Need Help Selecting An Integrated Stereo Amp

Slight detour here@aslia
Since i am looking for an amp, can u suggest a cost effective pre amp for XPA 200. I can get both from USA.

Are you specifically looking for pre/pwr combo? What is your requirement/budget?
If you can source from US and requirement is 2-Ch, check Outlaw Audio too.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
This product has got some very good reviews.
I have Outlaw's M2200 and OSB-1. Well engineered products.

Cheers,
Raghu

since you are in Japan right now, why dont you check Yamaha AS-2100. It is a serious piece of equipment. I have its earlier version AS-2000.

Zone 2 says line out; which means AVR volume control may not take effect.
Power amps will typically not have volume control.

Last edited:
I say don't buy expensive foreign amps...our Norge will be good enough and better than any 4x the price you pay for foreign stuff. Spend all your money on the speakers because , believe me, speakers make the most difference.

Hello asliarun, this is a totally different approach which you have suggested and I like it! It had never occurred to be me or rather I must say I was not aware of this option.
I see that I can use all my input options which are currently connected to my AVR like PS4, Minix Neo Android box, my videocon d2h etc! And I can expand in the future to 5.1 with the surrounds for watching movies.

But I have a question about SQ. How does it get affected if the AVR per-amp out are used? Please let me know.

I have been using my Marantz Slimline AVR exactly this way - I use its preouts to feed into Dayens Ecstasy (which works as a power amp). I have absolutely no complaints about sound quality. And you get flexibility - you can use room correction EQ (Audyssey MultEQ room correction in my case) or choose not to use any equalization or sound processing and use "Pure Direct" mode.

In this setup, the only thing affecting sound quality is the quality of the DAC in the AVR. You can also choose to use an external DAC down the line and feed its analog output into your AVR (typically into the CD "Audio In" analog inputs). That way, you have a high quality DAC feeding into your AVR which is just passing through the sound in pure/direct mode to your power amp which then passes the amplified signal into the speakers.

But, you still retain all the convenience of your AVR, and only need to switch between sources to play pure music or to watch a movie.

Another thing to consider - if you expand to a full surround sound setup, you can use your AVR's speaker outputs to drive your other channels, while using the stereo pre-out and power amp to continue driving the main speakers. I haven't tried this myself as I only operate in stereo mode, but I think your AVR should be able to supply unamplified signal to pre-outs and also simultaneously provide amplified signal to the speaker outputs. And since your AVR's power section is no longer doing heavy duty amplification for your hard to drive main speakers, it should have enough power reserve to drive your other channels (assuming they are not power hogs).

@asliarun, @sachmm

That is exactly how I am using power amps in my setup.
AVR and IA pre-outs to a passive switch and then onto power-amps for L/R. This is possible because AVR/IA have pre-outs. AVR powers 3 channels (C/SL/SR)
With the OPs AVR, it seems to be Zone 2 line out. Not sure if it will work, as line out is a fixed voltage. Volume control will not be there if it is true line out.

SQ is not an issue; in fact it rocks.
Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Slight detour here@aslia
Since i am looking for an amp, can u suggest a cost effective pre amp for XPA 200. I can get both from USA.

Parasound ZPre2 is available for $400

I used to have an Emotiva stereo preamp which cost about $300 but it is no longer being produced.

One of my favorite preamps was actually Audio GD DAC which also worked as a preamp (had a volume control built in). NFB-11 for example retails at $325. You will be hard pressed to find high res audio DACs of similar quality at this price, let alone a DAC with a well implemented volume control. The only drawback of course is that this is only half a preamp - in the sense that it doesn't allow you to switch between inputs.

In my case, because of WAF and kids and the need to simplify my setup, I ended up with a Marantz Slimline AVR. It works very well as a preamp for a stereo power amp via pre-outs which is how I am using. And the size is small too - as big as other sterep preamps. Accessories4less has really really good prices.

NR1504 for example is only $300 (I have NR1403).

if you listen to music for 6 hours a week

52 weeks = 312 hours

the amp looks good and if you keep it for 5 years then total hours = 312 x 5 = 1560

258000 yen = inr 160000

so per hour cost = Rs 103 rounded off for the amp alone.. + electricity charges and assuming zero maintenance

:)

your call..:D

Hmm... first time i put pen to paper like this...:lol:

if you listen to music for 6 hours a week

52 weeks = 312 hours

the amp looks good and if you keep it for 5 years then total hours = 312 x 5 = 1560

258000 yen = inr 160000

so per hour cost = Rs 103 rounded off for the amp alone.. + electricity charges and assuming zero maintenance

:)

your call..:D

Hmm... first time i put pen to paper like this...:lol:

That is a true audiophile kulkarni assessment :lol:

actually--- come to think of it..

a decent stereo amp = 150000
a decent cdp / dac = 150000
a decent pair of speakers = 150000
collection of cd's / Lp's = rs 150000 approx value

so per hour cost will be rs 103 x 4 = Rs 412 per hour for hardware alone

point to ponder...;):cool:

then add cost of beers :cheers:

and there is no :argue: that audiofilia is an expensive hobby..

actually--- come to think of it..

a decent stereo amp = 150000
a decent cdp / dac = 150000
a decent pair of speakers = 150000
collection of cd's / Lp's = rs 150000 approx value

so per hour cost will be rs 103 x 4 = Rs 412 per hour for hardware alone

point to ponder...;):cool:

then add cost of beers :cheers:

and there is no :argue: that audiofilia is an expensive hobby..

Hehe mpw you forgot to add the bribe you need to pay to go higher on the WAF in terms of gold jewellery n diamonds.:lol:

So the overall per hour cost wd go much higher::)

Dear FMs,
I finally took the plunge and bought the Yamaha A-S801 here in Japan:eek:hyeah:. Bought it with the YBA 11 bluetooth adapter (sold separately). I took a couple more auditions before buying and I liked the sound.

I am yet to buy the step down trans which I am thinking of doing next weekend. Btw, I also checked the power schematics and seems like there is a possibility to change it to 220v-240v, however I am not sure. If this could be possible then I might not have to buy and live with the step down. I will post that question in a relevant thread.

I am still in Japan for sometime and will post the pics when I am back to Bangalore. Thanks a lot for all who helped me choose the amp:).
Best Regards,
Sachin

Here are the pics... I have kept them outside temporarily as i need to make some space inside the cabinet.
I had ordered for a step down from a manufacturer not too far from my home here in Bangalore. So got that today too.

For now i have just connected it via an optical cable to my ps4. I tested it with a bluray with hindi video songs and was thrilled to hear the sound which is much better than my onkyo AVR!!!
Even my wife could tell the difference easily!

Next wd be to buy a nice bluray player with analog out. Thinking of yamaha BD 1040 ?.

Attachments

• 20160418_230114.jpg
    20160418_230114.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 78
Here are the pics... I have kept them outside temporarily as i need to make some space inside the cabinet.
I had ordered for a step down from a manufacturer not too far from my home here in Bangalore. So got that today too.

For now i have just connected it via an optical cable to my ps4. I tested it with a bluray with hindi video songs and was thrilled to hear the sound which is much better than my onkyo AVR!!!
Even my wife could tell the difference easily!

Next wd be to buy a nice bluray player with analog out. Thinking of yamaha BD 1040 ?.

Excellent. Congratulations.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back