Marantz PM5004,a bright little number?

riteshnegi

Is it just my ears or is the Marantz PM 5004 a bit bright?

I've it connected to Dali Zensors 1 and the source is LG blu ray or Onida Dvd player.

Previous set up was the same with the Sonodyne Sia 310 amp.

That sounded alright.

Even connected to the Boston Acoustics A26, it sounds a bit bright.

Funny cause I've heard it mentioned again and again, in forum after forum, post after post about how laid back the PM 5004 and PM 6004 are.

I think I'm a little sensitive to the higher frequencies. And the PM 5004 is hurting my ears though not as much as the tannoy V1i's.

Maybe it will tone down a bit with usage.

Marantz is definitely not warm is what I can say for sure :)
I would say NAD is on warmer side for example.

I found marantz to be more transparent to the other amps but also has that sparkle in the highs which might make it sound bright.

I would definitely not consider marantz as laid back if I understand what laid back is. :) It has a fairly transparent sound without the heft in the mids (its little thin on mids for my taste, the vocals are not rounded and lesser emphasis on the lower mids and lows)

If you feel the sound to be little bright do try using some "warm" sounding interconnects between the source and the amplifier. It should tone down a bit.

Also try getting a passive pre and try connecting it to the amp if possible and see if that is what you like better :) Hint: check the dcb1 if you can borrow from some friend. This should at least theroetically give you an opportunity to compare it with "neautral" sound. YMMV! :p

Marantz is not 'bright' but at the same time not really laidback either, it is perhaps slightly on the brighter side being neutral.
Are you using copper cables?
The Sonodyne Sia series is definitely brighter than Marantz, my Zensor 1 does sound a little bright with the Sonodyne, it should really sound better with Marantz by my reckoning.

Marantz is not 'bright' but at the same time not really laidback either, it is perhaps slightly on the brighter side being neutral.
Are you using copper cables?
The Sonodyne Sia series is definitely brighter than Marantz, my Zensor 1 does sound a little bright with the Sonodyne, it should really sound better with Marantz by my reckoning.

I was under impression that copper cables were the best for ultimate audio. I'm a little confused over here, could you please be more elaborate, to make this topic more clear.

Cables and interconnects are something which I'm to yet experiment with.

What I've is probably a strict no no in the exalted hifi audiophile circle.:)

Currently the speaker cables are the ones which, I managed to wrangle out of the dealer, when I purchased my Sonodyne amp. (Some transparent type could be local. The dealer said its official sonodyne.)

And the interconnect again is probably the one which I got with the Sonodyne amp inside the box.

The same cables and interconnects sounded great with the sonodyne.

Though I ordered a few bandridge RCA cables off amazon. And to my surprise the bandridge cable worsens the sound in every setup that i tried it. I was informed by some one that its probably a fake bandridge.

The marantz amp has not run more than 3-4 hrs. Lets see what happens with a few more hrs. Though I'm not a believer when it comes to electronics requiring burning in. Speakers yes. But still lets wait and see.

Which interconnects would you suggest.

I was under impression that copper cables were the best for ultimate audio. I'm a little confused over here, could you please be more elaborate, to make this topic more clear.

oh...you misunderstood me!
I asked him whether he was using copper cables only to suggest him that if he is not then he actually should use copper cables.

marantz amps are not bright,im sure about it.im useing 6004.most probably your cd player is the culprit.if not go for a good interconnect&speaker wire.for that,refer what hifi magazine.

Is it just my ears or is the Marantz PM 5004 a bit bright?

I've it connected to Dali Zensors 1 and the source is LG blu ray or Onida Dvd player.

Previous set up was the same with the Sonodyne Sia 310 amp.

That sounded alright.

Even connected to the Boston Acoustics A26, it sounds a bit bright.

Funny cause I've heard it mentioned again and again, in forum after forum, post after post about how laid back the PM 5004 and PM 6004 are.

I think I'm a little sensitive to the higher frequencies. And the PM 5004 is hurting my ears though not as much as the tannoy V1i's.

Maybe it will tone down a bit with usage.

Having used PM5004 for 2 months i can surely say that they have no harshness,i think your problem is in source,i use a schiit modi DAC connected to marantz amp with DAC cables,with radius r90 speakers the audio is balanced with no treble harshness.

I am using PM5004 for 6 months now and I can say that the sound quality is excellent.I didn't find it bright. I have paired with Pioneer BS-22.

Back