Marantz SR7011 AV Receiver for Stereo performance

rvr2000

I have a pair of KEF R900 connected to a Marantz SR7011. Although an AV Receiver, it does a decent job in terms of Stereo performance. My main sources are Spotify and Youtube streamed via Airplay. Im also planning for a CD and Vinyl player.
The issue is I feel the Stereo performance could be better considering the Speakers handling capacity. I have been contemplating on the following two options to better the Stereo performance :
1. Connect a Power Amp to the Marantz. Been looking at Parasound 2250, Rotel 1590 etc. any suggestions would be helpful. If connecting the Power Amp doesn’t improve much, then adding a Pre Amp (with HT bypass) to the above.
3. Connecting an Integrated Stereo Amplifier (with HT bypass) to the Marantz. The amp to be of suitable enough to drive the KEF and also include airplay.

Appreciate receiving suggestions on the above please. As for power amplifier I have been unable to decide on the right model and hence any advice will help.

I have the SR 7011 & find it to be decent for stereo too. But in my case they are driving small Dali Oberon 1 bookshelf. I have not heard youtube through it but Spotify in my case does not sound great as compared to the CD source that I have. I find Spotify a little lifeless where the sound quality is concerned.
The CD player is Marantz cd 6006 UK edition & prefer it by far over Spotify. Also the Audyssey XT 32 phone app helps to fine tune the sound more than the inbuilt Audyssey in the receiver.
Since you are planning a CD or Vinyl source then why not start with that first & see. If that does not work then you can try the Parasound Hint 6 integrated or the Peachtree Nova 300. Both have HT Bypass, good inbuilt dacs & have got good reviews. You may not need a power amplifier in this case as the integrated can handle the fronts.

Last edited:
@rvr2000
I have experimented with the little brother version of your chain, Marantz NR1605 + KEF 300
Could not get this pairing to sing as per my listening preferences
Sometimes it was:
- not enough power capability, my guess
- the preamp in the AVR unit, it does something to the music that many may not find acceptable
I felt that this pairing left the rendition dull, not engaging

The NC2250 is one beefed up unit. I do have the NC275v2 and it does a decent job of driving the KEFs.
Though there are some niggles in the HF, I like its overall command in terms of power delivery.
Simply put, it doesn't break a sweat even though KEF R series can be quite demanding due to impedance swings.
Coupled with this is an NC200Pre for stereo; yes it has HT bypass and other bells and whistles.
And this preamp has a very nice sounding DAC.

The KEFs driven by NC200Pre+NC275v2 is a very nice sounding system.
Definitely relaxed, no ear fatigue, no rowdiness of what the KEFs are capable of.
The only niggle, I have is when playing live albums.
There could be a bit more HF sparkle. Here is an account of my journey.

Check if you have the opportunity to try the power amp before committing to it.
If so, is well worth giving 2250/2125/275 amps from Parasound a spin in your current rig.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
I have the SR 7011 & find it to be decent for stereo too. But in my case they are driving small Dali Oberon 1 bookshelf. I have not heard youtube through it but Spotify in my case does not sound great as compared to the CD source that I have. I find Spotify a little lifeless where the sound quality is concerned.
The CD player is Marantz cd 6006 UK edition & prefer it by far over Spotify. Also the Audyssey XT 32 phone app helps to fine tune the sound more than the inbuilt Audyssey in the receiver.
Since you are planning a CD or Vinyl source then why not start with that first & see. If that does not work then you can try the Parasound Hint 6 integrated or the Peachtree Nova 300. Both have HT Bypass, good inbuilt dacs & have got good reviews. You may not need a power amplifier in this case as the integrated can handle the fronts.
Thank you. I have tried the CD and it sounds way better. The integrated amps like Hint 6 are of lesser wattage and do not have airplay. So thought of adding a power amp first and if required later a pre amp. As for power amp, comtemplating between Parasound A21+ and 2250.

@rvr2000
I have experimented with the little brother version of your chain, Marantz NR1605 + KEF 300
Sometimes it was:
- the preamp in the AVR unit, it does something to the music that many may not find acceptable

The NC2250 is one beefed up unit. I do have the NC275v2 and it does a decent job of driving the KEFs.
Though there are some niggles in the HF, I like its overall command in terms of power delivery.
Simply put, it doesn't break a sweat even though KEF R series can be quite demanding due to impedance swings.
Coupled with this is an NC200Pre for stereo; yes it has HT bypass and other bells and whistles.

Definitely relaxed, no ear fatigue, no rowdiness of what the KEFs are capable of.

If so, is well worth giving 2250/2125/275 amps from Parasound a spin in your current rig.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thank you so much for the detailing. Im unable to get a trial of the amps. Contemplating between Parasound 2250, A21+ and Rotel 1592. Which one would you pick of these to drive the KEF R900. A21+ is twice as much priced as the 2250 with a similar wattage and hence the confusion. Yes if these do not improve greatly then I will go for a Pre which should have AirPlay capability as well.

Last edited:
Most welcome rvr2000. The Peachtree Nova300 is 300w rms @ 8 ohms, 2 channels driven & 450 w rms @4 ohms, class D with a high damping factor. It can practically drive most of the speakers going by the user reviews but it comes with an additional streaming module. Anyways since you have already thought of a pre & power route with the Parasound opinion, FM Raghupb would be able to throw more light on them since he is the Parasound expert.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the detailing. Im unable to get a trial of the amps. Contemplating between Parasound 2250, A21+ and Rotel 1592. Which one would you pick of these to drive the KEF R900. A21+ is twice as much priced as the 2250 with a similar wattage and hence the confusion. Yes if these do not improve greatly then I will go for a Pre which should have AirPlay capability as well.
I have heard A21 at a dealer, not the A21+
Yes the Halo line comes with a higher price tag.
Better components, higher peak current, better PS, balanced input, and of course JC blessing.
Halo line is meant to be displayed and shown off, where as NC line are ordinary looking black boxes.
The price to performance ratio is definitely higher with NC series, but then premium is nice if one can afford it :)
Not familiar with the Rotel 1592.

If it's any solace, KEF and Parasound team up when doing trade shows in the US.
You may want to write to KEF & Parasound. I know Parasound folks are very prompt in replying.

FYI:
The little niggle I have is for the NC275v2 and this was bought as a B-stock unit.
The impressions were captured straight out of the box.
May be I should hook it up back to the KEFs and check if they sound any different now.

Cheers,
Raghu

This is good option.Stereo amp will sound better than adding a Poweramp to SR7011.
Yes I certainly agree. Thought will first try with Power amp and later if required add a Pre since I am told the Power Pre separates option is always better than an integrated.

I have heard A21 at a dealer, not the A21+
Yes the Halo line comes with a higher price tag.
Better components, higher peak current, better PS, balanced input, and of course JC blessing.
Halo line is meant to be displayed and shown off, where as NC line are ordinary looking black boxes.
The price to performance ratio is definitely higher with NC series, but then premium is nice if one can afford it :)
Not familiar with the Rotel 1592.

If it's any solace, KEF and Parasound team up when doing trade shows in the US.
You may want to write to KEF & Parasound. I know Parasound folks are very prompt in replying.

FYI:
The little niggle I have is for the NC275v2 and this was bought as a B-stock unit.
May be I should hook it up back to the KEFs and check if they sound any different now.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thank you again. I did speak to both Kef and Parasound. KEF didn’t have much to say and Parasound obviously recommended the Halo while maintaining that NC is also a good option. Wondering if I have to spend double the amount on Halo or go with NC2250 since its only to do with power. Im also curious to know which of the two (Power and Pre) contribute more to the quality of the music. Some say it is a mix of both and another opinion says Power only boosts the signal that comes from the Pre and hence Pre is more important. Any thoughts.
My main concern in terms of quality is that there is a lot of unwanted bass and kind of boom effect when hearing thru the AVR. I tried everything in terms of settings and tone control but there is something missing I feel.

Recently I have connected Marantz MM7025 to Marantz NR1608 av receiver. Now I am getting more articulated sound with more tight and agile bass but at little lower pace. Vocal seems to be bold and little forward. String instruments sounds more refined and one can distinguish between different types. My speakers Bostan Acoustic A360 are laid back in nature but now they have opened up bit more in high frequency response but still not much airy or crisp . May be these are the limitations of my speaker which limits the performance of Marantz.

Thank you again. I did speak to both Kef and Parasound. KEF didn’t have much to say and Parasound obviously recommended the Halo while maintaining that NC is also a good option. Wondering if I have to spend double the amount on Halo or go with NC2250 since its only to do with power. Im also curious to know which of the two (Power and Pre) contribute more to the quality of the music. Some say it is a mix of both and another opinion says Power only boosts the signal that comes from the Pre and hence Pre is more important. Any thoughts.
My main concern in terms of quality is that there is a lot of unwanted bass and kind of boom effect when hearing thru the AVR. I tried everything in terms of settings and tone control but there is something missing I feel.
If Parasound is widely available in your geo, HINT6 is also a good option (if it is in your budget range).
It comes with a Sabre DAC, HT bypass, et al. Does DSD, 32 bit etc

From a feature perspective, the pre/pwr combo from NC lineup (NC200Pre and NC2250/2125/275v2) will tick most boxes.
No Airplay though. A good preamp can make a big difference in listening experience.
Definitely more affordable as compared to Halo lineup.
NC200Pre has the Halo P5 DAC (Burr Brown implementation). I like the sound of this.
But the digital side is just basic, 24/192 and no DSD.
Lots of good control options. Tone, balance, sub, HPF, and gain control on the amp.

Try if you can somehow get an audition (even with whatever is there in the store). If necessary, wait till stores open.
Don't hurry this decision; big monies are involved here.

Edit/FYI: This is how I use Parasound pre/pwr in my chain
The AVR is relegated to do only movie stuff.

Cheers,
Raghu

Attachments

• rig.pdf
    513.3 KB · Views: 11
I have a pair of KEF R900 connected to a Marantz SR7011. Although an AV Receiver, it does a decent job in terms of Stereo performance. My main sources are Spotify and Youtube streamed via Airplay. Im also planning for a CD and Vinyl player.
The issue is I feel the Stereo performance could be better considering the Speakers handling capacity. I have been contemplating on the following two options to better the Stereo performance :
1. Connect a Power Amp to the Marantz. Been looking at Parasound 2250, Rotel 1590 etc. any suggestions would be helpful. If connecting the Power Amp doesn’t improve much, then adding a Pre Amp (with HT bypass) to the above.
3. Connecting an Integrated Stereo Amplifier (with HT bypass) to the Marantz. The amp to be of suitable enough to drive the KEF and also include airplay.

Appreciate receiving suggestions on the above please. As for power amplifier I have been unable to decide on the right model and hence any advice will help.

Before you invest in the Power amp etc.....try to tweak the AVR....manually adjust the speaker levels of the fronts by 1db at a time and check if there is any difference. Hear your favorite song or music which you are very familiar with.....thats the reference you need to keep in mind...

I dont use the Audyssey setting result of Reference but keep it on FLAT....I use the SR60xx series....try these things first and if all fails then go ahead for power amps etc.....

@rvr2000
Sometimes it was:

Cheers,
Raghu
Interesting video that i came across regarding sound quality vis-a-vis watts of an amp, why avrs don’t sound great with music and why some lower powered amps sound better than those with higher power ratings:

I have tried Poweramp like Rotel 5ch ,Marantz 7055 connected to Marantz ,Yamaha Avrs, yes it does control speakers well, but signature of AVR pre doesn't change much.When you need good music, then adding a good stereo amp with Ht bypass can be better option.

<snip>
<snip>
Well, well ....
I did try the hookup again
Allo-Digione (Coax) --> Parasound 200Pre (Preamp) --> Parasound 275v2 (Power) --> KEF R300s

It sounds much more livelier than I remember. The only change is the source.
Previously it was Foobar on laptop via USB, now its Allo-Digione via coax.
The overall sound still remains squeaky clean, definitely better separation and nuance on instruments.
Very clean and linear power delivery (of course this is the preamp).
I'm pleasantly surprised :D

Could not push up the volume on some tracks as family was home (Sunday evening).
Will try again in a couple of days. The KEFs I know like a bit of fun on the power side of things.

Cheers,
Raghu

Well, well ....
I did try the hookup again
Allo-Digione (Coax) --> Parasound 200Pre (Preamp) --> Parasound 275v2 (Power) --> KEF R300s

It sounds much more livelier than I remember. The only change is the source.
Previously it was Foobar on laptop via USB, now its Allo-Digione via coax.
The overall sound still remains squeaky clean, definitely better separation and nuance on instruments.
Very clean and linear power delivery (of course this is the preamp).
I'm pleasantly surprised :D

Could not push up the volume on some tracks as family was home (Sunday evening).
Will try again in a couple of days. The KEFs I know like a bit of fun on the power side of things.

Cheers,
Raghu
Sounds interesting. So following the thread i have kind of narrowed down to NC2250 and P6 Preamp (or any other Pre amp with AirPlay/HT bypass) or go with the Hint 6. Both the options fall in the same price range. Any thoughts?

I have tried Poweramp like Rotel 5ch ,Marantz 7055 connected to Marantz ,Yamaha Avrs, yes it does control speakers well, but signature of AVR pre doesn't change much.When you need good music, then adding a good stereo amp with Ht bypass can be better option.
Thank you. I auditioned the Hegel H360 and somewhat couldnt appreciate the performance, probably bcos it sounded flat. May be my judgment is wrong. Hence skeptical of going for an integrated amp.. Instead trying to add power and later pre if required.

Sounds interesting. So following the thread i have kind of narrowed down to NC2250 and P6 Preamp (or any other Pre amp with AirPlay/HT bypass) or go with the Hint 6. Both the options fall in the same price range. Any thoughts?

If you are not interested in balanced IO, DSD, 32-bit, etc do consider
NC200Pre + NC2250
It'll save you a bunch of money. Also HINT6/P6 has Sabre DAC; some find this too bright.

If going for IA and budget wise you are OK with it, HINT6 may be a good option.
HINT6 will give you HT bypass; don't think Parasound products have Airplay support.

I will reiterate again, if possible, try to hear them out at least once before committing.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you are not interested in balanced IO, DSD, 32-bit, etc do consider
NC200Pre + NC2250
It'll save you a bunch of money. Also HINT6/P6 has Sabre DAC; some find this too bright.

If going for IA and budget wise you are OK with it, HINT6 may be a good option.
HINT6 will give you HT bypass; don't think Parasound products have Airplay support.

I will reiterate again, if possible, try to hear them out at least once before committing.

Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks much. The products are not even available here. The dealer needs to import them. Thats the issue and no stores here offer auditions for such audiophile brands. So Im all the more careful and reading all available resources and seeking experts like yourselves. Budget is not a constraint on Hint 6. Just that I am skeptical of getting into the IA zone cos recently I heard the Hegel H360 on Kef900 in a store and I didnt much like its performance. Found it kind of bland and unappealing to the ears. Not sure how Hint 6 would compare to the Hegel. So with my limited knowledge thought NC2250+ some Pre would be better.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back