My New Home Theater - Need Help

visanj

Hi

I'm looking out for a new home theater (av receiver + speakers) under 40k

Listening room is about 12*9. So I need a low profile home theater which shouldn't sound boomy. Space is another constraint

My requirements is Movie (80%) and Music (20%). I mostly listen in low volume as I don't want to disturb others in my home.

I have some options in mind

Marantz NR1501 + Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1
Denon 1311 + Polk Audio RM6750
Onkyo HTS3300

Could anyone in this forum please help me in choosing the right system?

Thanks
Visanj

I am using the Marantz NR1601 and find it excellent. There are changes over the 1501 but most of it has do with features. It has got a clean good look and enough power to drive most speakers.

Regarding speakers I have not heard the systems you are referring to and do not know whether they match well.

I just spoke to a sales person in Home Theatre Solutions (Boston dealer). It seems Soundware XS costs around 29k. Also Marantz 1501 is phased out. Only 1601 is available and it costs around 33k. So the total cost comes around 60k which is above my budget. So I think I need to rule out this option

Now I have only 2 options (Denon+polk audio) and Onkyo

I would like to know if Denon 1311 + RM6750 combo will fit my requirements (small room, low volume etc)

Denon 1311 + RM6750 is a good package for the budget.

Though 1501 is phased out it will still be available in grey market. I got 1601 for 27k in Mumbai. 1501 was being offered at that time for 5k less. Look around a bit if you like the model.

Also can anyone tell me whether Denon 1311+rm6750 package is better than Onkyo 3300 3400 etc?

If you compare both denon and polk are better than onkyo 3300 (passive sub woofer),wharfedale cinema 70 also are good package,try to audition it,add paradigm ct 70 to your list.

List is getting bigger and bigger. but my main requirement is size. Wharfedale 70+ is bigger than normal sat speakers. so I'm more concerned about that. I heard that Boston Soundware XS is small and fits well. But I'm more concerned about the price. Home Theatre Solutions (Chennai) is quoting 29k. Thats making me to choose some other option

I use a floorstander in 10*12 room,i dont think wharfedale 70+ will be a over kill,you got budget constrains so choose the best possible speakers because the speaker matters more than a amp in ht.

ProFx (Bangalore) is offering the newer Polk Audio budget HT speakers RM705 for 18k and also have a package offer with Denon AVR 1311 for 32k.
The sales person said they are expecting the new Denon AVR 1612 by 1st August and will have a similar package 1612 + Polk Audios RM705 that will cost a few thousands more than the current package (1311 + 705).
A friend of mine is considering the below combination, which I thought is an excellent VFM package:
Onkyo AVR SR508 (24-25k) + Polk Audio RM705 (17-18k)
With an optional topping of 2 budget BS speakers (8-10k) one can actually build a decent 7.1 system with about 50k.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back