My new Philips PFL5609 LCDtv

spirovious

Hi friends,

Finally I cld get my so called dream LCD on last Sunday.I was busy playing with it & now time to introduce my new device to you-

Animal Planet-

Football-

Movie ch-

DD1-

Serial-

PQ is very good after I found best setting.
With SD as you can see,DVD & HD too.

Last edited:
What's the size? Price?

How is the SD quality? Did you find any difference from SD quality in showroom and at home? The pics seem to say that SD quality is quite good.

What's the size? Price?

How is the SD quality? Did you find any difference from SD quality in showroom and at home? The pics seem to say that SD quality is quite good.

Well @ shop ,I checked SD with TATASKY component & @ Home Dish with composite.
TATASKY though better than Dish,still practically no difference considering coneection.
DVD too look great.If I coneect DVD with component progressive mode,picture is Best ,clean & lifelike.

I recommend it for best SD PQ.

Price Rs.34120 on exchange of OLD CRT with 3yr warrenty.(Rs33k for 1yr warrenty) @ croma.

Last edited:
nice picture spiro.but to be honest dish tv has the worst PQ,u could go for a another DTH,like BIG tv,u can even re align ur existing dish and connect it to a big tv stb.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks ...

@adder- Is it really possible to use Dish card in Big setopbox?
I was told,Dish can not be used with Tatasky.
My Dish settop has become slow in loading & I may shift to other.
How to compare TATASKY with BIG?
Which has good PQ & SQ?

Which has good PQ & SQ?

I have three tata sky connection and one SUN DTH, out of the two SUN has better pic quality.

Ive not compared tata sky and big TV but have seen big tv hooked up to some LCD in a show room and it did look good.Big tv has component out which is an added advantage and Mpeg4 encoding.

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks ...

@adder- Is it really possible to use Dish card in Big setopbox?
I was told,Dish can not be used with Tatasky.
My Dish settop has become slow in loading & I may shift to other.
Which has good PQ & SQ?

well from the extensive research that i did prior to me going with DTH ,the dish tv PQ is in last place .
TS and airtel are similar with details ,with airtel having a edge in colors.
haven't compared the sound quality.but PQ wise big tv has a clear edge,punchy colors,nice details,very hard to spot pixelation,unlike the airtel i have.
my friend who has 3 connections a TS,sun dth and local cable wala,he checked out the bigtv at my place and he was very impressed.he then cancelled the cable wala and TS and went with Big tv with the mulitple tv discount.he again prefered big over sun dth.

the proposed laws by TRAI say that dish tvs and others DTH smart card should work with any other DTH and vice versa,but its still in the courts,since dish tv and TS didn't agree,due to the fact that thier MPEG2 STB aren't compatible with others.but as u may now know TS is slowly introducing the new MPEG4 and DVBS2 capable stbs which would be compatible with airtel once the laws are in place.

I may go to Big, earlier I felt,MPEG4 is compresed format & so cant do better than Dish.Now looking @ rev,its Big> Tata> Sun....

I may go to Big, earlier I felt,MPEG4 is compresed format & so cant do better than Dish.Now looking @ rev,its Big> Tata> Sun....

Have not seen Big TV reception, so no comments. Have TS currently and it gives acceptable DVD quality reception. Just ordered a multi-room TS connection, this time going with TS+ that has Component out.

Someone posted that Tatasky launched STB made by Thomson & may it have component out?

The tata sky set top boxes at my home are made by Thomson but they don't have component out.

we do have a tata sky plus but i don't know if its Thomson but it has a component out and the pic quality is sightly better since the connection runs through component.

I checked BIGtv web & there STB shows component, no SPDF & USB(must be for SW upgrade) unlike this-

BIG TV Latest Set Top Box Review | DTH Services

well i have the big tv stb thats shown in that link u posted, it does have s/pdif and USB.big tv has 3 differnet models of STB ,two of which are made by hyundai.the one i have is made by UEC.all the versions have USB port,not sure whats the purpose of it,but when big tv service was in beta stage when u press reset in the menu,it used to give a message saying all the data in DVR will be lost.so my guess is a external DVR may be connected to the STB via USB.
i have't tried the s/pdif since i don't have a av reciever or a amp with digital input.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back