My final decision..Denon 1713 and Wharfedale DX1

The level setting that Audyssey chooses is based upon the volume that the mic is "hearing" during the calibration. It is sending the test signal through the sub, and setting the volume level so that the test signal received through the mic is at a reference volume. If you increase the volume on the back of the sub before calibration, Audyssey will decrease the sub volume on the receiver to match that reference volume during calibration, and vice-versa. You can alter the volume at the sub or the receiver after calibration with virtually the same result.

Ideally, you would want to set the volume control on the sub so that the volume on the receiver is close to 0dB after calibration. Then, since it is available via remote control, use the sub volume on the receiver to "tweak" your preference after calibration.

Dear friends,
I am new to this forum and only by reading this thread made up my mind to buy a home theater system.
My questions are:
1. Will DX1 be sufficient for my living room sized 25 X 30 feets an 10 feet high?
2. Could i pair it with denon 2113 instead of 1713 so that can be upgraded in future?

Thanks in advance.

-Kanti
I own the DX1 set & they are good speakers, however they are satellites and they will surely not be sufficient to cover you're room size.

Hope some experts here can guide you towards the right ones but do read this too:
Things to think about when buying speakers | The Audiophiliac - CNET News

Dear friends,
I am new to this forum and only by reading this thread made up my mind to buy a home theater system.
My questions are:
1. Will DX1 be sufficient for my living room sized 25 X 30 feets an 10 feet high?
2. Could i pair it with denon 2113 instead of 1713 so that can be upgraded in future?

Thanks in advance.

-Kanti

Nope, they wont be sufficient. Whats your budget? If you can spend a bit more, get the energy take classic, paradigm cinema 100/110 or wharfs own movie star 70+.

2113 is a lot better than the 1713 and i mean 'a lot' better.If you have the cash, get the 2113.

Don't know what you mean by "sufficient", but their little 3-inch drivers won't move much air (i.e., you'll hear them but won't feel any impact). Either one will work fine, the main difference being 7.1 vs 5.1 (the difference in amplifier power is negligible - about half a decibel). Keep in mind that the DX-1 speakers are very inefficient, so they won't come close to playing back at reference level with either one of those receivers.

Thanks Sanjay,
I actually meant impact-full speakers by sufficient. I am primarily looking at the speakers which will be good for movies as well as listening to music. At best I feel that I can stretch my budget to Rs. 75 to 80k at best (including AVR and Speakers).

- Kanti

Nope, they wont be sufficient. Whats your budget? If you can spend a bit more, get the energy take classic, paradigm cinema 100/110 or wharfs own movie star 70+.

2113 is a lot better than the 1713 and i mean 'a lot' better.If you have the cash, get the 2113.

Thanks,
I can actually not think of crossing Rs. 75k may be 80k mark at the moment, but definitely may pour some more money at later stage to make my home theater sound better. How if i buy 2113 with some floorstanding at the moment and buy the rest i.e. center, sub- woofer and rear surround at later stage?
The main problem I am facing is that due to my work schedule I am not able to go and audition many packages but at best I can do is, go and listen to some specific options and choose. So please suggest some models out of which I can choose.

-Kanti

I actually meant impact-full speakers by sufficient.
Then the 3" woofers in the DX-1 won't give you that. See if you can find bookshelf speakers within your budget that have 5-6 inch woofers. Maybe you can forego the subwoofer until later?
I feel that I can stretch my budget to Rs. 75 to 80k at best (including AVR and Speakers).
If you don't forsee yourself ever going doing a 7.1 set-up then you can save yourself some money by getting the 1713 instead of the 2113. Like I said in my last post, the main difference between them is the number of channels; difference in amplifier wattage is negligible, surround processing and room correction are the same.

Compare for yourself: 2113 vs 1713

Since the price difference is significant, the money saved can be used to buy better speakers with decent sized woofers.

Last edited:
Size of the mid-woofer.
70+ has 100 mm dia, while most satellites have max. 75 mm. Technically, that 'should' make the 70+ possess amongst the best SQ in the satellite category. 70+ is also one having the highest weight and dimensions due to its solid construction.
Looks are purely subjective, some hate, some like!

Hi,

I am planning to go for same combination, 1713+ DX 1. Any suggestion on which wire I shall use. Room is not very big..

I am renovating my flat so thinking of putting wires at place first. Any help...!!!

Also any suggestion on Region free BD player?

Last edited:
Hi Fi Mart of ProFx should be a good palce to buy the 1713..Also check out the 1913..

Have you tested the Tannoy 101? they sounded more powerful and warmer tome as compared to the DX1

Heard from someone that audessy not a gud option when there are lots of othere noises..is it true??as i was planning to buy 1713 over 1513 over this feature only..

One more thing .can 1513 be able to drive polk tsi300 ..or 1713 will do the better job..m not going to play movies or music at high volume..

You indeed have a great set-up :licklips:. It looks stunningly beautiful. The work is done with very fine details. Many congratulations..

Did you by any chance had the opportunity to try these with marantz slimline receivers? Additionally what does -20 volume mean (sorry for my ignorance). Is it more than half or 75%.. ?

R, Vinay
Thanks Vinay. I recently bought another pair of DX-1 and now running a 7.1 set up in Audyssey wide mode. Well, with the new HD Blu rays the surround sound is really good. I will some pics later when I click them. I am also running a laptop cooler (this one)on top of the receiver to ensure that the receiver does not get too hot!

In some movies and some sources the volume crosses -20 set up. since the volume is logarithmic it tough for me to say half or more but I still have a lt of headroom before it gets too loud. I did not try any of the slim line receivers though I considered them for some time. SR6006, IMO, during my research offered the needed VFM and especially today it would make even more sense with the lower price.

Thanks Vinay. I recently bought another pair of DX-1 and now running a 7.1 set up in Audyssey wide mode. .

Hi!! How did you manage to get the extra pair & how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking.
Getting the Onkyo 616 or the Denon 2113 & would love to replicate the 7.1.
Cheers!

Hi!! How did you manage to get the extra pair & how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking.
Getting the Onkyo 616 or the Denon 2113 & would love to replicate the 7.1.
Cheers!

I checked locally but they do not have the DX-1 pair so I bought from AV Bristol in UK (via eBay) got it shipped to Germany and brought them with me during my last visit. However AV Bristol will ship it to India too and the price works out the same. I guess I paid around 119 Pounds in all for a piar in Gloss White including shipping

Hope it helps!

Heard from someone that audessy not a gud option when there are lots of othere noises..is it true??as i was planning to buy 1713 over 1513 over this feature only..

Has anybody tried Audessy on Denon-1713 ? Does the outside sound affects the calibration..How to overcome it ? Coz I have not yet tried it and still quite satisfied with the present set up.Still tempted to try it because so many of our friends here in forum recommends it and says it creates miracles.Is it true ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back