Media Player With Confirmed DTS HD-MA and Dolby True HD

Hey guys,

I've found this thread via google, because I'm also searching for a media player which will play my .mkv files with DTS Master Audio / Dolby True HD.

I've an Onkyo TX-SR508 AV-Receiver which can decode this sound formats.

I think one of the main problems is that almost every media player could passthrough those formats when playing an BD-ISO File at the very most.

I don't have ISO Files, because I don't need the extras, trailer and so on.

For me the film itself is enough, but with the best sound I could get.

Therefore I bought "Pavtube ByteCopy" to make a backup of my original BD-Discs. This Program could insert DTS Master Audio / Dolby True HD into a .mkv file.

Now I need a media player which sends these to my av-receiver which should decode it the same way I would have insert the original Blue-Ray disc.

And when I read along this thread I learnd that there are not many players which could do this as I want.

Which player could do this job (.mkv with HD sound passthrough to AV-Receiver)?

Wha about the Playon!HD2?

Last edited:
Some of the players with confirmed HD audio pass through are from Kaiboer, himedia etc. You can look for himedia 600b or wait for the xtreamer prodigy.

The himedia 600b could do the job and seems to be a good device.

Should I wait for the xtreamer prodigy? It has a newer Realtek Chip 1186 with 250 MHz more CPU Speed. 256 MB more RAM and a HDMI 1.4 interface for 3D. In Germany the pice is 179 without HDD.

Is the CPU and RAM sufficient to wait until release? I don't need 3D, internet access, dvb-t or wlan. The rest of the features seem so be the same.

As I mentioned earlier the most important feature I need is playing .mkv files with HD Audio passthrough to my AV.

Update:

I've just ordered an himedia 600b from uk. I will give it a try. I think it's better for me because it should be more sophisticated.

Last edited:
Hi all.... May be I'm missing a basic logic here....
Any media player having Kodi should be able to pass through lossless audio. Because pass through is an internal function of Kodi software itself. Media player doesn't matter here. Is this understanding totally wrong??

Or ....the hardware itself in some mediaplayers, can not read and pass through lossless audio ???
Can anyone explain please....

Regards,
Chaitanya

Any media player having Kodi should be able to pass through lossless audio. Because pass through is an internal function of Kodi software itself. Media player doesn't matter here. Is this understanding totally wrong??

Or ....the hardware itself in some mediaplayers, can not read and pass through lossless audio ???

Regards,
Chaitanya
I am also having the same question here i've H96 pro Plus which is more expensive than Tx3mini and better processor Amlogic S912 but it does not pass through DTS-HD audio from Kodi it sends only 2ch audio out through HDMI, read so many reviews which says S912 does not pass-through dts-hd audio Iam still wondering how to fix the issue.

I am also having the same question here i've H96 pro Plus which is more expensive than Tx3mini and better processor Amlogic S912 but it does not pass through DTS-HD audio from Kodi it sends only 2ch audio out through HDMI, read so many reviews which says S912 does not pass-through dts-hd audio Iam still wondering how to fix the issue.
Could you check the settings in KODI for audio.
Is it selected as pass through and DTS and Dolby Tru HD capable receiver is selected or there is no option as such.?
Try selecting expert mode in KODI audio settings and see.Instead KODI media player try using default media player with pass thru and check.

Last edited:

Regards,
Chaitanya
Could you check the settings in KODI for audio.
Is it selected as pass through and DTS and Dolby Tru HD capable receiver is selected or there is no option as such.?
Try selecting expert mode in KODI audio settings and see.Instead KODI media player try using default media player with pass thru and check.

Could you share a screenshot of the audio settings menu in kodi?.. Hope you have disabled down sampling to 2.0...

Sorry guys i was wrong, yes before i was trying with out even connecting the Box to my AV receiver it was directly connected to my TV but now after connecting to the receiver i got to see these settings, after enabling these pass-through option i see it really passes through dts-hd, hdma & true hd audio to my AV-receiver, All these while i was connecting my av receiver to TV and i had connected my HDD to TV the audio was from TV through HDMI(ARC) all i use to get is only dolby-digital and dts audio but the sound quality and the surround sound was still great.
I could not spend much time on the box but i am eager to know/wanted to check with you people, the pass through audio what i am getting right now from this H96 pro plus box will it be lossless audio or will i lose some details? how do i figure out?

I could not spend much time on the box but i am eager to know/wanted to check with you people, the pass through audio what i am getting right now from this H96 pro plus box will it be lossless audio or will i lose some details? how do i figure out?

Once you have set pass through audio in settings, play a BR Rips with either Dts HDMA / Dolby True HD (or) Dolby Atmos/ Dts X.. The display on the AVR should show the same.. If so, then your setting is right..

Once you have set pass through audio in settings, play a BR Rips with either Dts HDMA / Dolby True HD (or) Dolby Atmos/ Dts X.. The display on the AVR should show the same.. If so, then your setting is right..
Ya! that's what i ment before i could not see the dts-hd, true hd & hdma display on my av-receiver when i was playing the same file through my tv's usb now after playing from the H96 box i could get all these displays on my receiver, my concern is about the audio quality even though i see getting these display on my AVR will there be any loss in the audio quality in terms of details, for e.g. if i buy a pioneer bdp-180 and connect my hdd will it have the same quality or will there be any difference in terms of quality.

Ya! that's what i ment before i could not see the dts-hd, true hd & hdma display on my av-receiver when i was playing the same file through my tv's usb now after playing from the H96 box i could get all these displays on my receiver, my concern is about the audio quality even though i see getting these display on my AVR will there be any loss in the audio quality in terms of details, for e.g. if i buy a pioneer bdp-180 and connect my hdd will it have the same quality or will there be any difference in terms of quality.

Dts HDMA / Dolby True HD (or) Dolby Atmos/ Dts X are lossless codec's..Both these devices will pass thru audio / bit-stream to AVR, which will decode the audio codec..

It really shouldn't matter what the playback device is, whether Android Tv Box (or) BR player & there should be no difference in sound quality either..

You have to make sure that your source is able to pass thru it.
There are mixed reviews on BDP 180 with External HDD support which stopped me to invest on BDP 180.
if your source is capable to do pass thru ,, thats it ...Voila !!!..its piece of cake no need to worry about quality.IMO. Considering you are having good working AVR obviously:)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back