Marantz Owner Thread...

I completed setting up my sr5011. The receiver is certainly sounding much better than my old system 5007. I have hooked up 7.1 with 5011. I set the receiver with Audessey however the volume has to crank up quite a lot to my liking. I'm thinking of setting up manually. Do you guys suggest any other way of setting up the receiver for optimum sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hooked up 7.1 with 5011. I set the receiver with Audessey however the volume has to crank up quite a lot to my liking.

Have you enabled Audyssey Dynamic EQ?

I'm thinking of setting up manually. Do you guys suggest any other way of setting up the receiver for optimum sound?

Audyssey does a fair job in settings things right..

Share your crossover settings and features that are displayed on AVR.. This will help to suggest/tweak if required..

I completed setting up my sr5011. The receiver is certainly sounding much better than my old system 5007. I have hooked up 7.1 with 5011. I set the receiver with Audessey however the volume has to crank up quite a lot to my liking. I'm thinking of setting up manually. Do you guys suggest any other way of setting up the receiver for optimum sound?

Audyssey sometimes reduce speaker level upto "-3".May it be.

Hi

Audyssey sometimes does a decent job in setup....when you watch dolby content...it offsets to -4db by default.....

So.....if you have patience and time, increase the levels of the speakers a little manually....also increase the levels of the input source....this will help to boost the output....do it slowly and check with the same movie or music content if ok....accordingly tweak....

In the good old days of integrated amps, it had a defined pre amp volume for sources and speaker outputs.....similarly AVRs need to be tweaked to optimal performance...

Be mindful of the speaker technical aspects and watts handling...you dont want to blow up the speaker or avr...

All the best

Hi

Audyssey sometimes does a decent job in setup....when you watch dolby content...it offsets to -4db by default.....

So.....if you have patience and time, increase the levels of the speakers a little manually....also increase the levels of the input source....this will help to boost the output....do it slowly and check with the same movie or music content if ok....accordingly tweak....

In the good old days of integrated amps, it had a defined pre amp volume for sources and speaker outputs.....similarly AVRs need to be tweaked to optimal performance...

Be mindful of the speaker technical aspects and watts handling...you dont want to blow up the speaker or avr...

All the best

I did Audy first and then manual setting of each speaker. Now it is sounding much better than before. I don't have to crank up AVR volume to almost maximum. Even at half volume it is sounding good. For sub do I have to set "Main + LFE" or "LFE" only. I read somewhere that if set main + LFE then low frequencies are shared by front speakers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did Audy first and then manual setting of each speaker. Now it is sounding much better than before. I don't have to crank up AVR volume to almost maximum. Even at half volume it is sounding good. For sub do I have to set "Main + LFE" or "LFE" only. I read somewhere that if set main + LFE then low frequencies are shared by front speakers as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's great. What manual setting did you do? Increased the gain?

Lfe + main will send the low frequency to front speakers and sub. Ideally it should be left at lfe so that all bass frequency goes to the Sub.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

That's great. What manual setting did you do? Increased the gain?

Lfe + main will send the low frequency to front speakers and sub. Ideally it should be left at lfe so that all bass frequency goes to the Sub.

MaSh

I fed the distances of speakers and crossover frequencies manually. Then checked the levels of each speaker manually using SPL meter app. I believe the app gives fairly good results but if you have actual SPL it will give even better results. The sub crossover set to 110 at the back of the sub and 100 on the receiver. Level of sub set to 50%. I have few queries regarding sub but I guess this is not correct tread to discuss that. Anyway now the system is sounding much better. I am open to tweak further if I get good suggestions.

I fed the distances of speakers and crossover frequencies manually. Then checked the levels of each speaker manually using SPL meter app. I believe the app gives fairly good results but if you have actual SPL it will give even better results. The sub crossover set to 110 at the back of the sub and 100 on the receiver. Level of sub set to 50%. I have few queries regarding sub but I guess this is not correct tread to discuss that. Anyway now the system is sounding much better. I am open to tweak further if I get good suggestions.

Excellent. Usually audyssey is very accurate with distance. Set the sub at max cross on its dial and control it visits receiver. One first position of audyssey, sub between be at - 4 to +4 range.

Guys any body dared putting the volume past 11'O clock position. Many said that wharfefale 9.5 are power hungry speakers and I believed so due to AVRs which I use. On Marantz sr5008 I go to -16 to listen to music and -12 on denon1610.i t is almost 80% of the volume range.
Believe me, I couldn't even to touch 11 on my Marantz pm6005.i t is very loud and it is very distinct from sr5008.
So I conclude that stereo amp is faaaar better than AVR to listen to music and see the current price difference between them
Pm6005-31000( with Hifimart offer)
Sr5010~80000
Yes PM6005 is rated 45W very conservatively

Guys any body dared putting the volume past 11'O clock position. Many said that wharfefale 9.5 are power hungry speakers and I believed so due to AVRs which I use. On Marantz sr5008 I go to -16 to listen to music and -12 on denon1610.i t is almost 80% of the volume range.
Believe me, I couldn't even to touch 11 on my Marantz pm6005.i t is very loud and it is very distinct from sr5008.
So I conclude that stereo amp is faaaar better than AVR to listen to music and see the current price difference between them
Sr5010~80000
Welcome to the club. Stereo amps beat receivers hollow when it comes to music. They are designed for it.

MaSh

The key thing in stereo amps is that the output level for L + R speakers is already set to optimal levels....there is no audyssey for the same and also no level adjustment for sources...

I am confident if you tweak the input source levels and speaker levels on the NR or SR series....you will be very surprised what you hear...advantage is 9 Band EQ available to achieve the best sound to one's ears

The key thing in stereo amps is that the output level for L + R speakers is already set to optimal levels....there is no audyssey for the same and also no level adjustment for sources...

I am confident if you tweak the input source levels and speaker levels on the NR or SR series....you will be very surprised what you hear...advantage is 9 Band EQ available to achieve the best sound to one's ears
Another thing I would like to add. Bass came very lively with wharfedale floor stands on stereo amp. Earlier with AVR bass was good but not sufficient and compelled to add sub ( this is with all possible settings on AVR) but with this stereo amp, iam very sure that I don't need sub ( iam also a bass head [emoji4] ).

Finally I understand how people to live with only two speakers ( no sub) and no going back man. My both AVRs are lying around. Need to use them for DTH.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

It is said everyone's choices and listening tastes are different....also depends on your room acoustics and how you place your speakers....if you know to tweak your system well....you can get the best out of it....patience is what one needs to achieve this...does not happen overnight...lot of trial and errors.....

Sr5010~80000

Its a mistake to compare volume levels with knob positions. Unless level matched, no audio equipment can be compared.

hello experts :)

I have a decent AV setup with Denon 3312 in its heart, and I use laptop/USB as my source for music.

I am looking to buy a better source for Audio and video both. I have experienced Denon/Panasonic/Pioneer in past, but never a marantz and hence inclined to try it this time.

I am evaluating following two options:
Option 1. Integrated AMP like PM6005 with a CDP for audio and a basic ( sony/samsung etc ) Bluray player for video.

Option 2. A Bluray player like Marantz UD5007 or UD7007

My usage are 70-30 for music-movies. So for a given budget (capped @ 40k) which option make more sense?

Thanks in advance
/Ajay

Its a mistake to compare volume levels with knob positions. Unless level matched, no audio equipment can be compared.
Here my intention is not to compare the volume knobs on both them instead, to mention about the "amp straining".

I just wanted to know anybody came past 11'O clock position.

IMO those who are planning for stereo would consider pm6005.
hello experts :)

I have a decent AV setup with Denon 3312 in its heart, and I use laptop/USB as my source for music.

I am looking to buy a better source for Audio and video both. I have experienced Denon/Panasonic/Pioneer in past, but never a marantz and hence inclined to try it this time.

I am evaluating following two options:
Option 1. Integrated AMP like PM6005 with a CDP for audio and a basic ( sony/samsung etc ) Bluray player for video.

Option 2. A Bluray player like Marantz UD5007 or UD7007

My usage are 70-30 for music-movies. So for a given budget (capped @ 40k) which option make more sense?

Thanks in advance
/Ajay

Again - we cannot know sound/amp level/amp straining based on knob position. What if you leave the knob at 11 o'clock position, but connect a lower sensitivity speaker, or a player/DAC with lower line voltage output? Will the amp be more strained or less strained in this situation?

Again - we cannot know sound/amp level/amp straining based on knob position. What if you leave the knob at 11 o'clock position, but connect a lower sensitivity speaker, or a player/DAC with lower line voltage output? Will the amp be more strained or less strained in this situation?
Regarding sensitivity most of the speakers are rated around 83db to 86db are considered as lower sensitive that I am being used for the above test. And for both the cases source is same (through optical from HTPC) so the input level assumed to be same.

Here again the objective is clear subjected to the both models.
With my little experience on different brands that I have auditioned and have some of them for the last 7 years, I just wanted to give some feedback.

It's not a push from my side

Hi
I am happy to join Marantz owners thread.
I am proud owner of Marantz Integrated Amplifier PM 14 S 1 which i run with PMC 23 for two channel music.
The sound quality is fantastic , really love the Marantz + PMC 23 combo.

Now I am keen to upgrade my Home Theatre . Currently I have following set up

Denon AVR 1804 + Definative Technology Pro 80 surround + SVS PB1000 sub
I recently bought YAMAHA RX A 3050 , didn't like the sound quality at all very frustrating sound , fortunately could sale that on Hi FI ads immediately.

Now I am looking for high end AVR which will compliment to my Marantz Integrated AMP .

I would like to use the Pre out from AVR and use my PMC 23 as L & R for movies using Maratnz PM 14 S 1 as power amp.
I have also got PMC 20 Center Speaker from UK.

Please suggest me good AVR I was thinking about

Marantz SR 7010 , or SR 6011 or Denon AVR 6300 H new model.

I also want to change my Definitive Tech surround to something which will go with my PMC sound quality. PMC surround speakers are too expensive need something more reasonably priced.

Experts please advice

Regards

Rajeev

We may draw the analogy between an amp and car in a lay man style.
Take alto car. With little increment in acceleration it would reach 80kmph which is optimal with out straining the engine. From 80 to 100 we needed to push more than half to reach it. When you take Honda city it can go to 110kmph with out strain. So according to the muscle the optimum speed is.

Similarly the amp can take good SPL on 9'O clock it self. To go bit louder we may rotate to 11'Oclock or higher which may result in distortion of the sound.
With that we cannot say the amp would give multiples of SPL with further knob rotation with clean output.

From my experience with own and audition on various integrated amps for the past decade, I observed that most of them give clean output when they are in-between 9 to 11 and immediately start straining with further increase.

Again consider this as the source is at full volume or mostly CD players.

I didn't mean to start any argument instead to through some light on them in a lay man style. I Hope it may be helpful for the FM'S like me who does not want to go much into calculations.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back