My final decision..Denon 1713 and Wharfedale DX1

@ umapati, please wrote down the current setting of speaker levels and then connect the audyessy mike with the AVR and run the auto audyessy setup. Please read the manual for full step-by-step description of the process.

It will surely will help you a lot.

Hi umapati

I have auditioned Wharfedale speakers and its very impressive. But i have audtioned higher range diamond 10.2 front and 10.1for back with subwoofer and centre.

Did you audioned them beofre selecting This DX1HCP?. also did you try Polk TL600 series.

Please suggest.....

Hi umapati

I have auditioned Wharfedale speakers and its very impressive. But i have audtioned higher range diamond 10.2 front and 10.1for back with subwoofer and centre.

Did you audioned them beofre selecting This DX1HCP?. also did you try Polk TL600 series.

Please suggest.....
Hi Ksona..I haven't auditioned the higher range Wharfdale speakers coz I was very much inclined towards DX1..and above that I wanted to stick to my budget only..Actually I started my hunt with Onkyo 3500/4505 OR Denon 1312XP, but gradually after discussing my audition experiences and visiting so many showrooms I increased my budget and finally purchased this system..And its awesome..and if you are talking about Polk TL 1600- i have auditioned that package with Denon 1713 but was slightly disappointed by its subwoofer.You can read my other reviews while on searching the system here:
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/34288-onkyo-4505-yamaha-298-denon-1312xp-3.html#post454967
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/34288-onkyo-4505-yamaha-298-denon-1312xp-2.html#post454725

Last edited:
Finally today I bought "Denon 1713 and Wharfedale DX1" after long research, auditioning Home theater as many as possible and lots of help from valued forum members Jaivelu and Rupam so many other friends in this forum.

Hi Umapati,
Could you please provide a comparison between Whaferdale DX1 and Whaferdale MS-100 HCP? I am confused between these two. I am not able to demo either of these, but I did demo the Whaferdale MS-70+ which I found to be AWESOME!!!!!

On asking the dealer how the DX1 and MS-100 would compare with the MS70+. he was of the view (he had not listened to MS-100, but commented on both the systems based on their specifications) that the DX1 would be similar to MS70+ or might even be better, while the MS-100, having a single full range driver might sound a bit Tinny/compressed/muffled.

Since you have demoed both the speaker systems, could you please provide a comparison. Do the MS-100 sound Tinny/boxy/compressed as compared to DX1?? I was interested in MS-100 due to its better looks, but am worried about the fact that they might sound more Tinny/boxy/compressed than the DX1.

Last edited:
Hi Umapati,
Could you please provide a comparison between Whaferdale DX1 and Whaferdale MS-100 HCP? I am confused between these two. I am not able to demo either of these, but I did demo the Whaferdale MS-70+ which I found to be AWESOME!!!!!

On asking the dealer how the DX1 and MS-100 would compare with the MS70+. he was of the view (he had not listened to MS-100, but commented on both the systems based on their specifications) that the DX1 would be similar to MS70+ or might even be better, while the MS-100, having a single full range driver might sound a bit Tinny/compressed/muffled.

Since you have demoed both the speaker systems, could you please provide a comparison. Do the MS-100 sound Tinny/boxy/compressed as compared to DX1?? I was interested in MS-100 due to its better looks, but am worried about the fact that they might sound more Tinny/boxy/compressed than the DX1.
I did not find it tinny/boxy/compressed..In fact they are also very good speakers..The major difference which I found was DX1 is towards some what warmer side..Both speaker sets are very melodious.but I felt the bass quality was very nice in DX1..I am sure you will love both of them..Nothing to worry..You can select any one of them..

Wharfedale MS-100 never sounds tinny, may be the dealer is trying to clear the old stock of Whaferdale MS-70+ . If you are getting the Demo of Wharfedale DX 1 , then go for it. But I would stay away from Whaferdale MS-70+. Only if you have demoed Whaferdale MS-70+ and liked it lot, then bargain hard for discount.
Wharfedale MS-100 will cost you around 28000/-

Wharfedale MS-100 never sounds tinny, may be the dealer is trying to clear the old stock of Whaferdale MS-70+ . If you are getting the Demo of Wharfedale DX 1 , then go for it. But I would stay away from Whaferdale MS-70+. Only if you have demoed Whaferdale MS-70+ and liked it lot, then bargain hard for discount.
Wharfedale MS-100 will cost you around 28000/-

Hey Rupam....thanks for your help :)!!!! Really appreciate it!!! I really wish I could get a demo for either the DX-1 or MS-100, but unfortunately, there seems to be no dealer who has these speakers in stock (heck...there seems to be no dealer who has wharfedale speakers only apart from bass n treble).

I really did like Wharfedale MS 70+ speakers, but their size, design and colour really put me off (sadly, I do need a good looking set as it will be setup in my living room area), so they are not an option at all. The only reason I went to demo them was because there was no other dealer (from the 10-15 that I called) that had Whaferdale speakers and so I just wanted to get an idea on how Whaferdale sounded in general. The dealer had not heard the MS-100 setup nor the DX-1, so all his suggestions were just based on the spec sheet of the two speakersets.

I have almost decided to go for DX-1, as incase I do not like the sound of MS-100, the thought that DX-1 'could' have sounded better would always play at the back of my mind, thus am taking the safer route since there is no way I can actually demo the speakers (and also there are hardly any reviews of MS-100, while there are tons of reviews for DX-1...and all are positive and descriptive). Personally I liked the design of MS-100 as they just look gorgeous :rolleyes:

Anyways, having said that, almost in all the reviews I read for DX-1, it was stated that the sub-woofer is below par. Is this true? I think Umapati would be able to answer this as he heard both the systems.

Its your decision. Go for DX-1 if your mind says. They are both capable and very good at this price. But MS 100 is so shiny that it adds elegance to your room. Look here after mounting them on wall.

p1020300k.jpg

Yes, websites do reports more feedback about DX -1. But I found a very positive review of Wharfedale MS 100 HCP on a famous German magazine "Heimkino"

I used google translator to read it. :eek:hyeah:

Here is a review of Wharfeldale MS 100 HCP > Wharfedale MS 100 HCP review.pdf

It concludes by saying :

This test proves that Wharfedale has landed with his Moviestar MS 100 has an absolute hit. Besides the chic and timeless
Body design and a surprisingly good equipment package is convincing this compact set out with its dynamic and accurate reproduction of high resolution multi-channel soundtracks, transforming the smaller listening rooms in demanding cinema hall. Because this Wharfedale setup also provides a very fair price-performance ratio, is
it is a perfect solution for home theater beginners

Last edited:
Its your decision. Go for DX-1 if your mind says. They are both capable and very good at this price. But MS 100 is so shiny that it adds elegance to your room. Look here after mounting them on wall.

p1020300k.jpg

Yes, websites do reports more feedback about DX -1. But I found a very positive review of Wharfedale MS 100 HCP on a famous German magazine "Heimkino"

I used google translator to read it. :eek:hyeah:

Here is a review of Wharfeldale MS 100 HCP > Wharfedale MS 100 HCP review.pdf

It concludes by saying :

Frankly....am still 'VERY' confused :(. Heart says MS-100 (for its looks), mind says DX-1 (for playing it safe) :(

Anyways, having said that, almost in all the reviews I read for DX-1, it was stated that the sub-woofer is below par. Is this true? I think Umapati would be able to answer this as he heard both the systems.

Hi..angynagpal,
Don't worry about the quality of sub woofer, coz its par excellence.I have tested it with so many DTS demo DVDs and other music CDs containing deep bass, even with the CD received from our FM Amp_Nut - MR.Dinyaar(Hats off to him for providing me such a nice CD-its a testing engine..:)..).Its awesome..I am sure you will never get disappointed.Even after purchasing this system, last week I got a chance to audition Denon 1713 with Polk audio TLI 2600 and other KEF speakers also , at Profx showroom and I was very much satisfied with my decision.One thing I have noticed with Wharfdale is that they are very melodious and each & every freq sound is delivered perfectly.

Last edited:
Hi..angynagpal,
Don't worry about the quality of sub woofer, coz its par excellence.I have tested it with so many DTS demo DVDs and other music CDs containing deep bass, even with the CD received from our FM Amp_Nut - MR.Dinyaar(Hats off to him for providing me such a nice CD-its a testing engine..:)..).Its awesome..I am sure you will never get disappointed.Even after purchasing this system, last week I got a chance to audition Denon 1713 with Polk audio TLI 2600 and other KEF speakers also , at Profx showroom and I was very much satisfied with my decision.One thing I have noticed with Wharfdale is that they are very melodious and each & every freq sound is delivered perfectly.

Thanks for your reply Bro :).... So DX-1 it is then :)!

I totally agree with you regarding rhe whaferdale speakers.... Even the ms 70+ that we heard... It just blew us away. It's absolutely the best we have heard in this price range (heck add another 20k to the range and it still sounds the best). What blew me away was that the speakers, though being satellites, sounded like floorstanders... Such clarity, such depth. I am sure the DX-1 would be 10 times better (even if they are equivalent of ms70+ il be more than happy).

Thanks to all of you for your precious inputs. Il write my next post, hopefully, with a review of the system and some pics ;).

It has been a long journey (almost 2 years) but it looks like it was a fruitful one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Need a little help:

I watched a few movies after installation of the DX1. After reading this thread & tinkering a bit I'm finding a great improvement in sound output.

What I'm missing out on are the (don't know the technical term) low level sounds like glass shattering, something dropping etc. don't feel the impact/punch there.
Also what is the maximum db level you keep your amplifier on while playing movies?
Any suggestions!!

I'm currently using the DX1 with Yamaha 457

Need a little help:

I watched a few movies after installation of the DX1. After reading this thread & tinkering a bit I'm finding a great improvement in sound output.

What I'm missing out on are the (don't know the technical term) low level sounds like glass shattering, something dropping etc. don't feel the impact/punch there.
Also what is the maximum db level you keep your amplifier on while playing movies?
Any suggestions!!

I'm currently using the DX1 with Yamaha 457
I have never observed such kind of missing details in sound..may be due to encoding of movie..In AVR I have set 0 db volume for all satellite but for center I have set it to 1 db..and as far as volume is concerned it is always dependent on recording level in movies..but on average I keep it between 55 to 60..

Glass shattering would not have low level sound. It would have quite high pitch tinkle. What's your source and audio track of the movie that you're watching?

Dear Umapati congratulation for your new home theater ..i am also planning for denon 2113 as need 100 watt per channel ....can you help me getting a good deal by sharing from whom you got your system ...thanks in advance....i am located in ncr....

Glass shattering would not have low level sound. It would have quite high pitch tinkle. What's your source and audio track of the movie that you're watching?

Maybe I did not frame the words correctly but that what I meant. Missing the high pitch for eg of shattering glass & a thud when something falling or a wall breaking.
Currently the source is a sony dvd player & trying different original dvds

Maybe I did not frame the words correctly but that what I meant. Missing the high pitch for eg of shattering glass & a thud when something falling or a wall breaking.
Currently the source is a sony dvd player & trying different original dvds

Did you feel this effect when you listened to them at the showroom demo?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back