Nakamichi DR 10 - Is it worth?

jay

I have been offered a Nakamichi DR10 Brand new at 20k.

Any idea how is the Deck? Its a 3 Head one but the seller says its a double deck whereas I read in the NET its a single deck.

Any info will be appreciated.

if its NOS, and unused, the rubber parts might not be in the best shape.
Yes, its not a double deck. Are there ANY double deck nak's ?

Brand new?how come it is possible as nakamichi tape deck production must have stopped 10 yrs bAck?
Also something is doubtful as seller is so much unaware of product. Have u seen photoes? Or is the seller is redy to test?

If its brand new (virtually impossible IMO), then I think its a great find. The DR10 was the last of the great cassette decks from the Nakamichi stable (mine is the DR3) and is definitely a single cassette, 3 head deck. It was more or less, an upgraded version of the DR1. If I recollect correctly, the DR10 was sold between 1998 and 2002. For it to be brand new, it would have had to be in its box for atleast 10-12 years. Given the quality of the rubber belts and rollers used by NAK, I am quite sure that everything should be in good condition (again depending on where the deck was stored). Give it a proper run before investing in it. 20k is a bit too steep by today's standards but this deck kind of costed nearly $1000 new, back in the day. Also, please remember that replacement heads for NAK 3-head decks are hard to come by. The 2-head decks from NAK are a better bet as their replacement sendust heads tend to be available.

On another note, the recordings made by the DR series are considered by many to be the most compatible recordings made on NAKs. Traditionally, audiophiles noted that recordings made on NAKs sounded the best, when played back only on NAKs. This myth was dispelled by Nakamichi with the DR series. However by then, CDs had taken over, signalling the end of supremacy for cassettes as the popular media of choice for music listening.

Last edited:
If its brand new (virtually impossible IMO), then I think its a great find. The DR10 was the last of the great cassette decks from the Nakamichi stable (mine is the DR3) and is definitely a single cassette, 3 head deck. It was more or less, an upgraded version of the DR1. If I recollect correctly, the DR10 was sold between 1998 and 2002. For it to be brand new, it would have had to be in its box for atleast 10-12 years. Given the quality of the rubber belts and rollers used by NAK, I am quite sure that everything should be in good condition (again depending on where the deck was stored). Give it a proper run before investing in it. 20k is a bit too steep by today's standards but this deck kind of costed nearly $1000 new, back in the day. Also, please remember that replacement heads for NAK 3-head decks are hard to come by. The 2-head decks from NAK are a better bet as their replacement sendust heads tend to be available.

On another note, the recordings made by the DR series are considered by many to be the most compatible recordings made on NAKs. Traditionally, audiophiles noted that recordings made on NAKs sounded the best, when played back only on NAKs. This myth was dispelled by Nakamichi with the DR series. However by then, CDs had taken over, signalling the end of supremacy for cassettes as the popular media of choice for music listening.

Thanks for all the details.

The seller says ITS BOX PACKED AND NOT EVEN OPENED.Its in Mumbai.

Pls provide link. Smelin something wrong

No link is there.

I spoke to the seller directly and he said that he has brought it from USA few months back for someone who didn't take and its lying unopened since.

When he bought how come he do not know it is not double deck?? ask him to send photo of box packing ..

Thanks for all the details.

The seller says ITS BOX PACKED AND NOT EVEN OPENED.Its in Mumbai.

Its not rare to find a DR series NAK deck, sealed in original packaging. By the time the DRs came out (obviously heavily priced, at the time), CDs were in vogue and people had moved on to the digital world. There were quite a few DRs that lay in stock, unsold and time and again, these have re-appeared every now and then, with sellers of pre-used electronics or even with some authorized dealers. About 2 years ago, I was aware that a dealer in Chennai had a couple of boxed DR3s up for sale (I think they were imports from Hong Kong). Both sold like hot cakes, the moment he put them up.

No link is there.

I spoke to the seller directly and he said that he has brought it from USA few months back for someone who didn't take and its lying unopened since.

Bought from the USA? Then its likely to be a 110volts model. I believe NAKs never came with the 110v/222v dual power option.

The seller may not be a person who knows his electronics. This deck is definitely a single cassette deck. Nakamichi never did double ones.

Bought from the USA? Then its likely to be a 110volts model. I believe NAKs never came with the 110v/222v dual power option.

The seller may not be a person who knows his electronics. This deck is definitely a single cassette deck. Nakamichi never did double ones.

Yes he is not aware of much.He clarified that its not a double deck.

I told him when am in Mumbai next I will check the deck and take a call.

if its brand new, untouched and in good working condition and you can negotiate a good price, you'll definitely be the proud owner of one of the best Naks on this forum.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back