Netflix, now available in INDIA .....

Doesn't it suit Netflix if the unblocking services make Netflix more popular in countries like India?

Netflix is basically bypassing the government/corporate license requirements regarding the contents by allowing these services.

What will Netflix gain by blocking them? On the other hand, they may end up losing subscription if they block these services.

Actually it does. All this time it didn't care how these countries used netflix. However with formal country agreements it can't risking antagonizing them. So it will attract show seriousness in curbing how much it will succeed is another matter.

Let see what dns service providers will do to counter this. M sure they will. I hope. .

I can access Netflix on my computer. However I cannot access Netflix on my OPPO93 or my Yamaha Bluray player . Both have Netflix and Youtube options. Youtube works fine but Netflix does not. I had a chat with Netflix customer service and they said that both these devices were not in their list of activated machines. Supposedly they will now do this. On their web page only a few manufacturers are listed under 'bluray' players'.
Most small USB plug in Net access devices seem to be activated already.

Ultimately... if content is not improved in netflix india ..they will not be many subscribers renewing. As of now tatasky/dth offers much better content.

Now, I wonder what kind of Speed & Data usage ISP plans would be needed for this.

Please do share which ISP/ Plan/ Price is working out well for you..

I am on 125GB plan. So basically I can stream about 1 to 2 hour content per day. I just need to control watching too much in a day :)

I have unlimited 10 mbps plan so no worries of FUP..
FiveNet cable network
I wolud prefer to stick with DNS PROXY way..

My FUP is 100 GB and I have done pretty decent binge watching, but I still somehow manage to get past the month. I dont watch Netflix everyday. I also have Amazon Prime Video so sometimes that is there. If you skip 4-5 days your average adds up pretty high, enough to get a binge watching go for a day or two. PLUS netflix is not always 1080p. 20-30% of the time its 720p for me, which also takes less bandwidth.

It's about number of devices one can use simultaneously, as they have clearly mentioned on their pricing page: "Screens you can watch on at the same time" Basic: 1, Standard: 2, & Premium: 4 for @ Rs. 500, 650 and 800 respectively.
So 1 screen = 1 device.

What you can do is create different profiles for different users wanting to share one standard or premium account. Say 2 profiles for standard and 4 profiles for premium account. There will be only one user name and password.

Yes that is possible, and thats what we are doing in our US Netflix club, 4 people sharing one account.

Now, I wonder what kind of Speed & Data usage ISP plans would be needed for this :)

ACT (the isp who was previously known as beam) works fine for my use case. I guess.

Now, for the past several years on this plan my total usage (for ~ 36mo) would not have not crossed my monthly FUP but this netflix thing has pushed it to about 55 GB this month.

I am not too worried because I have more or less exhausted what interests me in the portion of the their catalog that is visible to me (wrt movies/ documentaries).

I am sure they have very interesting stuff - for instance I would not have watched that very depressing Virunga (BTW you think it happens only in Africa ? think again) or that documentary on Keith Richards without Netflix, but what is visible / available currently IMHO is somewhat Meh!

From my POV paying 650 INR monthly to binge watch a few TV serials (and what after them)

I don't think I will be subscribing after the 7th feb when my free membership runs out.

ciao
gr

I pay Rs. 11500/- per year for 10mbps true unlimited plan for my "Fivenet" connection..no FUP...
While MTNL charges Rs.2800/- per month for 8 mbps plan with 165 Gb/month FUP..

Getflix preparing for the Netflix blockage as of 15th Jan: https://www.facebook.com/GetflixAU/posts/630531757084604

Today (23rd Jan) they have upgraded the US Networks. You can see 4 options (Central 1 & 2 and East 1 & 2) for this region now.
w7zaqu.jpg

^^ yes only of you are watching saas bhau serials ...:D

No not necessarily. Channels like Colors Infinity Plus HD are offering some amazing content. Plus starword premier and HBO defined have some excellent content as well. IMO video quality of some of these new channels is jaw dropping as well... ( i use tataSky with a 1.4 Chord Activ HDMI cable )

Netflix was a passing fancy. I am so over it...:D ( have seen most of the few decent shows like Narcos, Marco Polo etc) . There movies library is pathetic.

What amazing content bro ..... every TV series I have tried watching, like parenthood, flash or more popular series like The big bang theory or my fav whos like is it anyway is just plagued with censor silence on even regular dialogues, (even Quantico with our own Priyanka, I can vouch 3-4 scenes were cut completely on Indian Channel, thats when I dropped the idea and watched the series on HULU and everything was shown as its supposed to be ...) and not to forget constant stupid reminders of how smoking n drinking is injurious to health every fckin time there is even a slightest of liquor or smoke shown on screen. This is ludicrous. I would rather watch less content than adulterated. poor censored one thrown down my throat.

How can you even think of watching TV series like Better call saul or iZombie on these channels..... these are for mature audience and indian TV channels are like kids on the block. With so much of censorship forced, it is just downright pathetic to even remotely enjoy TV series. And Netflix alone may not be having all the content, but combine it with Amazon Prime Video and HULU and you got all solid unadulterated pure clean TV entertainment. I would rather,...... infact I have rather cut down my cable bill to half by discontinuing these so called "fake" hollywood TV channels and invested the same on getting Netflix, Amazon Prime and HULU and I cannot be more happier than this .....

Indian TV channels are only good for saas bahu series, mythology (that too are stupidly presented) and yes awards functions with all Bollywood Divas shaking their booty ... and THAT would not be censored ... :)

Last edited:
What amazing content bro ..... every TV series I have tried watching, like parenthood, flash or more popular series like The big bang theory or my fav whos like is it anyway is just plagued with censor silence on even regular dialogues, (even Quantico with our own Priyanka, I can vouch 3-4 scenes were cut completely on Indian Channel, thats when I dropped the idea and watched the series on HULU and everything was shown as its supposed to be ...) and not to forget constant stupid reminders of how smoking n drinking is injurious to health every fckin time there is even a slightest of liquor or smoke shown on screen. This is ludicrous. I would rather watch less content than adulterated. poor censored one thrown down my throat.

How can you even think of watching TV series like Better call saul or iZombie on these channels..... these are for mature audience and indian TV channels are like kids on the block. With so much of censorship forced, it is just downright pathetic to even remotely enjoy TV series. And Netflix alone may not be having all the content, but combine it with Amazon Prime Video and HULU and you got all solid unadulterated pure clean TV entertainment. I would rather,...... infact I have rather cut down my cable bill to half by discontinuing these so called "fake" hollywood TV channels and invested the same on getting Netflix, Amazon Prime and HULU and I cannot be more happier than this .....

Indian TV channels are only good for saas bahu series, mythology (that too are stupidly presented) and yes awards functions with all Bollywood Divas shaking their booty ... and THAT would not be censored ... :)

+1. I had to rewatch Dexter on Netflix for just this reason... the Indian version (aired a few years ago on Star World) cut pretty much anything related to sex, gore, etc. In fact the episodes on TV were like 45 mins or so (considering all the ad breaks), but actual Dexter episodes run anywhere from 53 to 58 mins each.

They would probably cut Game of Thrones down to 30 mins each episode considering the nudity in it.

+1. I had to rewatch Dexter on Netflix <snip> but actual Dexter episodes run anywhere from 53 to 58 mins each.

Hi

Gosh ! I did not know they cut that much. Queued ! Currently watching HTGAWM and it is nothing like the episodes i caught on telly:rolleyes:

I have to decide on renewal on the 6th Feb and ATM apart from the serials nothing much on interest

ciao
gr

Hi

Gosh ! I did not know they cut that much. Queued ! Currently watching HTGAWM and it is nothing like the episodes i caught on telly:rolleyes:

I have to decide on renewal on the 6th Feb and ATM apart from the serials nothing much on interest

ciao
gr

India is extremely limited. If you want Netflix then you need to go all the way with VPN and proxy services. I watch a lot of Netflix US and some of Netflix UK, and they offer a ton of content not found anywhere else. Even Netflix Canada is quite limited... so don't blame Netflix India alone in this regard.

I'd say the networks want it this way... the Netflix Original serials thankfully are available everywhere.

If you are basing usage on only Netflix India then it has a long way to go before it replaces DTH and cable.

PS: VPN also offers other advantages like you can watch the TV shows (for free) on the Network websites and Hulu. New serials, latest episodes are typically available for 2 weeks for free.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back