Movies Discount and Offer threads :D

Mia culpa. Winter spirits penning down for me these days ;-)
I feel it was copied from a DVD, and not an original BR mastering though I brought DDLJ BR from amazon. Other BRs are giving 720p (ACER5370BD) resolution including hindi movies like Veerzara and Dhoom , but somehow DDLJ is still in DVD quality.

Others are giving 720 because your projector is limited to 720p max resolution so it is downscaling from 1080.

I still cant believe how u cud get ddlj BD so bad ? It is highly improbable. Does your display actually show 480p or 576 (pal/ntsc variant) for the same? If it does then definitely some packaging mistake and they ve piut dvd in BD cover but i still dont believe that things happens.

I have a BD drive as well and if you want i can attach few screenshots of my BD for you to compare here let me know if that will help.

That's a good news for someone like me, who doesn't know these details & only believe in good view.
@HTFAN17, can you pls guide us which settings we can have a look on in our BDP Player. As I mentioned above, I bought Spiderman on amazon at a supersaver deal (also mentioned in some URL above in my post). However, its pretty grainy when I watch it on my 110 inch screen.
Having said that, I can watch another movie using a USB drive that is so excellent on big screen.

I will be glad to help but i am afraid the help would be limited to what i know about your equipments. I have 120 inch screen and still ddlj looks pretty good to me. With BD player all i can recomend is that resolution should always be set to source direct and upscaling should never be applied. Sharpness and edge enhancement and DNR (noise reduction) levels should always be neutral and color scheme should be 'cinema' any other scheme tends to mess up the pixel structure as far as movies are concerned.

One thing i wonder is do you understand what 'grainy' actually means ? because in my experience it has meant different things to different people.

Somethings about grain

1) Grain in old movies is visible because reel was used instead of hard disc to record and project movies and focus on things other than main actors was not as effectively captured in detail in cameras of that time. that filmic soft look gave them the grainy look when they were convereted to digital format for home video.

2) Grain appears in many news documentaries because they are not set for any particular type of event and so while recording nothing is caliberated in camera to capture anything particular with maximum sharpness. the natural hand held movement of camera exaggarates that grain.

3) Grain is visible in many modern hollywood movies primarily because they deliberately want to incorporate reason 2) above in their fiction story. Not throughout the film but in various scenes, they deliberately tweak some scenes to NOT look sharp and prefer GRAINY Shaky look because it gives them a news documentary shaky feel giving the momentary illusion to audience that the events really happened and affected the movie's characters

Others are giving 720 because your projector is limited to 720p max resolution so it is downscaling from 1080.

I still cant believe how u cud get ddlj BD so bad ? It is highly improbable. Does your display actually show 480p or 576 (pal/ntsc variant) for the same? If it does then definitely some packaging mistake and they ve piut dvd in BD cover but i still dont believe that things happens.

I have a BD drive as well and if you want i can attach few screenshots of my BD for you to compare here let me know if that will help.

Can you give a screen shot of the scene when title of the movie comes up ? Its so muddy in my screen, though later its catching up

Can you give a screen shot of the scene when title of the movie comes up ? Its so muddy in my screen, though later its catching up

Yes no need of that shot actually because i know the story behind it. The title screen shot is actually full on muddy because it was altered for DDLJ's digital transfer . I have a 20 year old pirated dvd and it looked organic and different in its original reel movie format. When it was separately added for 1080p, i am well aware everytime i see that shot it is muddy ('interlacing' is evident to be technically precise) because they didnt do a good job of it. But the movie part right after that should be consistent along with the consistent issue i told about older films- that the unfocussed parts around the actor would look too soft. tell you what look at Na jaane mere dil ko song it has many nice swiss shots which should look good. station scene where he brings her coffee and congratulates her is good looking. Then Tujhe dekha has lot of fields and individual stem of each plant in the fields look good.

Still let me know if you want me to put any other screenshot.

Otherwise i know the movie is of an age (1995) when films were largely soft looking and not shot from the point of view of HD transfers as neither digital projection was present in theatres, nor HD came in until the 2000s.

On its own, the BD may look blurry but what you have to essentially try is compare an actual official DVD simultaneously and i am pretty sure you will be surprised with vast improvement the BD provides.

Yes no need of that shot actually because i know the story behind it. The title screen shot is actually full on muddy because it was altered for DDLJ's digital transfer . I have a 20 year old pirated dvd and it looked organic and different in its original reel movie format. When it was separately added for 1080p, i am well aware everytime i see that shot it is muddy ('interlacing' is evident to be technically precise) because they didnt do a good job of it. But the movie part right after that should be consistent along with the consistent issue i told about older films- that the unfocussed parts around the actor would look too soft. tell you what look at Na jaane mere dil ko song it has many nice swiss shots which should look good. station scene where he brings her coffee and congratulates her is good looking. Then Tujhe dekha has lot of fields and individual stem of each plant in the fields look good.

Still let me know if you want me to put any other screenshot.

Otherwise i know the movie is of an age (1995) when films were largely soft looking and not shot from the point of view of HD transfers as neither digital projection was present in theatres, nor HD came in until the 2000s.

On its own, the BD may look blurry but what you have to essentially try is compare an actual official DVD simultaneously and i am pretty sure you will be surprised with vast improvement the BD provides.

That clarifies it. The moment I see that title, I felt like its not a real one though several other shots were of good quality. Will watch it once more and try to change the perception :)

The problem with Amazon.uk is that many a times both BD and DVD of same title are available together in same box. You can not purchase separately. I do not understand the logic behind that.

IN US/Uk the intention behind this was simple. When Blu rays were launched, in order to promote sale of HD related equipment, even people who bought DVD were given Blu rays as they both came in same box. after few months, the consumer was psychologically bound to buy something that can play his unused Blu ray disc. It was promotion of upgrade mentality. However it still continues.

IN US/Uk the intention behind this was simple. When Blu rays were launched, in order to promote sale of HD related equipment, even people who bought DVD were given Blu rays as they both came in same box. after few months, the consumer was psychologically bound to buy something that can play his unused Blu ray disc. It was promotion of upgrade mentality. However it still continues.
Thanks Htfan...not all movies but some are still coming with BD and DVD of same title together.

Hi All,
Can anyone prefer which country amazon is best for buying BD collections in cheap price. And also help me for the price in shipping. I need some collections which is not available in Amazon India. Example:The Pianist, Abyys...etc.
And Give me suggestions if there any options other than this for purchasing best price BD collections.

Yup, pretty good collection combined with pricing from amazon.it and amazon.co.uk, keep a lookout for deals on all these and the Indian site as well

Finally got my orders from amazon.co.uk delivered yesterday. Got below BRs

Oblivion / Battleship / Immortals / Gladiator / 47 Ronin (5-Disc Set)
Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Box Set (8-Disc Set)

Thank you friends for sharing the sale deals..
and as always, I am putting a hold on BR purchases for some time.. unlesss.. ;-)

Hi,

Wishing all a very Happy New Year

Anyone ordered from Amazon.co.uk ? just wanted to know how much time it takes for delivery via Royal Post ? had ordered BDs since mid Nov and expected around 18dec, online status shows delivered but as there is no tracking no clue where it is...went to local post office twice but still not received.

Cheers

Amazon will refund you the amount if it's not delivered within the stipulated time. If it reaches you later, you can keep it for free..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back