My new Philips PFL5609 LCDtv

Today I just changed few settings for SD & now I can see better Blacks & colours, probably best SD so far-

Brightness - 63 (earlier 67)
Contrast - 48 (earlier 54)
Clour - 36 (earlier 37)
Sharpness - 5 (earlier 4)

Rest as it is-

Backlight - Best power
Light senser - on
MPEG NR - off

Yah,perfect i think so,wht ever u say man,philips is best what i think so,even i have a philips TV and its good,have been using that brand since i was young,:clapping::)

Yah,perfect i think so,wht ever u say man,philips is best what i think so,even i have a philips TV and its good,have been using that brand since i was young,:clapping::)

This is my 3rd Philips product & 1st costlier.
Earlier(20yr back)2 in 1 & a small radio (bahadur).

Be careful it was history and as Philips is not able to make TV's they are in talks with videocon to produce TV's.
So fro some time Philips will be rebadged videocon and will go to the brands like Sansui,Aka etc.

There will be current stock liquidation but who will provide ASS ( after Sales Service) is unclear.

Hope this will not happen like Tata providing service to Fiat....

Have anyone asked about the history lessons here,what i said was we have been using philips and its worthy ok

There are 3 Philips TV's ,2 Radioes and 1 HiFi amp ( yes I 'm ccurrently using philips singapre amp with Digital Inputs0 and 1 Cd player in my family..
So nothing against philips but again past is NO gurentee of future and I am seeing a great brand deteriorating a la Sansui and Akai.

20 Years back Sansui was majour force in Hi Fi. So much so is that still Sansui is decently respcted in used market and there are dedicated websites for it. And everyone know their current status in last 10 Years!

Hemant

Hello Spiro,

Thats a wonderful TV you've got. I am also going to get the 5609 this weekend. :clapping:

I was wondering what do you do to clean the screen and also to cover it? Do you use any branded spray, or just water, and what about the cover for the LCD TV?

Hello Spiro,
, or just water, and what about the cover for the LCD TV?

No water to LCD.Using soft cotton cloth can do the job.
Only dust is the problem.I may search for screen guard if available without sticking directly on screen,but only on border.

Hi Spirovious,

Got myself an Philips 32" 5609 yesterday! Buying decision was influenced based on the reviews read on this thread.

As we were buying in a group, managed to convince my friends for this model and ended up buying 4 sets. We got it at 32.5K without any freebies.

Will try to carry out the settings as mentioned in your post for best SD viewing.

Cheers

Congrates on your purchase & will definately enjoy.
If you get any better settings,pls.reply.

i WaS MORE INLCNED TO go for pana x10 or x9 than philips 5609 as i already have pv8 plasma. This one i was looking for my parents room.
But seeing the reviews , i am inclining towards philips 5609. My pv8 decision was purely based on reviews in hifivision and team bhp and to this date i am happy with it as i just went and bought it without doing any checks.

Looks like i might buy 5609 similar way
Net_CMD , can you please where did you buy for 32.5K ? was it in bangalore?

"netcmd", welcome to the Philips 5609 club, I too have bought it this Saturday, and I am loving it, just like you. :)

Spiro, I've couple of questions buddy. In earlier posts, in this thread, you have said the following. My questions follow your comments in blue, so please share your thoughts:

1) "Infact DVI can be better than HDMI...." - Have you bought a DVI cable yourself, and does our TV have a DVI in port, and does a standard laptop have a DVI out port?
2) "nvidia GPU is doing very good upscaling too outputting 1080p.DVDs too are looking wonderfull with no jaggies.Edges are sharp & motion smooth.its working perfectly." - So do you mean when playing a DVD movie from your PC which has a NVDIA graphics card, the picture quality is awesome? How do you upscale a DVD movie in your PC, I mean you use any software?
3) "To my surprise,7300 was doing much better upscaling than DVDp /BDp" - Do you mean that when you were playing movies after upscaling them in your PC (which has nvdia 7300 graphics card), the pic quality was better than a regular DVD player?
4) One guy asked you that "how did u solve the dvi to hdmi prob?? step by step solution spiro..?" - I've a Dell laptop running Vista. And as you know I now have my new Philips 5609 LCD TV. I only have a basic graphics card (Intel media accelerator) in my laptop. What else do I need to upscale a DVD movie to play it in full HD in my LCD? (for ex. you've mentioned things like GC 7300 (what is it? A graphics card in your PC?) You also have nvdia CP (what is CP?)) ? For example, do I need to install any application on my laptop, to upscale a DVD, playing in my laptop, and send it to my LCD through a DVI cable?
5) How do I play movies form my laptop and view it on my LCD, using a VGA cable? I mean, I want to know the resolution settings, etc. As I had told you in an earlier post of mine, when I tried, the resolution on both laptop & TV changed to 256 colors.

Thanks...:)

Last edited:
1.DVI is for video only & HDMI for both AV.
DVI are of 2 types: 12pins & 24 pin,mine 24pin & can carry max resolution upto 2560 1600 @60 Hz.(called dual link)HDMI has total 19 pin shared for AV both.So technically DVI can be better for video than HDMI.
I havent use DVI,but DVI to HDMI adapter to HDMI cable.Many lapy come with DVI(even HDMI) need to check max supported resolution out.

2.I set nvidia resolution for LCD as 1080p.GC canbe configed as 2 seperate displays called Dualview.I can set individual resutions for both displays.
Say for CRT monitor(as primary display)as 1024X768 & philips as 1080p.Options are present in nvidia CP.So nvidia does unscaling for DVDs.Vlc can too upscale.I thing its nvidia which is doing better job.

3.Yes,I dont have upscaling DVDp,but I have seen DVDs played from DVDp & Bluerayp both on LCDs(while demo before Phil was purchased).I can say nvidia is doing better upscaling.I dont feel I am looking at DVDs,but some HD mov.(may be close to Bluray?)

4.You need to check specifications of Lapy- If it has DVI out(HDMI)OR VGA to PC in Philips.DVI is better than VGA(D-sub)
nvidia has mobile graphic solutions & check if it fits in your Lapy.It can have DVI/HDMI out.

5.In VGA mode,you can select upto ?720p OR less with 6oHz setting only.
Try lowering resolution(<720p)& check.Colour shld be 32bit true.
LCD mode as Pc & aspect ratio as unscaled.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the quick response...:)
1) I am still unsure how this DVI thing works, will have to spend some more time googling. So do you mean that you play a DVD movie in your PC and set the resolution using your nvdia graphics card to 1024p in your PC, then you have a DVI out pin in your PC which connects to a DVI to HDMI converter PIN, and that cable is then connected to your 5609 using an HDMI cable, right?
2) & 3) I dont have an nvdia graphics card on my laptop, so the things you've done I wont be able to do, so I will have to wait until I get the WD TV Live, in the next couple of months, to do DVD upscaling etc. I can do upscaling in WD TV Live right Spiro?
4) I do have VGA out pin in my lappy, but not sure of DVI. WIll check it. Is there a VGA to DVI converter available, like the HDMI to DVI pin you're using?
5) I've noted down the VGA mode settings you've given, will try it tonight.

Thanks for the quick response...:)
1) I am still unsure how this DVI thing works, will have to spend some more time googling. So do you mean that you play a DVD movie in your PC and set the resolution using your nvdia graphics card to 1024p in your PC, then you have a DVI out pin in your PC which connects to a DVI to HDMI converter PIN, and that cable is then connected to your 5609 using an HDMI cable, right?
2) & 3) I dont have an nvdia graphics card on my laptop, so the things you've done I wont be able to do, so I will have to wait until I get the WD TV Live, in the next couple of months, to do DVD upscaling etc. I can do upscaling in WD TV Live right Spiro?
4) I do have VGA out pin in my lappy, but not sure of DVI. WIll check it. Is there a VGA to DVI converter available, like the HDMI to DVI pin you're using?
5) I've noted down the VGA mode settings you've given, will try it tonight.

1.few links-
Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Google Image Result for http://www.ss427.com/dvi-d-dual-link-digital-video-interface-cable.jpg

Monster Cable High Performance VA DVI-HDMI SL MKII - Video adapter - Female 19 pin HDMI Type A to M DVI

So whatever you wrote is the same what I did.:)

2.WD is one chip solution & it does upscaling quite well.

4.VGA to DVI converter will not work as VGA is analoge signal & DVI is Digital.
There is DVI to VGA converter as DVI-i type carries both Digital & analoge signals.So its one way only.

5.OK try & get back.

i WaS MORE INLCNED TO go for pana x10 or x9 than philips 5609 as i already have pv8 plasma. This one i was looking for my parents room.
But seeing the reviews , i am inclining towards philips 5609. My pv8 decision was purely based on reviews in hifivision and team bhp and to this date i am happy with it as i just went and bought it without doing any checks.

Looks like i might buy 5609 similar way
Net_CMD , can you please where did you buy for 32.5K ? was it in bangalore?

Panasonic is known for plsmas and not so much for the LCDs.
For LCDs, stick with samsung/sony. Philips is a good choice but had bad reputation of service in the past. But according to spiro, they are doing a far better job as of today.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back