My First HT - Cost effective Mid Range - Step by Step

For viewing distance of 13-15 feet (Lcos-Lower fill rate), Screen size 135" is ?

• OK

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Not ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
congrats...
non electronic goods like screen...is pretty safe to buy from geb..if avilabe cheaper...
i think it is cheaper than local stores..
go da lite..u wont regret..
if u want save money..can buy a da lite simple B type..and diy it by proffessional help..into a fixed frame one..

Thanks prosenjit.

Yes, You are right, geb price is better than local quotes. (approx 15 to 25k difference). Planing to purchase Da-Lite on GEB.
I do not want to take risk on DIY. (Some times it may end up with higher cost)

Currently i am confusing between

a) Fixed Frame Vs Manual Pull down - Which one is better ? (My house is prone to dust formation)
b) Cinema Vision 1.3 Vs Da-Mat 1.1 Vs Video Spectra 1.5 - Whis is better?

Ref:URL: Da-Lite Screen Material Test

I am looking for Image Clarity with resonable brighness (20-22 ftl in cave).

If the screen gain increases will impact on Image quality ?
What is resolution loss related to Gain?

Looking for your konwledge/experience sharing.

There is dust everywhere in India, that's why i went with a pull down screen. But having used this for some time now, i think i would have liked a fixed screen better. Not that the pull down wobbles or anything - i haven't noticed anything of that sort, but the hassle of pulling it down makes me wish it was a fixed one. Maybe i'm being fussy or lazy but that's what i feel.

Today i have done some google on Da-Lite screen materials.
Found the below...

1. There are some screens which can not be used for Pull Down.
(Due to filmsy material), Which can be used only in FF. Image quality also will vary. This is one of the reason FF are costlier that Pull down.

2. Found High Contrast Cinema Vision is best among Da-Lite available in GEBAY - INDIA. This is not available on Pull down, only on FF (Fixed Frame).

As of now, below are my sortlisted items. Amount from GEbay.

Screen size 133" (16:9 Format)************************Amount Rs.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Da-Lite Cinema Vision 1.3 (Fixed Frame)..................66078
Da-Lite Da-Mat 1.1 (Fixed Frame).........................59232
Da-Lite Matte White 1.1 (Pull Down)......................45440
Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision 1.1 (Fixed Frame)....66746

As a fixed frame screen will give you lateral tension as well, you'll get a screen that's perfectly flat and undistorted. Manual pull down screens don't give you such a result.

I would go for the fixed frame version.

Thanks all for your inputs. Ordered Fixed Frame.

Based on lot of user/expert reviews on screen material....

DaLite
- CineVision/HCCV: Sparkling effect, Screen texture view during pan, Grainy.
- Damat:Screen texture view during pan. Smooth Filmsy Material.

Elite
- MaxWhite : Hot spot
- Cinewhite: 95% says good. 5% says Hotspot on some bright scenes.
- CineGrey: Good, Excellent black and Poor white.

Overall: Nothing is excellent. All having negative points.:sad:

Attached the ordered one. :eek:hyeah:(The same quoted between 75K to 85K in chennai)

Attachments

• Screen Purchase.jpg
    Screen Purchase.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 228
box_zpsb1fef458.jpg

JapanMake_zps784a57c3.jpg

Last edited:
ProjectorShelf_zpsd59d3879.jpg

ScreenWall_zps40c96dae.jpg

I will apply wall primer and project this to wall this week end. And i will upload the 'Wall' picture quality.

Guys,

I have applied 2 coats of Interior wall primer.

DSCF8131_zps53758d36.jpg

Following are the Sun TV HD channel shot. (I have not tested with BD yet)
And of course the camera not able to produce the output what i am seeing.

DSCF8266_zpsc71aab29.jpg

Last edited:
More pictures. (Also the photobucket site changing my 1920x1080 in to its own size)

DSCF8239_zps51949ee2.jpg

Especially on the below shot, i was stunned with the clarity, But the camera..., I think i am not able to operate it (or) i may required high end camera.
DSCF8283_zps8edd03e8.jpg

Last edited:
Final Samples. (I will load some more test with PS3/Blue ray after some time)
Going to start flooring & Painting. And also, my elite screen ordered on gebay still on......the......waaaaaay.

DSCF8244_zpsd0de9972.jpg

DSCF8254_zps5be5fa87.jpg

Observations on "Wall Picture Quality"
------------------------------------
When i started search on projector selection, My objective is to buy a projector (of course within my budget) with the PQ near by (atleast 90%) my Panasonic P50ST30D.

1. Colors - Reached 95% to my Panny (Cinema1 surpassed to Panny) :)
2. Sharpness - Reached 90% to my Panny.:)
3. Brightness - Reached 80% to my Panny. :sad:

Contrast

a) Reached 90% on [50-60% bright and 40-50% dark scenes] :)
b) Reached 60% on [70-80% dark and 20-30% bright scenes]:annoyed:

Reason for option-B is, While dark scenes, Dynamic Irris reduced the light to produce darker darks. Yes, It is produced excellent black level, But unfortunately, The brighter section on the dark scenes also reduced the white level, So it is not able to competete to my Panny (Infinity native contrast).

All these are based on projected to a white wall and subjective. And also i have not done any play around to the Projector settings. (It has lot of settings with Dynamic irris itself)

I will post one more summary after i received my screen and play around with settings.

I think, this projector can make open challenge to Epson TW800 in terms of Picture quality. Any guys ready for the challenge?:thumbsup:

Observations on "Wall Picture Quality"
------------------------------------
When i started search on projector selection, My objective is to buy a projector (of course within my budget) with the PQ near by (atleast 90%) my Panasonic P50ST30D.

1. Colors - Reached 95% to my Panny (Cinema1 surpassed to Panny) :)
2. Sharpness - Reached 90% to my Panny.:)
3. Brightness - Reached 80% to my Panny. :sad:

Contrast

a) Reached 90% on [50-60% bright and 40-50% dark scenes] :)
b) Reached 60% on [70-80% dark and 20-30% bright scenes]:annoyed:

Reason for option-B is, While dark scenes, Dynamic Irris reduced the light to produce darker darks. Yes, It is produced excellent black level, But unfortunately, The brighter section on the dark scenes also reduced the white level, So it is not able to competete to my Panny (Infinity native contrast).

All these are based on projected to a white wall and subjective. And also i have not done any play around to the Projector settings. (It has lot of settings with Dynamic irris itself)

I will post one more summary after i received my screen and play around with settings.

I think, this projector can make open challenge to Epson TW800 in terms of Picture quality. Any guys ready for the challenge?:thumbsup:

Good analysis and thanks for sharing. This will help other aspirers like me. :clapping::thumbsup:

Hi Swamy,
Congratulations for the purchases so far. I envy you. The dream is just beginning to take shape however are you going to increase the budget from 3lac to accomodate other things which matter for HT.
It seems to be not a mid range HT anymore the way things are being added:lol: remove the mid range from your thread title:D eager to know what audio and room acoustic treatment you chose. good luck happy hunting

Seriously, the mid range tag needs to be removed from this thread. This is a high end setup, leave the mid range tag to us mortals :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back