Nakamichi repairing/ servicing professional in India

That's what I has asked you to try, by moving the flywheel manually to other direction while the unit is switched off and then switching on the unit if the flywheel moves back to the same original position then the possibility of flywheel assy error while assembling is high. You need to check this and solve it first.

That also means that your cam motor is getting some voltage, your reading mentions no readings. You will have to check properly.

Update . Changed q405 and q406. Still no difference . I dismantled the mechanism on the main chassis and checked everything .

Actually yes there is voltage on the cam motor. There was no error on the fixed mechanism control arm etc as it was all working correctly when I put in the new motor . As I said everything was working correctly until I touched the negative wire to the wrong part of the chassis . So I that's is fine . . I don't have a 50v33uf capacitor at the moment , but I am sure changing that will not make a difference. I removed the blown capacitor . Will buy that soon when I get time or take it from other electronic decks I have here .

Update . I changed q413 as some other technician had put a close match (c1061) . That used to get very hot until it was burning when forward function used to be pressed . I put the correct value 2sd471 . Now it does not get hot on the forward function. .

There's some new update . Now when I turn the flywheel to play mode(on the play marker in the flywheel ) . And switch on the system at the same time hold it tight with my fingers , the flywheel does not return . . Even when play is pressed . So I put a cassette inside , hit play and the cassette started playing . I left my finger and the flywheel did not return back. The cassette was playing . However no sound as the cassette was playing successfully at the correct play speed i guess . I hit stop but the flywheel did not return . cassette stopped playing as reel motor stopped . I had to manually turn the flywheel wheel back to the stop marker so I could take out the cassette . .

New stuff . Reel motor does not spin when Fwd rwd function is pressed ,
.. Cam is still not responding to functions unless I turn manually and keep . Example when I manually turn the flywheel to stop function and keep

These changes have occurred after I changed q413 to the original value. Capacitor 50v33uf has been taken out as I'd had leaked (can't find a spare one at the moment). There is no capacitor there while I did these tests

Last edited:
Sorry actually the reel motor still keeps turning even after hitting stop . I just pushed the idler tire down to make sure . But it does not spin as fast as it used to before when you turn on the system . Now when u switch in the system the reel motor is not spinning although it's getting voltage and can spin if u push the idler tire down with your finger (idle mode rwd mode fwd mode )

The capacitor should be there without which the motor will not turn in other direction (it will turn only in one direction). I had the same issue with C407 capacitor which was disconnected on one leg and so my unit cam motor was turning only in one direction.

The cam motor should rotate in both the directions as when pressed play it will move on one side and when pressed stop it will move other side to take the flywheel to the stop marker position.

Once you install the capacitor I think this problem may be solved.

Ok I checked the service manual c407 capacitor ,which is the same one I had taken out as it's had leaked heavily. It's reads as 25v 33uf. However I took out the leaked capacitor reading as 50v 33uf
What's recommend to buy ? . I think exact value is better .Can you please confirm at your end ?

I changed the capacitor put a fresh 50v33uf . Still no luck . No changes in the cam motor behavior . I changed some c945 transistors around that area too maybe 2 , still nothing has changed( so far have changed more that 5 transistors) guess all those Transistors were good anyway.

Cam motor will not respond to play fwd rwd ..at the side if the capacitor i replaced there is a Socket with a 3 pin attached to it 3.2.1 Cn-3 read s on the pcb . Its goes to the motor. Once I remove it the motor stops spinning out of control.

I was reading the service manual trying to understand it but I am unable to follow or understand the logic

The 3 pin attached connector wires go to the small PCB on mechanism. It is attached to the potentiometer, which adjusts to equal voltage given to the cam motor on the wire2 and so the cam motor stops moving and according the flywheel is moved by the cam motor in any position play, ffw, rew, stop, etc

Do you think motion sensor can be looked at ?
Also one more question . Is there any other fuses hidden beneath where it's not visible ?. I am able to see all the main fuses on the main PCB board all together . But what about else where ?

Last edited:
There are no hidden fuses other than the mentioned by you.

Try out this, remove the cam motor belt and feel the cam motor moving when pressed various functions.

The belt removed, press play and feel the cam motor (it should rotate one side) and with you fingers manually move the flywheel to position mark "PY" (that is play) at this instance the cam motor should stop rotating. If this happens the voltage equalised by the potentiometer works correct else there is some problem with the fixing and setting of flywheel.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back