Mirrorless cameras anyone?

frnd08

I'm actually thinking of getting a NEX 7. Have been hearing a lot of great reviews about the camera. And because it's mirrorless its likely to be a lot less bulky than standard dslrs. Anyone else jumping on the mirrorless bandwagon?

i bought an olympus Ep1 with 14mm to 42 mm kit lens for about 18K from flipkart.
the Nex7 however is in a different league and is compared to the Ep3.
the Ep1 though slow is much cheaper and has more lenses available. the picture quality is good.
the mirrorless camera because it is small can be lugged around easily and one tends to shoot more frequently.

Last edited:
I'm using a Leica rangefinder. They are easy to carry around, quiet and very good for street or similar photography. Cost is on the higher side but the image quality is excellent.

i have carried the Ep1 (4.5" X 2.8" X 1.6", to that add about 2 inch lens protrusion, 344g) in my anorak, jacket etc pocket.
however it would still be too big for your trousers or the shirt pockets.

Micro fourthirds (mainly olympus and panasonic) now have good ecosystem and set of lenses like Panasonic 100-300. If you are starting into serious photography, these cameras are very good starting point. Lenses are going to be most important. So plan around cost of lenses.

The overall size would be much less compared to DSLR, but not so much that you can carry them in pocket.

And then some other things matter. For e.g. olympus cameras (e.g. EP3) have built in image stabilization in the body. It helps a lot. On the other hand, the focusing uses contrast-based mechanism which, in some circumstances, works poorly compared to DSLR cousins.

I have a NEX3 with a kit and a 16mm and am thinking about selling it off to go for NEX7.

I haven't gone for M4/3 for the size of the sensor and the price of the lenses and body. NEX gives a lot for its money. I use Pentax, Jupiter lenses (more than 40 years old) on it so I am not much bothered about Sony lenses. As any present day lenses to me cost a lot.

Size wise anything to me is fine if I am willing to carry along. there was a time when I carry EOS1-HS, EOS620 and atleast 4 lenses for the whole day and so many of you out there.
Mirrorless design has reduced body size but not much and lenses for the reason of Physics and sensor size still can not be much small.
Feeling small is really a perspective. A photographer having a view camera will think EP1 as a toy and a photographer used to with Canon S95 considers Nex3 a bit big.
I have somehow lost the joy of carrying out photography myself, hence every camera seems big to me.

I have a Panasonic Lumix G2, a micro four third. If I had the money I would probably have bought a DSLR with a APS sized sensor. While the picture quality is decent (far better than my Canon S3 IS), and the ability to change lenses gives the flexibility, the low light performance isn't as good as a new nikon APS sized sensor.

It doesn't fit in my pocket. I might be able to if I use a pancake lens (14 or 17 mm), but the stock 14-42 lens protrudes about 2 inches.

I was about to pick NEX5 when Engadget put up details about NEX7.
I'm waiting for the price to come down to point at my eco-system a bit.

I was about to pick NEX5 when Engadget put up details about NEX7.
I'm waiting for the price to come down to point at my eco-system a bit.

exactly. thats where i saw it first. the initial reviews have blown me away.

When you are looking for an interchangeable lens camera, top priority is the selection of lenses. When I went through the net (briefly), Nex 7 doesn't have a lot of lenses to choose from. Before buying make sure you can live with what lenses Sony or other vendors have to offer.

If you want to use it as just P&S it's definitely an overkill. My 2 cents...

When you are looking for an interchangeable lens camera, top priority is the selection of lenses. When I went through the net (briefly), Nex 7 doesn't have a lot of lenses to choose from. Before buying make sure you can live with what lenses Sony or other vendors have to offer.

If you want to use it as just P&S it's definitely an overkill. My 2 cents...

That is an issue, yes. But Sony will be coming out with more lenses soon. Also the important thing here is that the electronic view finder is way more accurate than the ones found in the common dslrs. It will help take better photos without having to fuss around too much.

NEX are nice. but they have a very big issue. as faced by a friend recently.

you start off with the NEX. use it and start exploring its functions and all. after a while you use it and then you wish it felt like an SLR, because it certainly shoots like an SLR.

iam just saying, you can only grow so much with the NEX. i would prefer a DSLR..

NEX are nice. but they have a very big issue. as faced by a friend recently.

you start off with the NEX. use it and start exploring its functions and all. after a while you use it and then you wish it felt like an SLR, because it certainly shoots like an SLR.

iam just saying, you can only grow so much with the NEX. i would prefer a DSLR..

Do you mean being big and bulky?
Yes many people actually prefer the heft of large DSLRs

Hmmm...I do not think so. I think till Nex 5, it has a missing thing called a view finder. Otherwise it actually has advantages over a dSLR body in perspective of a candid/street/travel photographer who wants it light, unobtrusive.

User interface is horrible for the menu drive massacre, but for me who works with controls of Programme mode, ISO, exposure compensation and RAW, NEX is quite apt.

Situation goes against NEX the moment one attaches big lenses starting from focal length 100mm or more (IMO).

Nex 5N and down below is still now for some particular genre photography only. Definitely not for sports, birding.

But what wonderful sensors they have:clapping:.

Do you mean being big and bulky?
Yes many people actually prefer the heft of large DSLRs

yes. and another thing is the fun of using a viewfinder. plus the mechanical sound of the mirror moving up while clicking. i mean the NEX clicks great pics.... better than many SLRs. but it doesnt 'feel' like one.

cheers

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back