Need suggestions for choosing the amplifier

tomonpublic

Hi Experts,

I need your suggestions for a better upgrade plan.

Currently I am using Onkyo HT-S5205B Home Theatre System for almost 10 years.

After some FM suggestions, I just bought a TAGA C-90 SL and Wharfedale 220 bookshelf speakers to cover my centre and front.

Now I need your help to choose the amplifier. Definitely I would be upgrading all my speakers, subs in the future. But not right away.

My requirement is very simple. Need a quality Home Theatre Experience when watching movies and when listening music.

So thinking of getting a good future-proof amplifier/AVR which supports ATMOS and other surround technologies (forgive my ignorance. I am just a newbie).

My budget would be maximum 80k for the amplifier and I dont spend anything for the next 6 months except the amplifier.

Please provide your feedback. Thanks.

Hi tomonpublic- How do you intend to connect the source to the amplifier? Does your source have any pre-amplifier (volume switch) capability to drive an amplifier? If not then either you have to buy a dedicate pre-amplifier or use the existing AVR if it has multi channel out feature to connect to an external amplifier. You need to clarify this part before deciding on an external amplifier.
Thanks.

Hi tomonpublic- How do you intend to connect the source to the amplifier? Does your source have any pre-amplifier (volume switch) capability to drive an amplifier? If not then either you have to buy a dedicate pre-amplifier or use the existing AVR if it has multi channel out feature to connect to an external amplifier. You need to clarify this part before deciding on an external amplifier.
Thanks.

Hi Indranil,

Let me put this clear. Basically I am looking for a AVR which has ATMOS support. Sorry for the confusion.

tomonpublic- Ok, that makes sense. Marantz is really good in this category and they support Dolby Atmos.

My budget would be maximum 80k for the amplifier and I dont spend anything for the next 6 months except the amplifier.

Ideally Denon x 3400 will be a better choice in your budget, as it has Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 feature, that is aval in Denon / Marantz flagship AVR..

If not, you can opt for Denon x 1400 and save 30K, complete remaining set-up..

Last edited:
@tomonpublic

If you are looking at future proofing,then please invest in a good amp.In my opinion Amps are the heart and soul for any music/HT setup.. a good amp can make even ordinary speakers sing..
You have mentioned that you would be upgrading your speakers in the near future..
In that case you can cut down on the speakers budget, and invest more in a good

You also have the option for buying top class pre-owned speakers..i see many on the classified section and you could get some great deals..

here are the links to Stereophile recommendations ..this would help you with more choices..
https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2017-edition-surround-sound-components

https://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2018-edition-surround-sound-components

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back