Marantz Owner Thread...

marantz is known for more towards music....80% and 20% movies....for Denon it is the other way round...

The NR1608/09 series can compete side by side with the X1400/X1500........This is with experience when i used the older models.....X1200 v/s NR1605

I barely used the X1200 for a week and sold it off.........nothing compares to Marantz and its warm sound signature....

My NR1605 which was sold almost 3 years back is still being used in a similar dimension room with bookshelf speakers and a BIC sub....

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to upgrade from very old Onkyo HT that I have (HT-R518 with 5.1 speaker system). The HT-R518 seems to have faced some issue, going to protected mode, once repaired with AG Technologies Koramangala and the problem returned within 15-20 days. This AG Tech guy given me the worst service experience I ever had, lost confidence that my AVR is going to be back in good condition.

Coming to the question now. I'm planning to upgrade and looking forward to get an AVR that is 7.1 or higher (to be future proof, in case). I started researching Denon X2500H and then read about Marantz and thinking of looking at Marantz SR6012. I'm planning to use the height channel for front high speakers to get the Dolby atmos / immersive experience, let me know if that is possible? I'm on rented house and may not be able to get the speakers mounted to ceiling easily.
I have the Yamaha NS-8390 floor standing speakers that I recently got, planning to use my existing Onkyo speakers for other channels like surround, front high channel and will continue using the sub-woofer as well for now. I'm planning to invest in speakers gradually at later point.
the room size I have is more than 20x15 ft but viewing distance is set to 12-14 ft. I'm going to use it for 60% movies/TV and 40% music. Do you think Marantz SR6012 is a right choice? Can you help me suggest a good Marantz dealer in Bangalore? I see the online price is around 87K. I'm not very confident buying it online due to warranty issues.
I'd also like to do audition for couple of systems that I have in my mind, Denon X2500H and Marantz SR6012 for now, a dealer who can provide audition and some initial help on setting things up would of great help!
I'd like to hear and welcome your views on this!
Thank you.

Hi Guys,
I'm planning to upgrade from very old Onkyo HT that I have (HT-R518 with 5.1 speaker system). The HT-R518 seems to have faced some issue, going to protected mode, once repaired with AG Technologies Koramangala and the problem returned within 15-20 days. This AG Tech guy given me the worst service experience I ever had, lost confidence that my AVR is going to be back in good condition.

Coming to the question now. I'm planning to upgrade and looking forward to get an AVR that is 7.1 or higher (to be future proof, in case). I started researching Denon X2500H and then read about Marantz and thinking of looking at Marantz SR6012. I'm planning to use the height channel for front high speakers to get the Dolby atmos / immersive experience, let me know if that is possible? I'm on rented house and may not be able to get the speakers mounted to ceiling easily.
I have the Yamaha NS-8390 floor standing speakers that I recently got, planning to use my existing Onkyo speakers for other channels like surround, front high channel and will continue using the sub-woofer as well for now. I'm planning to invest in speakers gradually at later point.
the room size I have is more than 20x15 ft but viewing distance is set to 12-14 ft. I'm going to use it for 60% movies/TV and 40% music. Do you think Marantz SR6012 is a right choice? Can you help me suggest a good Marantz dealer in Bangalore? I see the online price is around 87K. I'm not very confident buying it online due to warranty issues.
I'd also like to do audition for couple of systems that I have in my mind, Denon X2500H and Marantz SR6012 for now, a dealer who can provide audition and some initial help on setting things up would of great help!
I'd like to hear and welcome your views on this!
Thank you.

Hi...both models and brands are good and have their own merits.....Marantz follows the music first principal and is more warm sounding......Denon caters more towards movies usage....

Suggest you compare the specs and audition the same content with the dealers who sell the same....there are many dealers in Bengaluru ...so go window shopping and see who can give you the best rate and warranty (basis GST bill).

HifiMart, HTStore, Ooberpad, etc are official Marantz sellers and even Denon.......please check for the best deals and make the purchase......audition is key as you were using a different AVR.......if possible carry your favourite music and movie scene so you get an idea......

You can refer to the Denon Owners thread for feedback on the X2500H or higher models......the SR6012 is a very capable AVR......I use the same series myself.

One point to note is that no AVR or Brand is future proof...there will be a lot of new features etc introduced every 6 to 9 months and a new model pops up.....that does not mean you will keep changing AVRs......it all depends on what you expect the AVR to perform and process for you......

All the best!

marantz is known for more towards music....80% and 20% movies....for Denon it is the other way round...

The NR1608/09 series can compete side by side with the X1400/X1500........This is with experience when i used the older models.....X1200 v/s NR1605

I barely used the X1200 for a week and sold it off.........nothing compares to Marantz and its warm sound signature....

My NR1605 which was sold almost 3 years back is still being used in a similar dimension room with bookshelf speakers and a BIC sub....
Thanks for detailed reply,

Sound signature of Denon is also warm right? Denon more warmer?
I hope both these receivers don't have "V" shaped sound signature which I hate.
I am trying to decide between both these receivers that's why asking.

Thanks for detailed reply,

Sound signature of Denon is also warm right? Denon more warmer?
I hope both these receivers don't have "V" shaped sound signature which I hate.
I am trying to decide between both these receivers that's why asking.
Marantz will sound more open in mids than Denon.Denon has overall warm signature.Few years back ,denon avrs would sound little soft in mids/vocal than marantz.

Hi...both models and brands are good and have their own merits.....Marantz follows the music first principal and is more warm sounding......Denon caters more towards movies usage....

Suggest you compare the specs and audition the same content with the dealers who sell the same....there are many dealers in Bengaluru ...so go window shopping and see who can give you the best rate and warranty (basis GST bill).

HifiMart, HTStore, Ooberpad, etc are official Marantz sellers and even Denon.......please check for the best deals and make the purchase......audition is key as you were using a different AVR.......if possible carry your favourite music and movie scene so you get an idea......

You can refer to the Denon Owners thread for feedback on the X2500H or higher models......the SR6012 is a very capable AVR......I use the same series myself.

One point to note is that no AVR or Brand is future proof...there will be a lot of new features etc introduced every 6 to 9 months and a new model pops up.....that does not mean you will keep changing AVRs......it all depends on what you expect the AVR to perform and process for you......

All the best!

Thank you for the response. Lately, I was comparing X3400H with SR6012 as well. I'm leaning towards Marantz it seems and waiting to get the audition done. Going to check with the ProFX folks here in Bengaluru. Does anyone know about claiming warranty or getting service for the AVRs purchased online like Amazon or Flipkart in India? Do they carry the same warranty as one bought from the store?

MZ Audio Mumbai imports Marantz and are official distributors to all stores across India......

Ooberpad, HT Store, HifiMart etc are the other stores....as long as you have a GST bill and the dealer clearly informs you who is the service center then no worries....still before purchase would google the Service Store name and location to be sure and even call them to double check.....(email would be best as the you have evidence).

ProFx deals more with Denon and Yamaha AVRs......

Most online sites mention SELLER warranty...it should be clearly mentioned as Manufacturer warranty......I would take screen shots of the ad of the product which mentions this as sellers can change the ad content in a matter of minutes......so be cautious and careful.

MZ Audio Mumbai imports Marantz and are official distributors to all stores across India......

Ooberpad, HT Store, HifiMart etc are the other stores....as long as you have a GST bill and the dealer clearly informs you who is the service center then no worries....still before purchase would google the Service Store name and location to be sure and even call them to double check.....(email would be best as the you have evidence).

ProFx deals more with Denon and Yamaha AVRs......

Most online sites mention SELLER warranty...it should be clearly mentioned as Manufacturer warranty......I would take screen shots of the ad of the product which mentions this as sellers can change the ad content in a matter of minutes......so be cautious and careful.

This is what I got when I sent a message to the seller. If I'm correct, Marantz gives 3 years warranty, correct!!
"We will send you fresh stock with proper Gst invoice with serial number of Amp
Mentioned . This comes with 1 year Marantz warranty . Our contact details are printed on our Gst invoice . It is not returnable .
Rest assure there is no complaint in Marantz Receivers.we are always available for any kind of support required even after 1 year.We will test unit before dispatching .
Regards"

For India....warranty is limited to 1 year unfortunately......unlike USA where it is for 3 years.....hence some buyers edge themselves to the grey market as much cheaper and they dont bother about warranty as if you used the AVR properly...nothing happens for a year easily....in most cases...

i have been researching the market for AV receiver for quite a while, I am leaning forward to marantz 6012, in delhi i am finding it difficult to get the older models. Lesser warranty in india is definitely a concern..

Some would have already sold the older models for steal prices.......now the only place to search is possible dealers through OLX.....please ensure you do a face to face deal after checking and testing

Some would have already sold the older models for steal prices.......now the only place to search is possible dealers through OLX.....please ensure you do a face to face deal after checking and testing

IMO no matter how good you position your speakers in a 5.1 it surely cannot be compared to an Atmos experience. After experiencing atmos for me i am not able to enjoy 5.1. I use neural x for all movies and music that are 5.1 content so i get overhead effects. I stay next to the indian airforce so helicopters and jets often goes over my flat. When watching atmos movies some times i have to pause and confirm if the jet or helicopter sound is from the movie or really flying over my flat. 5.1 is good and enough to enjoy a movie but definitely Atmos will improve the movie experience a lot
That is the reason I bought an SR6013 a week ago. My old receiver did not have this feature.
Awaiting some brackets to hang 4 Gallo Micros on the ceiling.
Will give my impressions once I install them.

That is the reason I bought an SR6013 a week ago. My old receiver did not have this feature.
Awaiting some brackets to hang 4 Gallo Micros on the ceiling.
Will give my impressions once I install them.
Even better with 4 speakers overhead. You will defnitely love the experience.

Anybody tried running spotify (India) through the receiver?
How does it work?
i tried it but its working obviously well through BT but not through air play. I do connect AVR with my phone's hotspot and when i try to stream spotify through airplay it shows song banner on tv but no sound and then disconnects. I think i need to have dedicated WIFI to stream music in that way

I am a Spotify user and have options to use it through Laptop and Denon av receiver. I have installed Spotify app on laptop and have built-in Spotify in Denon av receiver. There is huge difference in sound quality between through Laptop and av receiver. AV receiver sounds way better than laptop. If have option always go through av receiver for better sound quality and can use av receiver remote control. Through av receiver Spotify sounds more clear and detail. Sound stage is better than laptop Spotify app. Laptop send PCM to av receiver where as av receiver built-in app directly stream from network...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back