Mini Led Vs FALD

Donivlapog

Mini Led is going to take the market by storm in 2021 and subsequent years. I find it somewhat similar to a FALD technology with smaller LEDs arrayed fully illuminating the LCD screen with localized dimming for jet black images. Not an emissive technology but one up over the FALD technology. However will it necessarily do better than a FALD in the minds of people? After all it is still LCD display.

While the Mini LEDs might shorten the gap between FALD LCDs and OLEDs, the difference in picture quality (especially pitch blacks) will surely be evident compared to OLEDs upto a certain viewing distance.

But Mini LED TVs can become an inexpensive alternative to get (almost) OLED level picture quality for most users.

Many High end FALD from Sony & LG are overpriced & already in OLED territory. Mainly due to customer doubts over OLED reliability (burn-in issue), companies are able to price these models so high.Same goes for QLED, which are prices at par/ above OLED in some cases by Samsung.I think Mini-LED will be priced similarly (very high).All these technologies are significantly cheaper than OLED

While the Mini LEDs might shorten the gap between FALD LCDs and OLEDs, the difference in picture quality (especially pitch blacks) will surely be evident compared to OLEDs upto a certain viewing distance.

But Mini LED TVs can become an inexpensive alternative to get (almost) OLED level picture quality for most users.
I wish to compare FALD and mini LEDs in this thread. Oleds I leave them alone.

I think mini LED is a stopgap until a true rival to OLED is available. Manufacturers like Samsung can definitely refine mini LED tech which is again based on traditional FLAD available today.

Micro LED tech looks promising.

So only an emissive technology can replace OLED you are saying. Hmmm may be, may be not.

So only an emissive technology can replace OLED you are saying. Hmmm may be, may be not.
That is the fundamental characteristic differentiating both technologies. It is how it is :) but tech landscape keeps changing. We never know.

LCDs haven been able to come close to Plasma and OLED in some ways but not there yet. It has been more than a decade and LCD is still playing catch-up in terms of pure picture quality.

Blooming is the only issue to transmissive technologies. Mini LEDs will limit that. Emissive technologies such as plasma and oled were on the brink of ejecting crystal displays out of contention but haven't managed yet and one of the two have even been tossed out of contemporary usage. Kinda like Maruti 800 and Mercedes story. We can't aim to replace Maruti 800 with Mercedes in entierity. But Maruti has their own popular cars like Ciaz Vitara Brezza, Ertiga.

In short
Picture Clarity
OLED>Mini Led >>FALD
Why ?
Mini led is more like FALD with high local dimming zones so more contrast, LG already announced their mini LED which sit below OLED and above thier FALD lineup
But I guess Reality Price will be
OLED<=Mini Led > FALD

Oled is a clear winner. Why to bring it's supremacy over and over again?
Because that is the benchmark with with both these technologies are going to be measured. And it is far from a clear winner. It does have its weaknesses. Just because you want to wish it away doesnt mean that people will stop thinking about it.
Any particular reason (e.g. budget) which is causing you to discount oled? in that case you can post a thread in this section for your specific requirement
otherwise if you start a general discussion - folks will bring up any comparisons which they feel are relevant

Because that is the benchmark with with both these technologies are going to be measured. And it is far from a clear winner. It does have its weaknesses. Just because you want to wish it away doesnt mean that people will stop thinking about it.
Any particular reason (e.g. budget) which is causing you to discount oled? in that case you can post a thread in this section for your specific requirement
otherwise if you start a general discussion - folks will bring up any comparisons which they feel are relevant
Well, I have a Sony 75" 8000h TV to be replaced by a FALD 9500H powered by the X1 ultimate processor, provided I get a nod from Sony. That's the best affordable 75" screen with the best possible picture quality after OLED which does not have a 77" in Sony Inventory list.
My only concern is however mini led in the near future may replace FALD and want to compare these two technologies. X1 ultimate processor is the main reason for me to accept the exchange and pay the extra 1.68 lakhs difference if given a choice, not the FALD technology alone. In this case I am disregarding OLED as I can get only a 65" OLED and that is not going to be accepted by my family members.

Well, I have a Sony 75" 8000h TV to be replaced by a FALD 9500H powered by the X1 ultimate processor, provided I get a nod from Sony. That's the best affordable 75" screen with the best possible picture quality after OLED which does not have a 77" in Sony Inventory list.
My only concern is however mini led in the near future may replace FALD and want to compare these two technologies. X1 ultimate processor is the main reason for me to accept the exchange and pay the extra 1.68 lakhs difference if given a choice, not the FALD technology alone. In this case I am disregarding OLED as I can get only a 65" OLED and that is not going to be accepted by my family members.
I think It would have been good if you mentioned this scenario in the initial post itself, so, that everyone would have got the correct context in which this thread is created.

I think It would have been good if you mentioned this scenario in the initial post itself, so, that everyone would have got the correct context in which this thread is created.
That's the premise but I don't need a discussion based on that. I am looking for mini led Vs FALD as I do believe FALD will be replaced by mini led pretty soon. Oled has a jet black bloom free content and although the image retention issues are to be considered, it's brightness being automatically controlled and it's pricing being huge for 75"(well, 77" to be precise) variant is already creating way too much mind wavering thoughts and I helped myself to shortlisting Sony 75" 9500h. Why should I have discussions opened on that topic and have multiple confusing points of views? So I intend to just discuss about the question that pricks me - is Mini led going to be replacing FALD soon?

Theoretically mini LED should be superior to current FLAD displays.

Mini LED still uses a backlight filter. So a lot depends on how manufacturers opt to implement mini LED technology. Samsung mislead consumers with LED displays.

I presume that as with all new display tech, the first generation will have some issues and possibly be expensive that should be refined with yearly updates.

If you are planning to replace current Sony then wait for Jan CES announcements.

Found some reviews:
Digital Trends - TCL mini LED review
HDTVTest - TCL mini LED review

mini LEDs are also FALD displays. It's just that instead of regular LEDs, they use smaller LEDs. This leads to more dimming zones than regular LCD displays. There is no inherent difference in technology between regular FALD and miniLED based FALD displays. They are just an evolution.

Traditional FALD will just be a cheaper alternative soon, with mini LED being a more premium one. But that's just a prediction.

Budget owners will finally have a real FALD Tv's to choose from once MINI LED becomes mainstream tech. I think OLED will still remain top tier if LG manages to make an OLED bright enough say upwards of 1000nits.

Mini LEDs can reach 8k resolution I think. As the emitting diodes are going to be smaller in size, more pixel brightness and sharpness can be expected in the crystal display.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back