Need help in deciding - used marantz 4000 vs used nad 521i vs new marantz 5001

anm

Hi
I am getting the following deals
used NAD 521i - 6k
used marantz 4000 - 5.5k
brand new marantz 5001 - 10.5k

Which one should I take? The technics ones is another option at 3.5k but very old and not sure if spares would be available.
If you go the brand new ones, is there anything that can be better than marantz 5001 but in the same price range?

I will have to buy blind. I understand that used CD players could be manhandled, or may require a lens replacement very soon. But that would be 600-700 rs expense I assume?

regards

Hi anm,

The brand new marantz 5001 - 10.5k is very good option by means of quality sound output and the price range. In this price range you can't get a decent player than this i think.

cheers

Mar 5001 is better than 4000 whether it is new or old.Nad if sounds better & still running without hitch,you can consider.

Let me sound a contradictory note. I heard the 5001. It was a competent CD player, but apart from a slight difference in sonic character, I couldn't say it sounded decidedly superior to the Cambridge Audio DVD89, which also costs about 10,000 or less, but also plays SACD, DVD-A and DVDs (and upscales to 1080i). I didn't listen to them side by side, and therefore this is not a very precise comparison, but again, I would suggest you listen to the CA DVD89 and compare it to the 5001 before making a buying decision. Also the CD63SE i have is decidedly superior to the 5001, so maybe you should keep hunting for a good used deal.

though it would be nice to have dvd playing capabilities, I am separating out music setup from movie setup. So I want to put my money only in SQ. For DVD watching, my philips 5996 suffice (for now, maybe for some more months)

Whom did you buy the cd63se and for what price? Is there more stuff available?

haan, what i meant was that you could get comparable CD playing qualities, and the SACD, DVD-A abilities would be a nice bonus, even if you leave out the video capabilities. Of course the DVD89 would very easily be a superior DVD player to the Philips, except for its lack of USB.

I got the CD63SE for 9k, i'll PM you the other details.

though it would be nice to have dvd playing capabilities, I am separating out music setup from movie setup. So I want to put my money only in SQ. For DVD watching, my philips 5996 suffice (for now, maybe for some more months)

Whom did you buy the cd63se and for what price? Is there more stuff available?

I was about to buy the dvd99 for the "more bang for the buck" temptation. I auditioned it, then heard the CA640v2 immediately after. Thats when I realized my folly and dropped the idea of a cheap CD player. Until that day, I could not fathom why a dedicated CDP should cost more than 4 to 5K and was filled with resentment at the idea of spending 15K or more for it.

Not sure if CD5001 is equal to DV89 or 99 or better. I certainly liked its cousin the 5003.

So beware!

Cheers

haha - could be spying. I think there are just 2-3 dealers on this forum who sell old stuff. There isn't nothing to hide :lol:

Hi Anm,

I know it does not matter any more because all the CDPs are gone now, however, just for the record (sorry to catch on this thread too late), the Nad 521 CDP is way better than the two Marantz players mentioned (4000 and 5001), no comparison. It was also in a different price bracket, when new (comparable to Marantz 6002). I have heard the 5001 and the Nad 521 for reasonably long time with the same amp, speakers and cables. Just one batch of these 521's had some transport problem, according to reports on the net, but Raghu from Chennai once confirmed that was soon fixed.

Regards.

thanks Asit. Will keep in mind when something else pops up. So what shall I do now? Settle for 5001 and wait for something great to pop up?
Has anyone compared SB3 to these popular CD players?

regards

Anm,
With due respect to the 5001 CDP, I would say your current amp (HK6550) deserves much much better. You still have not officially announced your acquisition of this amp to the forum members. I just hope this was used by previous user(s) kindly and gives you some years of service. This is a classic amp (better than my HK6300), was built between 1992 and 1993 and all reports are ecstatic. Pair it with a reasonable source and speakers, put on some decent recordings and you would know what I am talking about.

Regards.

Yes, I wanted to announce, in fact I mentioned in some thread too. However, I am still waiting to take it to doctor :)
Couldn't do much serious listening due to timeconstraints. Waiting for a good source as current philips dvdp with its analog out may not be the best.
Regarding recordings, I have tried Kandisa and it sounded good. Was trying Sur today but couldn't listen for more than 4-5 mins as other issues at home popped up. Please suggest more good recordings.

Actually, I was decided on the NAD CDP, but morning started with usual chaos of getting ready for office etc and day at office was slightly busy. When I thought its time to talk to Ramesh, I already had his message that stuff is sold.
Since I never heard it, and would have to buy it unheard, I was looking for opinions and that ate up my yesterday.

I find the hk6550 much better when I raise the volume just a little. But my mom and wife would start objecting even before any neighbor would get a faintest sound. Damn! I think I will have to go deaf with headphones as my only option.

Edit: I am also thinking of using lyrita pre amp along with this HK amp. Want to A/B with tube pre amp. But seems the external processor-in doesn't shut out the pre controls of this amp.

Last edited:
hey Rikhav,
Thanks! ebay US is difficult for me. It asks $89 for shipping to India. Not sure about custom duty on used items. No friend likes to carry heavy items.

regards

hey Rikhav,
Thanks! ebay US is difficult for me. It asks $89 for shipping to India. Not sure about custom duty on used items. No friend likes to carry heavy items.

regards

Yeah, shipping is a big issue. Plus as you said custom hassles
The list of vintage amps available on e-bay makes it very tempting but the shipping prices are too much for us

Hi Asit,
I am slightly confused. Are you saying 521i is significantly better than 5001, and I should go for it, or are you saying my amp deserves even better than nad 521i?
Any idea how to find about disk reading issues in an old NAD player, if buying remotely?

regards

Anm,
With due respect to the 5001 CDP, I would say your current amp (HK6550) deserves much much better. You still have not officially announced your acquisition of this amp to the forum members. I just hope this was used by previous user(s) kindly and gives you some years of service. This is a classic amp (better than my HK6300), was built between 1992 and 1993 and all reports are ecstatic. Pair it with a reasonable source and speakers, put on some decent recordings and you would know what I am talking about.

Regards.

anm,

If you can, buy a Cambridge Audio Azur 840c. That is the hands down winner in its own price class and betters many other CD players above it. It even outclassed the lower and mid range Meridian CD Players.

To better it, it was replaced by the EAR Acute CD Player. Thats how good the Cambridge Azur 840c is.

There are so many out there, and I've heard and owned a lot. The Cambridge is very special. At least audition it somewhere if you can.

I know this is a VERY specific recommendation but I have that much confidence in it and will be saving any buyer with a lot of headache of testing out other players. I'm making life easy for ya ;) Wouldn't you rather NOT worry about equipment and just enjoy the music? Thats how I feel at least.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back