Nakamichi repairing/ servicing professional in India

Hi

Since you are based in Mumbai there are many repairers who have the skillsets and can be trusted for repairs....the only challenge if any would be availability of replacement parts or spares...

Visit the Nakamichi website and see who is authorised in Mumbai....

You can also reach out to Naval Electronics (South Mumbai) who repairs almost everything in electronics.....speak to Jatinbhai (098678 71427)

Thanks for the information edernand1 and mshifi . Really helpful. And thank you for asking @TD150 . I too own a nakamichi 480 and was hoping to find a trust worthy service center to calibrate it .
I give most of my amplifiers to a technician I know in bandra for repairs . But Iam not sure if he has the experience in nakamichi.

Did you find any worthy service centre for your nakamichi deck @TD150 ?

Appreciate your help

@allanmatters112,
I did not find anyone for its repair. But I managed to do it myself. I downloaded the service manual from hifiengine website and got through the logic circuitry bought some transistors from lamington road (they are still available for Rs.5/- to Rs.25/- per transistor). Replaced the suspected ones and my Nak480 started working.

That is really nice . I too enjoying doing such replacement on my own especially when the outcome is achieved. I do know to desolder and solder but it's no use when I don't know how to use a meter to test .

I recently fixed my buzzing transformer of an amp which much technician said needs coil rewinding. I found the real issue myself. It did not need a recoil .

What was your issue with the deck ? Mines different .slow play back . It's been sitting idle for many years .

Nice to know your nakamichi is up and running .

Few transistors were faulty Q428, Q413, Q407 & Q408. Once they were replaced the Dec started working. These transistors belong to logic circuit and hence the problem with my deck was it did not respond to functions play, ffw, rew, etc.

In your case this is 100% idler tire has become hard which is slipping & now giving the full force to the reel hubs. Do check the other rubber belts also they tend to become hard with time. Do not change the capstan belt if it is ok and soft. It is a critical belt and has to be precise in specs.

Do let me know if you are doing on your own. I will help you understand the circuit.

Thank you very much . I appreciate the help . I probably have to start a new thread.

. Yes I suspected the idler tire . The belts are super loose even though they are turning the dual capstan fly wheels . I opened the deck and just felt the tension of the flat belts . SUPER loose like when you push it with your finger .
I will update . Truth is I purchased it from someone the way it was non working condition. I paid 8000rs I know I got looted .
I only hope everything else is fine in the deck . I haven't even heard it

Regards
Allan

Allan, you need to first see if the functions are working or not. Try the play, ffw, rew functions without the cassette in the deck and see if they work or not. With your finger grip on the capstan try to find out whether it moves or not. Try holding the take up reel hum and see if the auto shut-off works or not.

Loose capstan belt is ok if it drives the capstans and does its job. If it's too loose (which is a rare occurrence as it is not stretched during the operation) then the capstans would not move or move slowly but would stop rotating when cassette load is there. Yours don't stopped (I am guessing) in this case the belt may be ok.

If functions work properly, your deck is probably ok except the rubber belts or idler rubber tire.

Thank you . Idler tire is one I will look at too . Sorry for not being too clear . Let me explain properly .
With cassette load in I click play . The play bulb lights up and head lifts up , the capstan s turn and then the play light goes off even while the button is still pressed and the head goes down but the capstan s are just turning continuously. Until I press stop . The reels barely turn and the fwd rwd also the reels don't move (with cassette or without) . The motors seem fine, as I opened the deck to check them Sometimes the cassette tape comes out of the cassette due to only the capstan and pinch roller running

Same thing happens without a cassette loaded .

My idler looks goldenish . Have a feeling it's been overused with zero preference to servicing. I took a video . It's seems it just can't turn for long . It turns only for 2 seconds then stops for the rewind and forward . And for play as I explained above . The cassette barely turns with fwd rwd and play .
I took a video

From the video you can see that when ffw, rew or play the tape counter does not move. This means that the deck mechanism immediately goes into auto shut-off mode. This happens because there is a long rubber belt which connects the take up reel hub and the auto shut-off mechanism. If the take up reel rotates, then it should rotate the auto shut-off mechanism wheel, which in turn gives a signal to the circuit and the deck stays working. Now if the said rubber belt has become hard/ stiff or has disintegrated then with the turn of take up reel the auto shut-off wheel will not move and be stationery and will give signal to stop the deck. In your case this is probably happening.

Secondly the itler rubber tire needs a shure replacement.

Thank you @TD150 . That information was very useful . I would have never guessed . I am awaiting the original user manual from the seller as he promised . I will read through . Yes definitely idler tire needs to be changed as it looks goldenish . The tire has worn out completely also resulting in grinding noise when trying to turn the reel . I have to hunt for a idler tire now . Need to download the manual and check the part number . Make a trip to lamington road . I do hope they would have this part as nakamichi parts seem scarce .

I just opened the deck to locate that long belt which connects to the take up reek hub . I couldn't see it . Is it a broad flat belt like the ones for the capstans? Or a thin line belt . I saw a thin line belt in absolute vertical position connected to a small motor . I pushed it with my finger . The tension seems right . Not too tight or loose .

If you want to rebuild the rubber idler tire or any rubber belt I know a person in lamington road who can make it as per your specification. However his quality is not at par with the internationally available Mars belts. The idler and other belts can be replaced with a lower grade or quality rubber but the capstan belt should not.

You will not find these rubber belts any more readily available in shops. If you need his contact number please PM me.

I appreciate your help @TD150 . I heard of the Mars place through another forum . Good to know . Yes that's outside India and in no way we can order from there I guess

The take up reel to auto shut-off connection belt is a thin square belt approx 9cm long in diameter. It is located behind the take up reel. You will have to remove the face plate (which is a thin black plate with 2 screws) fixed from where the two hub reels project out. If you remove this black plate you will see the rubber belt from the take up reel hub connected to a auto shut-off fly wheel which is located below / down side the tape counter facing front side. There is another small belt (thin square type approx 4.5 CMS diameter) which you will see connected from the rear side of the auto shut-off mechanism to the top tape counter. So there are two belts 1). Longer one & 2). Shorter one. Check the long belt, it is this belt which drives the auto shut-off mechanism.

Ok I will do that first thing tomorrow morning . I have a bunch of small to big square type belts and also flat broad belts big to small I purchased from lamington road once .it came in handy when i had to replace a belt on my other Toshiba deck . Will check out the 9cm belt . I guess that is hidden and can't really see it .

Thank you again .

I opened the deck took it apart from the front . Took out the black face plate and right enough I found out the 9cm belt was super lose as I felt the tension.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back