My next SubGrade!

Surrealistix

Need some heavy duty advice for a sub upgrade from PSW505(up for sale). I have a good stereo setup, but it won't hurt to add a sub, primary need for the Sub is HT in a 260 Sq Ft. dedicate HT room.
I have three alternatives for this purchase:

Buy from Singapore - provided it is much cheaper and wieghs under 30 KG. I will need to finalise on the subwoofer within the next 4 days.

Buy in India - Always preferred.

Buy online from SVS or HSU and have them ship it to India. No idea how much it will cost for shipping + customs.

The Subwoofers I have shortlisted in the order of preference are:

HSU VTF-3 MK3 (US$ 699) - Ship from US
paradigm Seismic 12 (US$ 1600) - Buy in India
Velodyne cht 12r (US$ 600) - Buy in Singapore
Sunfire Truesub EQ (SG$ 1600) / (INR 1,30,000) - Buy in Singapore
paradigm dsp3400 (US$ 850) / (INR 50,000) - Buy in India
Rel q150e SG$ 700 - Buy in Singapore
Deftech Supercube 2 (US$ 700)/(INR 60,000)
Polk DSW 600 -Not sure about this one

Any other Sub I should be considering in this price range? Any help in finalizing on a Sub within the next 4 days will be much appreciated.

What are some of the good subwoofers I can audition in Mumbai?

I vote on the VTF3 MK3

Maybe the new ULS-15 if your considering a budget of $1000.

Im sorry i have stopped believing in b&m store subwoofers since i do not see value for money.

Either they are very musical and punchy,not the greatest for HT or vice versa. The ones which probably do both good are crazy expensive like JL with a few exceptions.

satish

Im not sure about a bulk order.

I got shipped to my uncle in the united states and then got it from there to India.

I believe customs and duty is about 30% plus shipping and handling would be a bitch for you since sub's are pretty heavy.

I should be able to shed some lights (or even get a better rate) on SVS & JL audio imports, but need to know your budget. I'm finalising a deal on subwoofer drivers for my flat in india.

Also you need to be aware that (not sure about HSU) both the subs mentioned will have separate pricing for their 230v versions

is it practical to ship to India? May be a bulk order for SVS or HSU subs - anyone?

Hi Sunil,

My budget is around 60K, but I can stretch it to 70 to 80K if I get something way better than a 60K sub.

HSU wrote back saying that they will ship the VTF3 MK3 to India, waiting for a price quote from them.

Also, SBS 12 Plus looks interesting cause it weighs only 20KG

I am also getting the Velodyne SPL 1200R in Singapore for about Rs. 75K, and a CHT-12R in Mumbai for Rs. 44K

I should be able to shed some lights (or even get a better rate) on SVS & JL audio imports, but need to know your budget. I'm finalising a deal on subwoofer drivers for my flat in india.

Also you need to be aware that (not sure about HSU) both the subs mentioned will have separate pricing for their 230v versions

Well the VTF3 MK3 is dual voltage capable by default, so thats covered.:)

Hi Sunil,

My budget is around 60K, but I can stretch it to 70 to 80K if I get something way better than a 60K sub.

HSU wrote back saying that they will ship the VTF3 MK3 to India, waiting for a price quote from them.

Also, SBS 12 Plus looks interesting cause it weighs only 20KG

I am also getting the Velodyne SPL 1200R in Singapore for about Rs. 75K, and a CHT-12R in Mumbai for Rs. 44K

I am in search for CHT12R Where it is available in mumbai can you give me contact numbers.

Last edited:
Surrealistix: Worth reading below audiodelic's comment, not many good sub manufactures offer that choice. SVS (top end)/ JL Audio carry premium price for their 230V version, and way beyond your budget.

Mid ranged SVS [PC+ versions / PB12 versions], will fit into your budget including delivery, but customs cleareance would be on top!

Well the VTF3 MK3 is dual voltage capable by default, so thats covered.:)

Sorry Karthik, I'm not that useful when it comes to velodyne [to dig a better price] and my contacts are limited to SVS / JL Audio

Hi sunil, I am in search for CHT12R Where it is available in mumbai can you give me contact numbers.

Karthink: You can buy it from Boomerang at Juhu something under Rs. 50K

Sunil: VTF3 MK3 sounds like a good sub to buy, but it's 90 pounds, I wonder how much shipping will cost.

Any thoughts on the SVS SBS 12 Plus? It's under 20KG so should be cheaper to ship

Has anyone heard the Velodyne SPL 1200R?

Not very sure, but you could request for a pallet shipment via sea to reduce the costs.

Sunil: VTF3 MK3 sounds like a good sub to buy, but it's 90 pounds, I wonder how much shipping will cost.

SVS SB12+ is an excellent sub for that small size, but it won't go down below 23hz. But sub is very good for music too.

I owned this a while ago, you can see actual pictures here (towards post 34, my old flat)

Any thoughts on the SVS SBS 12 Plus? It's under 20KG so should be cheaper to ship

I got a Price quote from HSU for the VTF3 MK3

Shipping: FedEx International Economy

VTF3-MK3 $756
Total Landed Cost ( $699 + SH) = $1455

that's almost a 90% additional cost for bringing it to India!

The HSU will cost me 17K more than the Velodyne CHT-12R (with warranty).

Alternately, I could spend 10K more than the HSU and buy the Velodyne SPL-1000R

Very confused - any thoughts?

Can you check with SVS guys for their SVS PB12 model? You may able to get this around for the same price or lesser (at least you won't think of upgrading for another 5 years :) )

The HSU will cost me 17K more than the Velodyne CHT-12R (with warranty).

Hi,

I had asked for the shipping cost of SVS SB12 (not PB12 which is much heavier) shipping costs in March. They had indicated $385 for door-to-door shipping to Bangalore and $130 for door-to-airport shipping. This is what they have to say additionally

These quotes are for prepaid shipping and a small international handling fee only. Any taxes, duties, brokerage, administrative, etc. fees are your responsibility. The door to door rate includes the brokerage fees and the door to airport does not. The brokerage fees included in door to door rates may not include all local administrative fees.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar

Prasad thanks for the information on SVS quote.
SVS SB12 Plus costs US$ 700 + 130 for shipping to airport + duty (I am guessing 30%) this should bring the total cost to just a little over US$ 1000.

About the same cost as the Velodyne CHT-12R. I am guessing this sub will be superior to the CHT-12R?

I wonder if there is anyone else on this forum interested on ordering this sub - may be we could a mass order and get better shipping rates?

Surrealistix: SVS had indicated in the same mail that door-to-airport involves a lots of hassles and charges other than just the customs. They had given an example where someone had to procure an import license to get it cleared from customs (I don't know which country).

In short, they were suggesting that I opt for the door-to-door option.

Also, remember the pains that you may have to go through just in case, the sub turns out to be defective or is damaged in transit. How much worth is that risk (in rupees terms)? That will help you decide.

Meanwhile, I am also on the lookout for a sub, but not immediately. I am also considering the Velodyne or the SVS. But I am more comparing the SVS SB12 with the Velodyne SPL series. Also checking options from Sunfire and REL (known to be a musical sub - Sorry Sridhar ;))

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Prasad,

What is your room size? I am also looking at the SPL-1000r from Velodyne, but it's going to cost upwards of 70K

Ronnie

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back