Marantz Owner Thread...

I am very much concern about sound quality rather than feature. Most of the current AVR from many manufacturers are embedded with more than enough feature one can need. Denon AVR x4300 and Marantz SR6011 , 9 channel AVR with Dolby Atmos/DTS X are currently best sound quality AVR available in market and are competitively priced. Due to the release of New series by both the manufacturers , I may get advantage in negotiations. As it is difficult to audition x4300( most of the places have x1300 or x2300) , I may end up with Marantz as twice audition and like the sound signature and can pair well with my current BA A360 speakars. Already in past I have audition x4000 with Elac F5/F6 so very well aware with sound signature of x4xxx, still audition is must. Really thankful to all who help me in this regards and looking for same co-operation.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

In my Denon AVR, Video Mote is "Auto", Video conversion is "On" & i/p scaler "off" and the rest of setting to off.. Do you have similar settings on your AVR?

If you are planning to pick Denon AVR x300 series, might be a good time as the newer series x400 have been announced and you might get the older series for a discounted price..

Yeah Marantz has similar settings for video output. I have set HDMI output on Auto and i/p scaler on HDMI. Any reason you set I/P scaler off?

@Marantz owners in my SR7010 I need to put the display on for the first time for Audio output.
In my Denon, I used put hdmi control & Arc to off and initiating a display wasn't necessary for playing audio Cds via cdp. I'm unable to do this with Marantz. I need TV/Display turned on for the audio output to play for the first time. Any other settings I'm missing?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

@Marantz owners in my SR7010 I need to put the display on for the first time for Audio output.
In my Denon, I used put hdmi control & Arc to off and initiating a display wasn't necessary for playing audio Cds via cdp. I'm unable to do this with Marantz. I need TV/Display turned on for the audio output to play for the first time. Any other settings I'm missing?

Yes same here, I need to have TV running for sound to play. Cannot switch it off. This was not the case with a raspberry. I've tried hunting for a setting, but couldn't find any.

MaSh

It was making the SD channels look bad.. So turned it off..

Okay thanks.
81ce6180885ec21b9eb78454d5ff1649.jpg

This is how my settings look. I will try switching off I/P scaler and see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure if I understood you right, but I can play music from my CDP and Blue ray Player without turning on the TV.

Last edited:
Not sure if I understood you right, but I can play music from my CDP and Blue ray Player without turning on the TV.

Yes no audio without putting display on for the first time. Can you please share your video settings? How many displays are connected to your AVR?

Yes same here, I need to have TV running for sound to play. Cannot switch it off. This was not the case with a raspberry. I've tried hunting for a setting, but couldn't find any.

MaSh

I disconnected the TV from hdmi out, now only projector is connected to the First monitor out. Now It does not require the projector to be put on for audio playback. I can play it without any display. Probably it happens when HDTV is connected.
HDMI controls and Arc is off anyway.

Your speakers decide most of it, for Boston Acoustics A360 I'd suggest you go with Marantz, I have SR7010 and loving it with BA26. Spec wise Denon has a upper hand if music is your at least 35% requirement then Marantz becomes an important alternative.

Marantz SR6011 is almost same as Denon X3300. So Spec wise superior X4300 has two inbuilt fans pretty important for India, HEOS compatibility, Zone 3, Configurable settings for 2 CH music which may be better than Marantz - Audition with your speakers and decide. if music is not one of your priorities ; going for Denon makes lot of sense. I was in a similar dilemma few months ago since music was one of the important considerations went for SR7010 instead.
What's the Price difference post GST ?
I agree with you regarding the Audio quality of Marantz. I got a SR 7005 and it's a beast for both movies and music, BUT it's very power hungry... Moreover there is no fan inbuilt, and so this stops me listening to music for extended period... How do you manage the power consumption and cooling?

Hi

The SR series due to its complex expensive components will generate heat like any other electronic device...you need to put 4 inch or 6 inch cooling fans at the side as blow in our suck out heat way.....

If the AVR over heats, the protection circuit kicks in and the avr will shut off....after 3-5 mins turn it on...

The operating manual also states to keep the AVR well ventilated .....the Home Theatre racks or cabinets used by some of us lack proper ventilation.

I keep my SR AVR on an open space...agree that dust is a challenge....that is taken care off by constant cleaning every week....once a month use a light blower to remove the dust which has settled in the AVR....

Look at using PC fans or even a laptop cooler pad for cooling. There have been some threads on this.
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/16971-ventilation-av-rack.html
I'm using Laptop cooler for cooling my AVR. Some FMs advised me not to use Laptop cooler as it may suck dust from outside. But you can turn the fan around and use it as supply fan not exhaust. If you use the fan to suck out hot air from AVR then the other openings in AVR may collect dust from outside.

Hi all,
Recently I acquired pm8003 from the FM. As I already have pm6005, I started comparing both of them with the same input setup (aux in put from the same DAC). Strangely I found that pm8003 need the gain of 11'O clock knob position for the loudness level I generally listen at 10'O clock position on pm6005.
I am running wharfefale 9.5 floor stands.
My understanding is that the incremental gain may be low and should not be decided by the knob position.
Anyone else experienced the same and what are your views on this?

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Have you used the same source and same song for playback?

Sometimes the powerful models give the boosted output a notch higher....

In some cases it is all about pairing and harmony....in terms of using the same setup amp+spks for sometime....both then blend to work together and perform optimally...i know this sounds far fetched and i dont have technical evidence to back this but this is based on my experience....

Source is the same and the same song.
I feel there is so much difference in volume. Even my wife felt the same.If it was little, we could not recognize.
We did for some 10 times today with my kid's favorite track as he give some moves and I love to see that?

Is the sound signature also different? What other difference do you feel once you have leveled the volume?

MaSh

Is the sound signature also different? What other difference do you feel once you have leveled the volume?

MaSh

Sound is bit mellowed on pm8003 and dynamic on pm6005

Does anyone here having both high end SR series (AVR) and PM series (stereo amplifier) from marantz and is there significant difference in hearing music comparatively between them.?

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I have audition Marantz PM7005 and Marantz SR5011 with Bostan Acoustic A360 in past. PM7005 was certainly better sounding Amplifier than SR5011. With same speakars PM7005, bass was agile and tight. Mid range was more detail and lively than SR5011.Vocal dynamic were very good. Highs were smooth but not chrisp. ( May be Speakars problem ). Also audition SR5011 with Wharfdale 230, but PM7005 was way better than SR5011.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back