Need help in selecting a HT package under 30K

Abhisheksinha

Hi all,
This is Abhishek from Pune.
I am planning to buy an HT package. Request you all to give your inputs. Here are some basic requirements/details

Usage: music (60%) and movies (40%)
Room size: Living room (approx. 15X10)
Connectivity: Samsung 40" LED TV, PS3, Tata Sky HD, iPod, USB/Portable drive
Budget: 30K
Options: Pioneer VSX 323 (40K, audition-liked, out of budget), YHT-196 (26K, Auditioned - didn't like), Onkyo HTS (30K, Yet to audition)

I also auditioned YHT 196 but didn't like it much. I have limited understanding of sound and acoustics. So, I decided to visit an acoustic consultant for Demo (Acoustics Engineers in Erandwane, Pune). They had only one ready system (Pioneer VSX 323) which I auditioned. I kinda liked the system (especially the performance at low volume). But they quoted Rs.50K which is completely out of my budget (35k for HT, 5k for cables, 3k for clamps and 7k for installation). They kept telling me that installation and acoustics is the most crucial factor for getting the desired sound quality.
Now, I understand the importance of installation but I really can't spend anything beyond 35K. There are some used systems like Yamaha DSP A595A available for 15K (but these are usually 4-5 years old so I am not sure about USB/iPod connectivity).

Have read a lot of positive reviews about Onkyo HTS 3500 and planning to audition this as well.

I am confused on whether to buy a HT system in 30K range (and do the installation myself) or buy a used system for 15-16K (and pay another 10K to get the installation done by an Acoustics consultant)?

Thanks in advance. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back