Marantz Owner Thread...

I tried the setting but there is no improvement. Is there any specific setting you used?

Thanks.

Hi

FM should come easily provided you tune the stations as indicated in the owners operating manual....i faced the same challenge 4 years back and actually was missing a step in the tuning process.

Try placing the FM antennae wire in a different direction....try keeping the window open (if there is one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Read the manual step by step and remove the antennae and reattach again....as if you are doing a new setup.....and start tuning (RDS).

@ the seeker...

Great! Keep us posted.....and also post pics of the smdaudio speakers...

sure!

Awesome. Yes it sounds right now. Use the Aux for lower bandwidth sources. Could not find it in documentation, however, I do feel the HDMI input ports behave slightly differently and are tuned to the labeling on them.

MaSh

i will read about this.

@balzac, @efernand1, @mash, @murlidher, etc., need some help here from you gents...

1) audyssey setup - am not able to complete this setup. i dont have side-surrounds, but only rear surrounds. in the setup, when selecting speaker config, if i answer 'no' to the question about having surround speakers, the software assumes that i have only the fronts & the center. else, if i answer 'yes', the audyssey informs that the setup has failed because side-surrounds werent detected. how to overcome this? on avforums i read some users were able to skip this, but i dont see any option to skip. the firmware is the latest one.

also, is it necessary to use the same type of cable for all the speakers in the circuit? audyssey used to fail the test many-a-times, citing 'phase' error, even though the connections were just fine. retrying everytime would result in one speaker or the other being cited as not in phase. ultimately was able to reach a point when there was no phase error, but then it threw the issue of 'surrounds not detected' (actually it gave that error everytime, coupled with phase-error).

although i have manually setup the speakers, but am not satisfied with that. volume from the fronts i feel is esp. low (could be due to the source-file too, i cant deny), but having read about dynamic eq on the previous pages and elsewhere, esp. its benefit wherein one doesnt have to constantly increase the volume, i want to utilitise audyssey/dynamic eq ASAP. at one point i was wondering whether i should sell this and get a denon x1300w for its more power, as i felt that there's some power lacking as i have to listen at volume of 62-68 (dont know its equivalent in dB), and the denon one could help in gaining 3dB more. worth it? with feedback of members here, it doesnt seem so though (my listening-position is 12ft in length & about 3.5ft in width, if thats of any use).

one thing though - for the time-being i only have the fronts, the center, and the ceiling satellites (not yet connected) with me. the sub and the rear surrounds i will get after 2 weeks or so. for the rear, am using my previous 5.1 system's speakers for now.

2) i have a stereo amp, DNM audio A777. earlier i was thinking to sell it off. but having read that a stereo amp can be used with the AVR's pre-outs to provide additional power to the front speakers, am eager to try that. any problem with this idea?

3) any sort of DIY acoustic treatment have any of you done at home? i was thinking to put a thick curtain or sheet over the division from where the dining-room starts joining the hall, but it was summarily and fiercely vetoed down at home!

4) doesnt the AVR have any eq-presets? i couldnt find; only the 9-band eq.

TIA!

Last edited:
Hi
Yesterday I replaced my denon receiver 2113 with marantz sr6011. I am using polk rti 7.1 speakers. I must say sound quality much much better especially the low ends. My sub is producing tight and deep base which i could not feel with denon. Seems now base is very much integrated now. The sorrund channels suddenly came alive with movies with dd sound you could feel sound moving speaker to speaker. Very good balanced sound.

@balzac, @efernand1, @mash, @murlidher, etc., need some help here from you gents...

1) audyssey setup - am not able to complete this setup. i dont have side-surrounds, but only rear surrounds. in the setup, when selecting speaker config, if i answer 'no' to the question about having surround speakers, the software assumes that i have only the fronts & the center. else, if i answer 'yes', the audyssey informs that the setup has failed because side-surrounds werent detected. how to overcome this? on avforums i read some users were able to skip this, but i dont see any option to skip. the firmware is the latest one.

also, is it necessary to use the same type of cable for all the speakers in the circuit? audyssey used to fail the test many-a-times, citing 'phase' error, even though the connections were just fine. retrying everytime would result in one speaker or the other being cited as not in phase. ultimately was able to reach a point when there was no phase error, but then it threw the issue of 'surrounds not detected' (actually it gave that error everytime, coupled with phase-error).

although i have manually setup the speakers, but am not satisfied with that. volume from the fronts i feel is esp. low (could be due to the source-file too, i cant deny), but having read about dynamic eq on the previous pages and elsewhere, esp. its benefit wherein one doesnt have to constantly increase the volume, i want to utilitise audyssey/dynamic eq ASAP. at one point i was wondering whether i should sell this and get a denon x1300w for its more power, as i felt that there's some power lacking as i have to listen at volume of 62-68 (dont know its equivalent in dB), and the denon one could help in gaining 3dB more. worth it? with feedback of members here, it doesnt seem so though (my listening-position is 12ft in length & about 3.5ft in width, if thats of any use).

one thing though - for the time-being i only have the fronts, the center, and the ceiling satellites (not yet connected) with me. the sub and the rear surrounds i will get after 2 weeks or so. for the rear, am using my previous 5.1 system's speakers for now.

2) i have a stereo amp, DNM audio A777. earlier i was thinking to sell it off. but having read that a stereo amp can be used with the AVR's pre-outs to provide additional power to the front speakers, am eager to try that. any problem with this idea?

3) any sort of DIY acoustic treatment have any of you done at home? i was thinking to put a thick curtain or sheet over the division from where the dining-room starts joining the hall, but it was summarily and fiercely vetoed down at home!

TIA!

If you only plan to use a pair of surround speakers, then the receiver expects it to be sides. You cannot have rear speakers without having sides first. So, connect the speakers to side terminals and Audyseey should be able to go forward.

You can use different size cables.

About Audyssey complaining about phase issues - Many, including myself have run into that problem as well. If your speaker cable polarity is correct, then its safe to ignore it. Those errors are mostly caused by wall reflections in that case.

TIA!

If you only plan to use a pair of surround speakers, then the receiver expects it to be sides. You cannot have rear speakers without having sides first. So, connect the speakers to side terminals and Audyseey should be able to go forward.

You can use different size cables.

About Audyssey complaining about phase issues - Many, including myself have run into that problem as well. If your speaker cable polarity is correct, then its safe to ignore it. Those errors are mostly caused by wall reflections in that case.

thanks. i read the same thing on avsforums a few days back and proceeded to redo the audyssey setup. encountered the phase-error once but had the 'ignore' option & utilised it (i read that phase-errors can also occur as some speakers are designed with intentional phase reversals in the drivers in order to address crossover problems). now after the completion, the sound seems to be very perceptibly improved and pleasing to me! :)
(@balzac)

been using the speakers at the audyssey-calibrated settings itself since past two days. my rear speakers and sub will arrive in a few days, so will have to go through the thing again.

could anyone pls tell, at what volume do you usually listen to movies, if your listening-position is about 12ft away from the front-speakers? i find that i have to alter it as per the source. in some movies/games, 55-64 is fine, while in others i have to go beyond that, to 73-74. i understand that 'volume' here is just an indicator of dB-gain (correct?).

also, anybody using their fronts with a stereo amp connected to the AVR? does an external amp shares the load/'unburdens' the AVR-amp for fronts?

@TheSeeker: I have been using my AVR in Stereo Setup w/o Audyssey calibration. The volume generally I use my speakers is between 50-55. (It depends upon the audio source too).

My viewing and hearing distance is around 10ft. So, as of now its working. I am thinking that once I get the complete setup (i.e. 5.1) then I would go for the setup. :)

Don't forget to share the pic of your setup once done. :)

Cheers!

@TheSeeker: I have been using my AVR in Stereo Setup w/o Audyssey calibration. The volume generally I use my speakers is between 50-55. (It depends upon the audio source too).

My viewing and hearing distance is around 10ft. So, as of now its working. I am thinking that once I get the complete setup (i.e. 5.1) then I would go for the setup. :)

Don't forget to share the pic of your setup once done. :)

Cheers!

yes, you cant use audyssey with stereo.
i will surely share pictures but when i have all the speakers.

can anyone tell me whats the practical benefit(s) of using an external amp with the AVR through the latter's pre-outs?

in simple terms, if you need to run your receiver in more full sound (to ensure all your neighbors come and knock your doors), you would need an external amp, so that your AVR doesn't go into protective mode because of sudden increase in power that it needs to produce...

can anyone tell me whats the practical benefit(s) of using an external amp with the AVR through the latter's pre-outs?
Two scenarios
1. For second room speakers set up , where you want the same music to run as in your HT area, like say kitchen for your better half

2. When you have a great Vintage stereo amp (who's sound signature you adore) which doesn't have digital inputs or WiFi/BT connectivity but you want to stream Saavn or Apple music, Rpi music server etc.
Sometimes, Your AVR isn't powerful enough or hasn't got a spectacular SQ for stereo listening and you want to use a better amp.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Guys, anyone knows Marantz best dealer in Hyderabad. I'm planning to buy SR6011. Currently I'm using Onkyo TX-NR616. Onkyo price is too high for 9.2 channel receivers, planning to switch to Marantz..Thanks

I have a pm6005. Am struggling to connect my DAC brand banana plugs to the amp. I have removed the lil black plugs, am still not able to push the plugs into the amp. Anyone else having this problem? Or am I not doing something right?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I have a pm6005. Am struggling to connect my DAC brand banana plugs to the amp. I have removed the lil black plugs, am still not able to push the plugs into the amp. Anyone else having this problem? Or am I not doing something right?

Can you post a picture?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

7bd7acecb60a2d2969cbe1aabc6f3447.jpg

Hmm difficult to check in a picture. Did you try the same on your denon?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

The denon doesn't have banana sockets. I was wondering others are different sizes or am I again doing some incorrect?

Back