Need advice on Sub-woofers

Mayukh

Hi All,

Thanks to this excellent forum, I was able to ramp up on AV tech in a few days, and with that also made my first purchase towards a HT setup.

My current setup is

Yamaha 367/3063 AV Receiver
Yamaha NS 8390 FS (though I had heard about the Wharfedale Diamond/Polk Tsi, decided to stick with the Yam, as the combo was a good deal from Hyper City Bangalore, plus was too impatient to audition and select across the city ! )

Now I want to upgrade to a sub , some of the choices are

Yamaha YST 215/315 - these are heavily priced in India, after checking the low prices in Amazon
Polk PSW 100
Polk PSW 505
Sonodyne ROARR series

Though I am not sure about the prices in India, I would like to restrict my budget to 15 K for the sub, give or take

Plus wouldn't know if front firing is preferable to downward firing.

Can you please suggest anything else or within this list which goes well with Yamaha AVR ?

Thanks in advance !

I dont think there is any real advantage to one over the other. Choose a sub depending on its driver size, power and enclosure in relation to your room size.

Go for Polk Audio PSW 110 price Rs 13,000/- comes with a 10" front firing driver & its down ported.

Or Wharfedale SW150 around Rs 16,000/- its a front firing 10" driver based too.
What HiFi states SW150 as a Excellent sub woofer "5star" rated.

I feel front firing will make its presence felt in lower volumes. Also i prefer a front firing one as i have experienced a down firing front ported Sub Woofer (Onkyo SL 107) my down firing front ported is not that good. i mean Bass is not everywhere its very much directional or area specific.

(kindly do let me know when you finalise a Sub woofer) :thumbsup:

as long as you are crossing over below 100Hz, down firing or front firing is inconsequential as Bass is non directional.
a good sub needs to have a good amp and a good driver..thats it ;)

dont go by relative prices vis-a-vis the US..but by what you get for the price in INdia.
Polk is a good option..

polk are good, not that wharf is bad(i am trying to confuse u),wharf is good but polk is better than wharf ,but nothing to separate .
try to audition both let ur ears decide the remaining........

Thanks All,

I kept it simple, found a store in whitefield- uniquesys,the person there, Saif, can order a wide variety of brands - so I stuck with the Polk PSW 110, which is around Rs 11,500 now.

Regards,

Mayukh

@Johny - Velodyne, Def Tech, all awesome subs but not in my budget now :)

I'll keep them in mind hwen recommending to friends

How are klipsch subs? synergy 12,has anyone tried,there isnt much info on mid-range subs at HFV,somewhere around 20-30k range,HSUs is beyond me,are polk better than klipsch?

Its an awesome sub,i am using it now,i am much satisfied ,cons it doesn't has a remote.if ur configuration is to its best ,it will break ur windows and doors glasses without any clue.....
It will be thighted that u cant ignore it,in simple words its an awesome sub u will never regret.

AFAIK Klipsch makes powerful speakers

From CNET the Synergy Sub-12 has a good review, this is not their upper mid range speakers, you should audition them once. I do not have much knowledge as to comparison with Polk

In terms of pricing around 23K, their brand also commands a premium though !

Hi, I had used Yamaha YST 320 down firing with Onkyo 898 when I my very early years of HT system. The Low frequency effect is Non directional and always they lay low in the room. Hence Down firing or front firing makes no big difference . In my Opinion Wharf is a bit boomy and velodyne is bit tight compared to the previous one. I had experienced both. In fact I have a Definitive Technology sub for sale which is lot better than all the above. I can sell it for a considerate price ( non Profit making Intentional sale). Please PM me if you are interested.

me too,looking for two sub in budget.i need them for stereo set up to support warf 9.1.did you audition warf SW150? what was the best price?

Hi Naren ,

I did not audition the wharf 150, I had made up my mind looking at the price point ,

POLK - 11-13 K
WHARF - 15 K +/-

From all the reviews/forum disc I did not find anything discouraging about the POLK SW 110, so went ahead and bought it.

Actually now that its there,( I got it delivered yesterday), looks good,almost like a small center table !

The LFE effects are great, and during the sound calibration , the low reverb was amazing, for a moment made me think if some low intensity hammering/wall work was going on !

hope this suits well with the neighbors, but yes, I am sure this will not break glass/windows,

in my opinion, which is now biased , this suits my entry level system well enough

Congrats on ur purchase mate,nice sub enjoy ur new toy,expecting a detailed review of the sub with pictures.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back