Mini Led Vs FALD

My predicament is if my father has to watch a test match non stop for 5 days like the ongoing Ind Vs Aus test series very early up in the day (he never turns off the TV).... A person nearing 80 would have difficulties adjusting to projectors, their controls, not to the mention long duration lamp usage etc.. TV is for rough use but a projector I am not so sure.

Slightly OT but not too much - I have never viewed HDR content on an HDR screen as I rarely watch movies or TV and mostly in front of my PC. But now I am planning to buy one and waiting for the Tosh U79 to come back in stock. But I have a usability question I am really curious about.

On my PC monitor at night - I have to set the brightness levels to a very low number like 28-30 even that is too high for my eyes but I do that because of harsh eyestrain and also because color accuracy suffers - I use a X-Rite display calibration device that requires a minimum of 100nits to correctly perform then I lower brightness drastically after calibration. I do use a pure white led table lamp behind the monitor to ease the strain and it works a bit but still not happy and any more lower levels really risk reducing color accuracy.

I use an LG Plasma that is a 768p 10yrs old model because I could not justify purchasing an expensive TV all these years with my minimal to zero TV viewing until a year back. Here too the best PQ is at panel brightness set to 100% but I have to lower it to make it acceptably comfortable to view.

So how do you folks watch HDR content which requires 700nits and above comfortably? How can I enjoy HDR content if I cannot tolerate the huge brightness and contrast levels? Again I am asking because I have never ever viewed real HDR content on a real HDR display even for a few minutes. Even when not viewing HDR content - how will a person with sensitive eyes tolerate the high nit brightness of these new expensive HDR TVs?

And lastly Do FALD and mini/micro LED technologies help ease the strain for sensitive eyes?

Slightly OT but not too much - I have never viewed HDR content on an HDR screen as I rarely watch movies or TV and mostly in front of my PC. But now I am planning to buy one and waiting for the Tosh U79 to come back in stock. But I have a usability question I am really curious about.

On my PC monitor at night - I have to set the brightness levels to a very low number like 28-30 even that is too high for my eyes but I do that because of harsh eyestrain and also because color accuracy suffers - I use a X-Rite display calibration device that requires a minimum of 100nits to correctly perform then I lower brightness drastically after calibration. I do use a pure white led table lamp behind the monitor to ease the strain and it works a bit but still not happy and any more lower levels really risk reducing color accuracy.

I use an LG Plasma that is a 768p 10yrs old model because I could not justify purchasing an expensive TV all these years with my minimal to zero TV viewing until a year back. Here too the best PQ is at panel brightness set to 100% but I have to lower it to make it acceptably comfortable to view.

So how do you folks watch HDR content which requires 700nits and above comfortably? How can I enjoy HDR content if I cannot tolerate the huge brightness and contrast levels? Again I am asking because I have never ever viewed real HDR content on a real HDR display even for a few minutes. Even when not viewing HDR content - how will a person with sensitive eyes tolerate the high nit brightness of these new expensive HDR TVs?

And lastly Do FALD and mini/micro LED technologies help ease the strain for sensitive eyes?
Try using a bias lighting (led strip). That eases with the eyes.

First of all, let me explain about the eye thing. Your eyes aren't strained by a particular technology. If a photon has high energy, it has high energy and that will hurt your eyes if your pupils are opened a lot (generally the case in dim environments). So if the exact same stuff is rendered on an LCD, a plasma or an OLED all will hurt your eyes equally. Most of the headache is caused by PWM flickering in some TVs, but that can be true for an LCD or an OLED. Even if you turn on a light bulb after prolonged darkness, it will have the exact same effect.

Now, with regards to HDR it's mastered differently. My U79 gives me a bit of eye strain at night in SDR at even 50% backlight while in HDR 100% is fine. That's because HDR uses absolute grading v/s relative on SDR. Let me try to explain a bit more.

Most of the SDR content is mastered at 100 or 200 nits. Say someone mastered it at 100 nits. Now, the way SDR is rendered it is at a relative scale (it's called a gamma curve). So if a scene was shown at 70 nits on the mastering monitor, it will appear as 70% of the max brightness of any TV. If you play that on a 1000 nit TV it will be displayed at 700 nits as that's how that works. That's why it's very difficult to view content on SDR on high brightness TV in a dark room.

HDR content, however, is an absolute scale content. So say the mastering studio saw the scene at 70 nits it will look 70 nits on your TV set as well, it doesn't matter if your TV is 300 nit, 500 nit or 4000 nits. HDR content is generally mastered in almost pitch black rooms. And if you want accurate details, that's how you should look at it too. The 600-700 nits will be displayed on a very small area for a short duration mostly for the impact of the scene and most of the movie will be actually rendered around 150 nits or so. The content won't be 'too bright to hurt eyes' because the guys mastering it wouldn't do something so stupid.

Most of the SDR content is mastered at 100 or 200 nits. Say someone mastered it at 100 nits. Now, the way SDR is rendered it is at a relative scale (it's called a gamma curve). So if a scene was shown at 70 nits on the mastering monitor, it will appear as 70% of the max brightness of any TV. If you play that on a 1000 nit TV it will be displayed at 700 nits as that's how that works. That's why it's very difficult to view content on SDR on high brightness TV in a dark room.

HDR content, however, is an absolute scale content. So say the mastering studio saw the scene at 70 nits it will look 70 nits on your TV set as well, it doesn't matter if your TV is 300 nit, 500 nit or 4000 nits.

Ohh k - so is it the case that only SDR content will cause eyestrain now and not the HDR?

I'll take a stab at this from a different angle - lots of computing, less TV/ Movie watcher - maybe same boat as you.

If you have an X Rite Color Calib then you're graphics/ color oriented profession or similar leanings?

This is what I did - LIFX bulbs & China Balls for very tunable diffused lighting - Diffused evening lighting & early sleeping hours 10pm-4am change eye stress to deep eye rest - Ever had a long tiring day - a trek or picnic or marathon or workout.. where you had dinner at 7-8 and crashed by 9/10 pm? ... Circadian Bio Dynamics.
Wake & Sleep with the Sun.. or if not atleast try to give your eyes that lighting. Dont use direct lamps.. DIFFUSED & TUNED is key.

So, unless I am searching for something tiny or a mosquito, TUBELIGHTS are off - whats sad is most of folks I know use White Tube lights - CFLs and LEDs - and they are worst in terms of Eye Rest an Sleep Rythns.

Add to it Eye drops: Rose water

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back