My First HT - Cost effective Mid Range - Step by Step

For viewing distance of 13-15 feet (Lcos-Lower fill rate), Screen size 135" is ?

• OK

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Not ok

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
thanks for sharing...the infos..
how is the performance in total ambient say with a normal 40w tubelight on..??

you will have a nice shot.
pause a scene
flash off
night portrait mode
keep 5 sec or 10 sec timer on.
keep the camera staedy on a book/anything/table etc
put the camera straight of the picture.
now just press.

Hi Swamy,
Congratulations for the purchases so far. I envy you. The dream is just beginning to take shape however are you going to increase the budget from 3lac to accomodate other things which matter for HT.
It seems to be not a mid range HT anymore the way things are being added:lol: remove the mid range from your thread title:D eager to know what audio and room acoustic treatment you chose. good luck happy hunting

Thanks. (Not for the envy:)). So for the budget reached near 2.8 L for projector+screen itself. More over the construction work also sterching beyond my budget. Currently i am in confused state about Aduio & acoustic treatment due to money/kaasu/panam/thuddu/paisa.

Option-1: I will go with entry level Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer HT (Can be done with in 40-60K)

Option-2: Stick with "MID" range and buy Yamaha Receiver & KEF Q300 Bookshelf pair as of now (Approx.60K) and later add KEF Q600C
+ Q100 Pair as rear and Q400b as sub. (Total comes around 1.6L - Convincing my wife will become challenging task)

For acoustic, As of now i am thinking Acoustic Curtains to both side walls.

Any how, Still in the confusion state...!

Note: Sony 50ES, Benq W7000, Epson 5020,JVC X-35 all are MID Range only.
Sony 95ES, JVC - 4K, Runco LS are High end.
Benq W1070, Accer..etc are Entry level.​

Last edited:
Seriously, the mid range tag needs to be removed from this thread. This is a high end setup, leave the mid range tag to us mortals :)

Prem,

Sony 50ES & Elite ezframe are MID range only. :)
I can replace the title with some thing like "My First HT - Sony HW50ES + Elite Cine White".

But, no where i can see the option to change the title.

I like your progress. (I can see your interest on your HT thread, Congrats!)

thanks for sharing...the infos..
how is the performance in total ambient say with a normal 40w tubelight on..??

you will have a nice shot.
pause a scene
flash off
night portrait mode
keep 5 sec or 10 sec timer on.
keep the camera staedy on a book/anything/table etc
put the camera straight of the picture.
now just press.

Thanks. I got your point to aovid blurness.

As of now the room is heavily lined up with electrical wiring,painting,flooring,carpenting...etc.

During this, any gap, i will try take the pictures at my best with your tips.
I will upload various ambient light pictures once the room is completely ready.

Progress on my HT Room.

Entire room putty & primer has been applied. Flooring and wall color in pending.

DSCF8003_zpsf2d9da7b.jpg

Compared to last week (HD TV relay), This time i tested with my Bluray player (PS3) and the movie is 'Alice in Wonder land' (Forced 3D off)

Posting some continuous shots and at the end, i will write this week summary.

DSCF8051_zpse98f5453.jpg

The final one...
8836367b-e90f-4bfe-b495-a0ef4e04ba7b_zpsb42018d2.jpg

Summary: (Sorry for the lengthy one)

1. All images are very less sharpness,and brightness compared to what i have seen actually in the wall. (Still not tested with screen)

2. The room current environment is pure bright white wall (Just putty and primer applied stage)

3. I especially tesed today to decide the color applying pattern to the room.(Due to expected approx. light reflection from screen on general bright scenes)
and also would like to test BD PQ compared to HD TV PQ.

Result:

1. My wife said, we wasted money on Screen (57K), This wall itself looks watching real cinema move in home.

2. I thought contrast will impact due to bright white room. It is slightly affected on the corners. Overall, nothing has affected, It has great contrast. Excellent PQ.

3. Compared to my Panny, Its brightness on face,still less. (Not too much).
My brain automaticall gaining the brightess as brightest.
Brighness, Black level & Image dynamic is very very good even in the bright whilte wall room.

4. Compared to HDTV and BD watching on this projector, BD is excellent.

5. In my Panny, I will seen JPEG artifacts even in BD. (compared to cinema hallls). But here the Sony, 100% beaten the Panny and got the best image without any JPEG artifacts (RC=10). Yes, Now i realized the CNET review, "You need not to buy a old movie theater to watch movies, This sony & JVC will enough to bring cinema experience in home".

Prosenjiit: Sorry, This week also i have used just 'Auto' mode without flash.
Since the room doesn't have proper ventillation set yet, (No fan or AC), Just i need to rush through shots. Once the room is ready, I can try to get better picture from this entry level Fuji FixPix S2000HD.

Last edited:
thanks for the shots....
highly impressive..
now its time for enjoyment..
what will be the colour application....on the side walls and celing..something dark i think..
and please share the information about performance in ambient light..
no hurry..take your time..

Good progress and great shots.

Seriously, when I projected on my wall screen, have decided that will never go for a screen. It is waste of big money for a very small gain as per my opinion.

thanks for the shots....
highly impressive..
now its time for enjoyment..
what will be the colour application....on the side walls and celing..something dark i think..
and please share the information about performance in ambient light..
no hurry..take your time..

Thanks. Actual PJ enjoyment make take another month i guess due to speed of the construction work (Flooring, Painting, Electrical...etc)

Since the room is not the dedicated HT, I am working on a painting solution to meet both PJ Movie watching & Using this room as bedroom.

This PJ has a 'Bright TV/Bright Cinema' mode to watch with Ambient light. This is one of my pending testing item. Sure i will post.

Good progress and great shots.

Seriously, when I projected on my wall screen, have decided that will never go for a screen. It is waste of big money for a very small gain as per my opinion.

I have seen your latest pictures posted. The screen wall is the white paint. Am i correct? (But it looks real screen) Looks you spent lot of effort on this.

I have received my Elite screen also last week. (Just opened the box).
GEB is really good, delivery on time. The package also really good.

Only issue i have faced, the icc site 'Order tracking' status update is pathetic. It never shown the correct status.

IMO, Only the screen can give you the POP & WOW. (My assumption)
Any how, Let me check once the room is done.

Swamy Any Further updates??

Struck with construction related work. (I am constructing one more hall along with this Bedroom cum HT).

Flooring is done - Dark brown wooden textured, matt finish tiles.

Electrical & Lighting work - Done.

Yesterday my daughter played 'Uncharted 3' (PS3 Game) in the projector (Projected on the same white wall) for 20 minutes. I am not able to take pictures (During things shift, the camera stuck some where).

Observations on PS3 games on white wall

1. PS3 games are 720p. (Upscaling to 1080p by PS3)
2. Played using 'Game' mode in the Projector. (Very less lag time)
2. Image details/rendeing - scored 90/100 compared to my Panny TV.
3. Dynamic Irris action is clearly visible while suddent bright scene appears.
(e.g: Drake coming to a Blue sky open terrace from the dark stair case)
Those seens, I feel the value of Native Contrast (or) Weakness of DI.

Still, I have not done the play around settings such as DI-Off, Set Min&Max for DI.

Over all score: Good. (Not excellent as my Panny), But the Image size adding more dimension to the game play.

Let me try to post some pictures this week end.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I have done one more tesing also.

Do i need to buy a lenghthy (6-8 Mt) HDMI cable?

As of now the answer is NO.
I attached the PS3 to Projector just one shelf below using 1 Mt Belkin HDMI cable.

My daughter played using the Joystrick by just facing to the screen wall. PS3 placed behind here on the shelf. No issues on transmission from Joystick to PS3.

Note: My current HDMI cable (1 Mtr), I bought it for Rs.1000. IMO, If you buy a lenghthy cable for approx,2-3K, sure that quality will not be good. And it will impact PQ due to lenth and quality of the cable.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back