Need advice on all in one media box

karandex

HI
I currently have 40 inch lcd , xbox 360, tatasky plus hd and getting yamaha 196. i like 196 because of the price ( getting about 22k in reliance in mumbai , is quote fine?) and i like it over onkeyo as its too much bassy. i am telling it because as 196 cant give best audio over hdmi so optical or coax is important.

What media box should i get? i got most my movies on hdd and on computer so something that can pull content over wifi will be better. Like to hear music so i need to give good audio quality( i dont know how much box effects quality)

Thinking of apple tv jailbroken. i have currently android phone but soon be getting ipad so airplay is good thing to have. other options are.. basically i dont know many. i seen wd live and that amkette thing. also the killer feature for me will be something that can stream from my phone as i use torrents on phone to download latest tv episode and like to watch it then and there

Thanks in advance.

keep the media player for media purpose... all the jazzy stuff will get you bored soon.
if you dont need networking pick up asus o play mini...

else look for wd-tv even hi-media xxx model has good good reviews

Thanks for reply

I like the idea of jailbreak apple tv or even evotv is ut can stream directly from internet. Jailbreak apple tv got app called 1channel which can stream movies and tv shows from internet

Last edited:
get WD Live, and un block us and stream TV shows via Netflix HULU and other services.....

unblock with vpn? it cost money right? will these player play untouched BD files properly with all audio? will i get hd audio by attaching optical from wd live?

forget the frills really,ironhorse is right.
you will hardly use them
try to get one with best video chip acording to your budget.
himedia is good
imo get a 10k range blu ray panasonic player..will be future proof.

for cheap solution asus o play mini is king..plays all,bitstreams..

i may be getting BD player for 3k with yamaha system should i take it or buy ps3 in future (which is my current plan, i am a game person)
Asus mini is not networked device.

for a gamer a ps3 is needed anyway..so dont take the free gift and negotiate to down the price
yes i know asus is not networked..i meant we dont need network..a simple 1/2 TB storage,good video chip simple player who can bitstream via hdmi makes sense..
anyway thats your call

unblock with vpn? it cost money right? will these player play untouched BD files properly with all audio? will i get hd audio by attaching optical from wd live?

optical does not support HD audio, anyhow very few media players do HD audio, most of them will down convert to DTS/DolbyDD. But yes WD TV live plays BD ISO, but even on gbps network it stutters occasionally, but if you play via usb connected USB drive it plays fine ...

final question asus vs wd live

WD would down convert DTS HD to DTS. It has problem playing m2ts but convert it to MKV it plays well and also does Dolby HD. It has problem encoding AAC and sometime even MP4.

These things are neat. and looks like there are custom roms for it. i have to look into more of these.

Any top sellers of these kind of android media box? himedia got good connectivity but kaiboer got great interface.

Do these all support android app? what about torrent? i like himedia as i can add sata hdd to it and use it as my download box.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back