Mumbai Meet Held on 9th May 2010

After going through this thread, I feel like breaking my head. I should have joined you all guys. But some commitments took away from this pleasure.

Spiro,
Please let me know next time when you are again haing this meet. I will definitely come to meet you and have a wonderful time.

This meet helped me learn:

1. Floorstanders are good all-rounders and produce very nice bass but good bookshelves are equally good for small to medium sized rooms.
2. Norge makes pretty good equipment. I could have bought a pair of Millenium speakers and a Norge amp at one-third price of my setup but still could have been happy.
3. After listening to Marantz-Jamo combo for a couple of months, it's difficult to go back to Norge stuff. Howsoever good the Norge stuff is, I could not appreciate Millenium speakers over the Jamo. Millenium produced more bass than the Jamo and highs were pretty shrills. Unbearable at times.
4. Spiro thought Norge was better but maybe I've been listening to Marantz sound, I still feel that my Marantz is sweeter than the Norge. The difference is marginal though.
5. I confirm Magma's claim that most of the DACs out there are not worth their money. Listened to two DACs yesterday (Hemant's Muse(?) and Spiro's Xonar D2X) but neither could impress me to a point that I can jump off my seat and go out in the market for buying one.
6. Hemant's Pioneer CD player did sound distinguishly better, however, I still am not sure whether I will be able to manage to go the CDP way!
7. Reju's DVDP was very good too and it makes me believe that a good DVDP can be a VFM alternative to a CDP.
8. Room size does matter. Before this meet I was slightly disappointed at my setup, especially going for the FS despite of everybody's advice. In fact I had even decided to sell the stuff off. But after the meet I realized that this is my room/house that is culprit and not the system and if I move to a larger house in near future, I will need FS. I stand corrected and I feel that my decision was right.

9. Last but not the least, my ears are sure untrained. While everybody was discussing the differences, I was feeling dumb. :(

bizarre, You moved your system?

No, iAudio. The setup was moved outside of the room for just the meet. I put it back inside as everybody vanished. :D

Hi,bizzare,
I will point out 2 things-

1.Norge are forward sounding & Maranz little smooth & perhaps laidback with Jamo.
Norge produces solid,punchy Bass & Marantz was smooth.Again it depends on personal taste.Before meet ,I had said that Tannoy may not produce better bass with Norge & same I found.With marantz,I felt balanced sound with marantz(with Tannoy)

2.Regarding DVDp610,It was sounding better as we were playing SACD.So you may feel it better than others(we didnt play SACD with D2X).MP3 also sounded better with D2X.I checked flac copied from you( jao na -whats your rashi) with sen HD202 & it sounds superb.The starting notes are much clean & accurate.

So thats my views.

Last edited:
Thanks Spiro,

In that case I can safely assume that I prefer smooth and laidback sound? I think I can. :)

And I wasn't aware of the fact that we were playing SACD on Reju's DVDP. I did hear terms like DVD Audio but then I wasn't sure what that meant.

Anyways, I will need exclusive and focused auditions of DACs in order to determine the difference. And of course I've also started looking at convenience and hence I'm doubtful that something like an HTPC is what I should look at at this point of time. Let's see! :P

hi guys
seems you had a productive fun meet
i had planned on being there but i needed to be elsewhere with family on the last minute

will try to make it the next time

di you guys notice how the sound changes when you reposition speakers or you guys didnt have the time/space to do that

2.Regarding DVDp610,It was sounding better as we were playing SACD.So you may feel it better than others(we didnt play SACD with D2X).MP3 also sounded better with D2X.I checked flac copied from you( jao na -whats your rashi) with sen HD202 & it sounds superb.The starting notes are much clean & accurate.
QUOTE]

It was DVD-A not SACDs...anyway till date SACD is not cracked AFAIK

BTW -sorry for joining late,no net for last 3 days,now acessing from cybercafe'.

Vinay we can have meet at your place ,i think I can arrange 7.1 DTS HD-MA amp .we need some source which gives 7.1 oud DTS HD-MA ( like Blue Ray and some media playesrs) and some material..

Hi Magma,

Well, I felt the time literally flew & by the time we had all the equipments hooked up we were into evening :sad:
But, this being our first meet, am sure we will be better prepared for next time & try things like repositioning speakers & such....
Would be great if you can join us in future meets:)
The first step has been made & I personally feel that future meets will be held on a more regular basis, what say guys:rolleyes:

Cheers!

hi guys
seems you had a productive fun meet
i had planned on being there but i needed to be elsewhere with family on the last minute

will try to make it the next time

di you guys notice how the sound changes when you reposition speakers or you guys didnt have the time/space to do that

BTW -sorry for joining late,no net for last 3 days,now acessing from cybercafe'.

Vinay we can have meet at your place ,i think I can arrange 7.1 DTS HD-MA amp .we need some source which gives 7.1 oud DTS HD-MA ( like Blue Ray and some media playesrs) and some material..

I for one would be very keen to meet Vinay,
A) To meet the man:yahoo:
B) To experience his Theatre:clapping:

Hemant, my friend pls do arrange for the equipments/others pls feel free to do the same. More the merrier I say...

Let us have a rockin' time:yahoo:

Cheers!

Thanks Hemant correcting me,still DVD-A can be superior to CD I suppose.I cld hear the difference.
Regarding next meeting,we can keep it as pure HT-meet.
Vinay has good HT setup & room,Hemant can get Onkyo 606, I can get Tannoy F1 & centre as second BS spk package.

Some one shld get BDp which we are missing.Then go ahead.

Hi,
Though I am staying in Pune, I wish I could be there. Guys please let me know when you are holding this next time. I'll come down with my stereo setup (the setup is entry level, but the best at that budget... see my signature)

BTW I had the fortune of auditioning Usher S520 at Surrealistix's place in Navi Mumbai. How did it sound??? ... well it's not suprising that this newbie having entry level setup is still reeling from the after effects of shock!!!:lol: Will post a detailed experience of that soon. Surrealistix .... Thanks again man, thanks a TON!!

...BTW Surrealistix also expressed interest in Mumbai HFV meet. He also offered his Music room for next meet (check his room here >> http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-video-setup/3034-bliss.html)

Regds,

Even vivekam from Pune is interested for Mumbai meet ,but cldnt manage this time.
We may plan for HT-setup next time.Only problem may be rain.

:rolleyes:, wondering when we shall meet for the next meet :D
AFAIR, the consensus was to visit Vinay's place for a HT & allied equipment review....
Requesting the Mumbai members interested to pls make some tentative plans & date fixture for the same.....

Regards

Next HFV Mumbai-meet in 2010

Hi,
Yes, the meet would depend on Vinay /Surrealistix availablity.

I am planning spkr upgrade during Diwali. In case Diwali (company bonus time :D) is also a deciding factor of purchases by others, then I suggest we meet during or post-diwali >>> So we can taste the Diwali-Audio-Bonanza bought by many among us :yahoo:

...Presently with Monsoons starting, having a meet in next 1-2 months is not the best option anyways... then Diwali is not so far off as it may seem;)

Regds,

In Pune we had heavy shower in evening. I guess Mumbai would also get it soon.
I think we can have this meet post monsoon. So that we stay safe.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back