Marantz Owner Thread...

Hi All,

I have a marantz NR1509 avr. When I play music through spotify, or my home plex music server and the TV that is connected to the avr is on I see 'PCM' light up on the receiver. However when I put off the TV 'PCM' disappears and the sound quality changes.. its like the dynamic eq is not applied by the receiver. The music sounds much better when the TV is on. I would like the be able to play music without requiring the TV to be on and still get the desired sound output.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

Thank you,

Hi All,

I have a marantz NR1509 avr. When I play music through spotify, or my home plex music server and the TV that is connected to the avr is on I see 'PCM' light up on the receiver. However when I put off the TV 'PCM' disappears and the sound quality changes.. its like the dynamic eq is not applied by the receiver. The music sounds much better when the TV is on. I would like the be able to play music without requiring the TV to be on and still get the desired sound output.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

Thank you,
Can you explain how you have wired your AVR?
In either case, you can enable/disable Audyssey/ Dynamic EQ per source (so for spotify, you need to select your preferences for Online Music - e.g. I have Audyssey + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Vol on for Movies while for Music , I have it set to Pure Direct)

If you suspect the change is on account of the above, simply enable/disable per your preference

Anybody tried running spotify (India) through the receiver?
How does it work?
Like a charm.
Just select the track/playlist you want on your phone and select The connect to device icon (bottom left on iOS)
As long as your phone and AVR are on the same network, you should be able to see your AVR in the list that pops up

IMO no matter how good you position your speakers in a 5.1 it surely cannot be compared to an Atmos experience. After experiencing atmos for me i am not able to enjoy 5.1. I use neural x for all movies and music that are 5.1 content so i get overhead effects. I stay next to the indian airforce so helicopters and jets often goes over my flat. When watching atmos movies some times i have to pause and confirm if the jet or helicopter sound is from the movie or really flying over my flat. 5.1 is good and enough to enjoy a movie but definitely Atmos will improve the movie experience a lot
Fully agree.
Once you go the Atmos way there's no going back.
2 overheads is good but 4 is awesome.

I am using SR6013 but have added Anthem MCA 30 to power the fronts because my speakers are extremely power hungry

Fully agree.
Once you go the Atmos way there's no going back.
2 overheads is good but 4 is awesome.

I am using SR6013 but have added Anthem MCA 30 to power the fronts because my speakers are extremely power hungry
Any recommendations for ATMOS speakers available locally?
Given the relatively low usage, is it worthwhile installing on the ceiling or can one make do with the newer ceiling bounce (not sure if thats the right term) speakers ?

Any recommendations for ATMOS speakers available locally?
Given the relatively low usage, is it worthwhile installing on the ceiling or can one make do with the newer ceiling bounce (not sure if thats the right term) speakers ?
Best to go with the same brand throughout for timbre matching.
Ceiling mounted is highly recommended.
And try to go with 4 for incredible front to back panning

Best to go with the same brand throughout for timbre matching.
Ceiling mounted is highly recommended.
And try to go with 4 for incredible front to back panning
Hard to do considering Phase Techs are really hard to find
My guess would be that matching the tonal characteristics would be less than a must for ATMOS (unlike L-C-R) and I have non similar surrounds already

Can you explain how you have wired your AVR?
In either case, you can enable/disable Audyssey/ Dynamic EQ per source (so for spotify, you need to select your preferences for Online Music - e.g. I have Audyssey + Dynamic EQ + Dynamic Vol on for Movies while for Music , I have it set to Pure Direct)

If you suspect the change is on account of the above, simply enable/disable per your preference
I dont think the problem is not having per source pref set. My problem is with the difference in sound when tv is on a be off... When tv is on pcm mode is on. When it is off pcm disappears and the sound changes. I want the pcm on even when tv is off

I dont think the problem is not having per source pref set. My problem is with the difference in sound when tv is on a be off... When tv is on pcm mode is on. When it is off pcm disappears and the sound changes. I want the pcm on even when tv is off
PCM mode= already decoded audio stream on your AVR
In all likelihood your AVR will do a better job doing the audio decoding than the TV

That's the reason I asked if you could explain how your system is wired

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out how do I get the 'Dolby Atmos' as a sound mode during my movie watching using my new SR6013 AVR.
The way I have it connected is as below, looks simple for now while I still dont have a media player, I'm planning to get one in future, this may help at that time as well.

>> TV (LG C8) <<<hdmi compatible with hdcp2.2>>> eARC port of SR6013
>> Xtreamer Prodigy (going to retire this asap) <<< hdmi (need to get a new cable that is confirmed hdcp2.2 compatible>>>> hdmi I/P (any) on SR6013

1> When I'm using netflix app on TV, AVR shows "TV Audio" as the input - At this point, when I use info button, I'm not able to see any information. At this same time, when I hit sound mode button labeled as 'movie' I see below modes available to me. I'm trying to figure out how do I see Dolby Atmos here? While the TV is capable of sending Dolby atmos over hdmi to eARC port, should I not see the option here! What configuration I'm missing here?

I have the speaker level config/test shows me all my speakers (9 of them, L+C+R + SR+SL + SBR+SBL + HL+HR, height ch.) are active. I/P signal was showing only stereo input if I remember this correct, shall share the pics of those when I get back home

2> this second scenario is where my input audio shows 5.1 ch. while output is all 9 ch. active. This is the scenario when i/p selection is on the hdmi port where Xtreamer Prodigy 4K is connected. Not sure why i/p shows only 5 ch. and not all 9 that prodigy should decode audio for, but thats more of a question for xtreamer forum to find out what should I expect from Prodigy 4k? should I expect just the 5 ch. or should I expect all 9. In prodigy settings, my sound is configured to optical, I dont see an hdmi option at all in prodigy configuration for some reason. <<< this is less critical scenarios for me now while I'm planning to replace Prodigy with either nVidia shield TV or Apple TV 4k.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out how do I get the 'Dolby Atmos' as a sound mode during my movie watching using my new SR6013 AVR.
The way I have it connected is as below, looks simple for now while I still dont have a media player, I'm planning to get one in future, this may help at that time as well.

>> TV (LG C8) <<<hdmi compatible with hdcp2.2>>> eARC port of SR6013
>> Xtreamer Prodigy (going to retire this asap) <<< hdmi (need to get a new cable that is confirmed hdcp2.2 compatible>>>> hdmi I/P (any) on SR6013

1> When I'm using netflix app on TV, AVR shows "TV Audio" as the input - At this point, when I use info button, I'm not able to see any information. At this same time, when I hit sound mode button labeled as 'movie' I see below modes available to me. I'm trying to figure out how do I see Dolby Atmos here? While the TV is capable of sending Dolby atmos over hdmi to eARC port, should I not see the option here! What configuration I'm missing here?

I have the speaker level config/test shows me all my speakers (9 of them, L+C+R + SR+SL + SBR+SBL + HL+HR, height ch.) are active. I/P signal was showing only stereo input if I remember this correct, shall share the pics of those when I get back home
View attachment 35878

2> this second scenario is where my input audio shows 5.1 ch. while output is all 9 ch. active. This is the scenario when i/p selection is on the hdmi port where Xtreamer Prodigy 4K is connected. Not sure why i/p shows only 5 ch. and not all 9 that prodigy should decode audio for, but thats more of a question for xtreamer forum to find out what should I expect from Prodigy 4k? should I expect just the 5 ch. or should I expect all 9. In prodigy settings, my sound is configured to optical, I dont see an hdmi option at all in prodigy configuration for some reason. <<< this is less critical scenarios for me now while I'm planning to replace Prodigy with either nVidia shield TV or Apple TV 4k.

Thanks in advance.
The content should be Atmos.

The content should be Atmos.
You're right.
I know some config missing somewhere. The TV is not able to sense the Atmos compatible AVR on its ARC port?
I'm watching Our Planet and some other Atmos content from Netflix, some test DolbyVision + Atmos content from Dolby Access app, TV shows only 'Dolby Vision' on the top right when those from Dolby Access is played. I know certain titles are Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos on Netfliz, those are shown only Dolby Vision, that means its not sensing the Dolby Atmos capbilities on AVR for some reason!
Tried setting it to TV internal speakers, with Dolby Atmos set to ON and I see both Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos on the top right corner when these test content and Netflix content are played.

PCM mode= already decoded audio stream on your AVR
In all likelihood your AVR will do a better job doing the audio decoding than the TV

That's the reason I asked if you could explain how your system is wired

The tv is connected to the avr via hdmi. Yes the avr does a much better job of audio decoding. I just don't understand why the pcm goes off when i put off the tv

Back