Marantz PM 8003 or Cambridge 650A

fran_elite

Hi friends,

I have decided to buy the Dali Ikon 6 Floorstanders.( Rs.65K )

Now I'm not able to decide which Amp & CD Player will best suit the speakers:-

Marantz CD 6003- Rs23K
Marantz PM 8003 Stereo Amp - Rs38K

OR

Cambridge Audio 650C CDP Rs??
Cambridge Audio 650A Stereo Amp. Rs34K?

Personally I feel the Marantz will be a liitle bit on the brighter side for the Dali Ikon 6.

My Budget for CD + Amp is around 70K.

Your suggestions/Inputs will help me in deciding the CD & the Amp.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Francis

Hi:

IMO, both Marantz and CA would be bright for Dali; CAN accomodate the Marantz with the Ikon6, but forget CA.

Now, since Ikon6 is on the forward side, a more warm and laidback amp is need of the hour, and all hands surely points to the NAD C372/C375. The NAD can bring 'bags of bass', which the Ikon6 lacks, and treble 'roll-off' which can be prominent if Ikon6 is not matched properly.

:)

It will be impossible to answer your question unless you tell us what is your listening preferences and also how loud you listen to and how big is your listening area.

Also search the forums for suggestions from previous owners.

Hi friends,

I have decided to buy the Dali Ikon 6 Floorstanders.( Rs.65K )

Now I'm not able to decide which Amp & CD Player will best suit the speakers:-

Marantz CD 6003- Rs23K
Marantz PM 8003 Stereo Amp - Rs38K

OR

Cambridge Audio 650C CDP Rs??
Cambridge Audio 650A Stereo Amp. Rs34K?

Personally I feel the Marantz will be a liitle bit on the brighter side for the Dali Ikon 6.

My Budget for CD + Amp is around 70K.

Your suggestions/Inputs will help me in deciding the CD & the Amp.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Francis

I Like Reggae, Hip-hop, Pop, Soft Rock some Bollywod stuff from Rahman,Vishal-shekar & Shankar-Ehasan-Loy etc.

I like clean N punchy bass with crisp treble.

Though the Dali Ikon 6 don't go so low I had liked them for their clarity, especially the highs.

The Polk audio Rti A5 & A7 lacked the highs but were good in Mid-bass.But I feel they won't be good enough 4 music.

Other Speaker I liked was the Evo 30 Tower Speaker.The Bass was much better comapared to Ikon 6.

I will try to audition more speakers in the coming months especially the MA Audio RS 6.

Regards,

Francis

Like Vinod said ..it could be bright.

Marantz stereo amplifiers would sound pleasing more on a Quad speakers BUT, its a must for you to hear what you want to buy.

I have closely heard my Marantz Pm15S1 & also on Marantz 7200 (which i had for sometime) on Quad bookshelves and Dali Ikon 6 & Ikon bookshelves that i have.

So going by what i have been hearing i ALSO agree & state that Marantz-Dali - will give you 'slightly metallic' or bright sound but indeed pleasing else you can check other options on other Amps as Rotel, Nad in your list.

Brgs

Not to typecaste but you are right, Dali's give 'fresh' musical notes, but you would need to add a sub to get the thump. BUT, even i have been brough up listening Rap & Hip Hop from the old skool artists, i found Dali Ikon 6 doing a great job ..with clarity and neat sensible bass if not too much as at times is needed in HipHop.

Did you try the 22L2 from Quad ? ..bite its ears if you can. Its musical and bassy at the same time. Delhi audiophile group has very recently auditioned Dali Ikon 6, Quad 22L2, Quad Book Shelves ..so the diffference was pretty clear. Wharfedale signature series Evo holds the turf well too.

Getting confused? ...well no worries, you shall live with it for sometime ;)

P.S. what type of room are you going to keep the speakers in (is it furnished, treated for sound?, av room etc?) ..and whats the size?

I Like Reggae, Hip-hop, Pop, Soft Rock some Bollywod stuff from Rahman,Vishal-shekar & Shankar-Ehasan-Loy etc.

I like clean N punchy bass with crisp treble.

Though the Dali Ikon 6 don't go so low I had liked them for their clarity, especially the highs.

The Polk audio Rti A5 & A7 lacked the highs but were good in Mid-bass.But I feel they won't be good enough 4 music.

Other Speaker I liked was the Evo 30 Tower Speaker.The Bass was much better comapared to Ikon 6.

I will try to audition more speakers in the coming months especially the MA Audio RS 6.

Regards,

Francis

I doubt if there is any stock left of the old RS6. They are indeed good and refined, more like the Ikon6, except the deep bass department where the RS6 wins hands down.

Having said that, the new RX6 is still more improved in the silver series, and you have to audition them also.

:)

Thanx guys 4 all ur replies.

I will soon audition more speakers.

I'll be shifting to a new Flat maybe in 5 - 6 months.

The room size is L= 19 feet B= 12 feet H= 10 Feet.

Siddhart I'll try to audition the Quad 22L2 Speakers.How much do they cost?

Vinod I will surely audition the RX6 Speakers in the coming days.

Regards,

Francis

Sid is right. You can seriously look into the Quad 22L. It's a very balanced speaker. Goes low enuff and the high's are very airy....

Its would be a good idea to try the Marantz with the Monitor Rs 6 or the newr RX 6.

Very good speakers for the money. In fact I rate 'em higher than the Ikon 6.

Avoid The Cambridge audio enitirely. But, that's just me... Giev all the combinations a through listening to and then decide!

Francis,
22L2 prices you should check there in Mumbai. They should be in the range of about 68-70k. But the sound via them certainly carries more weight, but the highs are not as straight in the ear like that of a Dali.

You shall get what we are saying only if you audition them side by side.

Having said that about Dali ..22L2's are from QUAD, they usually know what they are producing. During our recent meetup, we had them standing next to Dali Ikon 6 ..i must tell you they shined out over all. At the same time Dali's lack of bass was obvious but not as much that it was a put off. Dali's ribbon tweeters delivered freshness in sound i was talking about in my last post. So both towers had a character with a lil bit of +/-

Over all verdict was for the 22L2 by 90-10% of the member present.

BUT ....! it was the Quad 11L2 which was a handsdown 'winner' from the audiophile session. and just to make a mention .. 11L2 is a bookshelf :)

Cheers

Thanx guys 4 all ur replies.

I will soon audition more speakers.

I'll be shifting to a new Flat maybe in 5 - 6 months.

The room size is L= 19 feet B= 12 feet H= 10 Feet.

Siddhart I'll try to audition the Quad 22L2 Speakers.How much do they cost?

Vinod I will surely audition the RX6 Speakers in the coming days.

Regards,

Francis

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back