulations.

I am very interested in understanding what made you choose these amps? I know your experience in hifi is unparalleled on this forum and that you do a lot of listening and research before finalising your equipment. I think it would be fascinating for all of us if you could share your selection process

Congratulations.
I think it would be fascinating for all of us if you could
share your selection process

Sir,

Thank you;

I was looking for a change.

I have owned the CC for 5 years & used them for 3 years.

I was a hard core SS Person.
Once, I climbed on to the Tube wagon, I enjoyed that ride.

There were a few amps I had considered, the foremost being BAT Rex II - I still think it is one of my all time favorite amplifiers - funds not withstanding - I would have purchased these - hands down.
REX II PREAMP | Balanced Audio
I liked the Swedish Amplifier - The Lars II - a lot;
But then again - finances - as usual did not support me;
THE LARS - 300B Hifi Tube Amplifier
I also fancied the Wavac -
WAVAC Audio Lab. Single-ended Directly Heated Triode Power Amplifier HE-833MK2
Same Story - Out of 'reach'

Therefore, I turned to the next best option - PRC - this was a product that was made in China & hence was 'substantially' cheaper & some people I respect & regard on the international front said to me that it was a nice product.

I had never heard it before - so this was a 100 % pot shot purchase - I still do not know where I have gone with it - cause in all my audio travels - I have never encountered this product - Stereo Knight - Old Company of the same designer was known to me;

I could go on - but, I do not want to get that boring.
This AM Hiend is the here and the now - How it plays / pans out - time will tell. Opening bars have not disappointed me, so I am slightly upbeat - let the excitement die down & then I will do some 'objective' listening...
:D

I am very interested in understanding what made you choose these amps? I know your experience in hifi is unparalleled on this forum and that you do a lot of listening and research before finalising your equipment. I think it would be fascinating for all of us if you could share your selection process

+1 :cool:

Many congratulations bhagwan. When you mentioned canadian, I was thinking more EMM labs considering the kind of equipment you've been through in the past. Turns out you purchased the sister brand.

Still, how does the Meitner MA-1 compare to the DAD that you already have? Some initial impressions would be nice.

Many congratulations bhagwan. When you mentioned canadian, I was thinking more EMM labs considering the kind of equipment you've been through in the past. Turns out you purchased the sister brand.

Still, how does the Meitner MA-1 compare to the DAD that you already have? Some initial impressions would be nice.

Sir,

Thanks for the appreciation - I am grateful to you for your kind words;

I am not so sure, if I had penned it on the forum earlier - but several of my Audio Friends are aware of my plan - decision to play the 'level 2' game.

This I decided 2 years back, when I moved out of the dCS Scarlatti & currently am also looking to move out of the Tidal - TAD b/s speaker.

Basically, I have decided - keeping my room & the size etc. in mind, I cannot exploit the full potential of the 1st level of audio gear.

Hence a conscious effort to buy audio gear that is cheaper & slightly lower in performance to the 1st [top line - SOTA] level of audio gear.

To get to the Meitner MA-01 - I have not played it as yet.
It needs to be set up.
I am 1 power cord short - Euro Schucko i.e.
I have US Plug Cables in spare - well this is not the full story - the truth is - I first want to set my Amplifier & Speaker up with the DAD & Then introduce the MA-1 [slowly] - burn it in & then do an A/B & decide what I want to keep & what will go.

So, this answer will come to you - Diwali time - not earlier - I am sorry.
Kindly bear with me & offer me the time to do what I think needs to be done.

Shall Appreciate.
;)

I am not so sure, if I had penned it on the forum earlier - but several of my Audio Friends are aware of my plan - decision to play the 'level 2' game.

This I decided 2 years back, when I moved out of the dCS Scarlatti & currently am also looking to move out of the Tidal - TAD b/s speaker.

Basically, I have decided - keeping my room & the size etc. in mind, I cannot exploit the full potential of the 1st level of audio gear.

Hence a conscious effort to buy audio gear that is cheaper & slightly lower in performance to the 1st [top line - SOTA] level of audio gear.

That to me is amazing - have not heard anything like this on this forum.
Recognizing the limits of one's room and "playing" the game at the level of the room.

That to me is amazing - have not heard anything like this on this forum.
Recognizing the limits of one's room and "playing" the game at the level of the room.

Sir,

This is the story of a World Champion 'Bantam Weight' Boxer trying to enter the ring against an erstwhile Heavy Weight Champion - no matter how fit & fast he Bantam Weight Boxer is - he cannot withstand the volley of an Ex-World Champion - size & mass will take over - at some point.
I learnt this the hard way - being a Feather Weight Category person...:p

In a 'realistic' world - I need 8 to 10 feet of space behind the speaker - 4 to 6 feet on the sides of the speaker - treated room & adequate listening distance - quadratic diffusers - Helmholtz resonators etc. etc.
Only then will the gear of top quality come through with the shades / layering etc. etc. Not in my pidgeon hole of an apartment.:mad:

Sir,

This is the story of a World Champion 'Bantam Weight' Boxer trying to enter the ring against an erstwhile Heavy Weight Champion - no matter how fit & fast he Bantam Weight Boxer is - he cannot withstand the volley of an Ex-World Champion - size & mass will take over - at some point.

Lol Bhagwan, your analogies are priceless!!!:lol:

In a 'realistic' world - I need 8 to 10 feet of space behind the speaker - 4 to 6 feet on the sides of the speaker - treated room & adequate listening distance - quadratic diffusers - Helmholtz resonators etc. etc. :

Well said Bhagwan, oftentimes I see large speakers shoehorned into small, untreated spaces and cringe at the thought of the sound from those systems. notwithstanding the money spent. IMO realizing room limitations is the first step to great audio.
BTW Congratulations, looks like another fine system you have assembled.
Cheers,
Sid

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back