Marantz Owner Thread...

Still confused. Because i don’t want for zone B. I want to use all speakers

1. Connect the Front speakers to the Power Amp
  2. Hook the Power amp to the AVR through Pre Out ports
  3. Rest of the speakers are hooked in their respective speaker ports.
  4. Run Audyssey....it will detect that speakers are NOT connected to the Main Speaker ports and possibly will give some option to select Pre Out
You will need to try......I dont use a Power Amp as the SR6008 is more than capable to handle most speakers......

1. Connect the Front speakers to the Power Amp
  2. Hook the Power amp to the AVR through Pre Out ports
  3. Rest of the speakers are hooked in their respective speaker ports.
  4. Run Audyssey....it will detect that speakers are NOT connected to the Main Speaker ports and possibly will give some option to select Pre Out
You will need to try......I dont use a Power Amp as the SR6008 is more than capable to handle most speakers......

Not necessary. Calibration works on feedback from mike.
So as long as sound is output from speakers, it doesn't matter what amp is driving it.

Still confused. Because i don’t want for zone B. I want to use all speakers
Connect FL and FR preout to your stereo power amp input (hopefully it is a power amp and not IA)
Then connect power amp output to the FL/FR speakers.
All other channels are on AVR.
Connect mike and re-run Audessey.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you are using just 9 channels then just plug in pre-out from AVR to pre-in of power amplifier. Make sure you have power amplifier only and not integrated amplifier else you need to connect in HT Bypass of IA. Better option is to assign AVR in 11.2 mode with pre-out assign to front L-R channels and connect power amplifier to Front L-R and assign internal front channels amplifier to surround back L-R speakers. You will get better power utilization in that case and will get more headroom for rest of the channels.( Even if you don't have surround back speakers and AVR in 9.2 channels configuration)

Hello @rpmahale ,
I have denon x6200 connected in 5.1.2 config with fronts being powered by crown xli amp ( via pre-out). Based on your recommendation above, i have a query:
<QUOTE>assign internal front channels amplifier to surround back L-R speakers. You will get better power utilization in that case and will get more headroom for rest of the channels.( Even if you don't have surround back speakers and AVR in 9.2 channels configuration) </QUOTE>

1. The pre-out option only comes when 11.1 channel option in selected in Amp assign.
2. If i select this 11.1 than it also activates the SSBL and SSBR speaker amps that i have no speakers connected to. I have SBL and SBR on the back wall.
3. How do you assign internal front channels to sbl and sbr speakers

Recently I have upgraded to Marantz NR1608 av receiver with the intention to use it as preamplifier or processer and using Emotiva a-300/500 as power amplifier for front speakers. Now I am using avr with 80hz crossover for front speakers BA A360 and Polk DSW Pro 550i help to share the load on avr below 80Hz. I am happy with the sound quality and Marantz NR1608 drive the BA A360 comfortably and sufficiently loud. Have tested for music only but not for movies. Addition of Power amplifier will improve the sound quality or just increase the loudness. Will the sound signature change or remains same....

Recently I have upgraded to Marantz NR1608 av receiver with the intention to use it as preamplifier or processer and using Emotiva a-300/500 as power amplifier for front speakers. Now I am using avr with 80hz crossover for front speakers BA A360 and Polk DSW Pro 550i help to share the load on avr below 80Hz. I am happy with the sound quality and Marantz NR1608 drive the BA A360 comfortably and sufficiently loud. Have tested for music only but not for movies. Addition of Power amplifier will improve the sound quality or just increase the loudness. Will the sound signature change or remains same....
Power amp addition brings in scale and control.
So for music, it will change the overall sonics and sense of musicality.
For movies, it brings a bit of authority.
Whether you like it or not only you can be the judge.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hello @rpmahale ,
I have denon x6200 connected in 5.1.2 config with fronts being powered by crown xli amp ( via pre-out). Based on your recommendation above, i have a query:
assign internal front channels amplifier to surround back L-R speakers. You will get better power utilization in that case and will get more headroom for rest of the channels.( Even if you don't have surround back speakers and AVR in 9.2 channels configuration)

1. The pre-out option only comes when 11.1 channel option in selected in Amp assign.
2. If i select this 11.1 than it also activates the SSBL and SSBR speaker amps that i have no speakers connected to. I have SBL and SBR on the back wall.

But how do u do above?

In 9.2 mode just connect the power amplifier to front pre out of avr. In 11.2 mode select pre out to front channels and assign internal amplifier to surround back. As surround back channels are less utilize compare to front channels , power utilization of this channels is also less which keep more headroom for other channels. As you are connecting separate power amplifier for front channels, the heavy power of front channels is provided by separate power amplifier and will not strain the internal amplifiers of avr.

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking if I have my Marantz SR6013 configured correctly. Most of the movies with 5.1 audio, I see the input signal as PCM when I press the info button on my Marantz remote. Should I be seeing the input signal as DD+, DTS or something if the source has it?
I'm playing most my movies from Netflix and Prime Video streaming services. I do see the input signal as Dolby Atmos whenever I play a movie with Dolby Atmos. I currently have 9 speakers connected (Q-Acoustics 5.0 system + a pair of rear surround (Yamaha) and Front height (front speakers from old Onkyo HT), Sub is also from the old Onkyo HT, an upgrade is planned in future, and planning to add a pair of rear height soon, its again going to be onkyo surround speakers from my old HT for now since they are resting idle, just to see if I can get some effect using front and rear height channels in Dolby Atmos movies).

I tried a quick search for Marantz 6013 configuration but yet to find something solid. If you know a post or thread where a good, standard configuration for Marantz SR6013 is, please point me to it. I shall try and add the picture of what I see / mean as the input source as PCM when I get back to it.

Hi

My laptop is hooked up to the AVR via HDMI and source info shows that the signal is PCM. I have configured VLC player to detect and output 5.1 signals (Dolby Digital) and it shows on info when I am playing a proper Dolby Digital movie file.

I use the Netflix app on Windows 10 platform and it automatically outputs Dolby Digital Plus signal to the AVR. (See Audio settings available for each streamed movie).

Sadly Amazon Prime Video is yet to enhance or update the audio part for 5.1 etc. I am eagerly waiting for this.

I have the Oppo 103 player also hooked up, Player settings is on Bitstream which ensures whatever actual 5.1 or 7.1 content being played back is sent to the AVR and it does show up for Discs played or even Movie files played.

Hope this helps......bottomline all settings matter from the sources....the AVR job is to decode them effectively.

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking if I have my Marantz SR6013 configured correctly. Most of the movies with 5.1 audio, I see the input signal as PCM when I press the info button on my Marantz remote. Should I be seeing the input signal as DD+, DTS or something if the source has it?
I'm playing most my movies from Netflix and Prime Video streaming services. I do see the input signal as Dolby Atmos whenever I play a movie with Dolby Atmos. I currently have 9 speakers connected (Q-Acoustics 5.0 system + a pair of rear surround (Yamaha) and Front height (front speakers from old Onkyo HT), Sub is also from the old Onkyo HT, an upgrade is planned in future, and planning to add a pair of rear height soon, its again going to be onkyo surround speakers from my old HT for now since they are resting idle, just to see if I can get some effect using front and rear height channels in Dolby Atmos movies).

I tried a quick search for Marantz 6013 configuration but yet to find something solid. If you know a post or thread where a good, standard configuration for Marantz SR6013 is, please point me to it. I shall try and add the picture of what I see / mean as the input source as PCM when I get back to it.
An important thing I forgot to add here in this post about my source. It is Apple TV 4K connected to an HDMI input on my SR6013.

Hi Guys,

PCM indicates that the decoding is done by your connected device. In your case, it is done by Apple TV. Dolby Atmos sound is bypassed to your AVR and decoding is done in your AVR and hence Dolby Atmos is shown in input signal. This is normal for apple TV.

You may however change the output decoder as per your choice, specially if you are playing 5.1 content, from the sound field button in your remote (4 separate buttons as movie, music, games etc). You can select DTS neural upmixer or Atmos upmixer or Dolby surround etc..

Hello @rpmahale ,
<QUOTE>assign internal front channels amplifier to surround back L-R speakers. You will get better power utilization in that case and will get more headroom for rest of the channels.( Even if you don't have surround back speakers and AVR in 9.2 channels configuration) </QUOTE>

Denon x6200 can amplify 9 channels and process 11 channels. Additional processing is available on the height-2 preout, which should be fed to an external amp. Height -2 preout is only for height/ceiling/Dolby Atmos speakers . I don't think it's possible, for denon x6200 to assign internal front channel to side surround and just wondering, what would be the use case fo it, as it already has internal amplification for it.
The snapshot shared in earlier post, I believe, is specifically for x3600, which has only 7 channels of amplification but supports 11 channel processing.

Thanks @sijusid
My concern was from audyssey perspective it does not figures out that there is a amp connected to LR channels. I am not sure if it should do so. Also if I am not using LR amp power in denon .. how much power is wasted if any ? can that power if higher be used to reassign to other channels ? Can that port be assigned to some other channels? I am not sure but I read somewhere someone did something similar in avsforum

Thanks @sijusid
My concern was from audyssey perspective it does not figures out that there is a amp connected to LR channels. I am not sure if it should do so. Also if I am not using LR amp power in denon .. how much power is wasted if any ? can that power if higher be used to reassign to other channels ? Can that port be assigned to some other channels? I am not sure but I read somewhere someone did something similar in avsforum
Power is definitely not wasted, however it will be better utilised if power amps are used for some channels. AVR amplifier and separate power amplifier will only output power as required by your system, depending on your speaker load and listening levels. It's not uncommon to use only few watts of power for certain listening scenarios.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back