New acquisition - EMT 950 turntable

Anilva, you are going to have a whole bunch of Hifivisioners wanting to be a part of that will:)

In my case, wify refused to let me buy a 938 after listening to old bollywood records playing on them, on vividh bharti

Didn't quite understand. Was it because of low WAF of 938 or was it usage at Vividh Bharati which made her reject a 938? In case you had the opportunity to buy a 938 and did not , you have lost a great chance to buy a broadcast turntable.

Anil, I once saw a EMT 938 in my early days of Turntable hunt. I did not know about EMT at that time. It looked more like a old music center to me. The same guy later on gave me the JP player mentioning this was from AIR. I am sure the EMT also must have been from AIR.

Didn't quite understand. Was it because of low WAF of 938 or was it usage at Vividh Bharati which made her reject a 938? In case you had the opportunity to buy a 938 and did not , you have lost a great chance to buy a broadcast turntable.

Yes, actually I was pursuing one but left it. It too was from Germany. Old records played on Vividh Bharti sound pathetic, so that's the connection. Once when we were listening, she asked me about what turntable they use at Vividh Bharti, and I opened my big mouth and said EMT :)

Finally after a long wait, got my new EMT TSD15-SFL MC cartridge for the EMT 950. Setting up is a breeze, as there are no adjustments that one need to make on a EMT tonearm. Just fix, adjust the VTF and antiskate and there you go. SFL stands for Super Fine Line tip.

Out of the box, sounds a million dollars compared to anything that I have listened. So this is really pushing the envelope of what the boundaries of reproduction are in a analog system. Till now when I was listening to the same setup on a DL-103, I was thinking what more can one get out the chain. It was quite good. Now the new cartridge just opens another flood gate of dynamics and detail far superior to DL103 (in this setup).

So the chain is a EMT TSD15, built in transformer based MC preamp of EMT 950, B1 preamp, MiniDSP active crossover, twin Pass F5 Turbo amps, and Altec 515B LF in Onken cabinets and Altec 288G HF with Azura horns.

The cartridge is expected to sound better with some break-in hours, which will happen during course of time.

The cartridge being quite expensive, I need to figure out some form of stylus protector as the TSD15 does not come with any.

Here are some pictures.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_4773.jpg
    IMG_4773.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Anilva, nice to know you finally took the plunge:)

Thanks to your advice as well as Rajiv and few others, I bought the Tondose. I was thinking how much better can it be for the money. It is worth every cent.

Cheers.

Anilva, I don't think you need a stylus cover. I have been using mine for the last 3 years without any problem. I use a Onzow stylus cleaner

Drooooooool droooooooooooool droooooooooool and droooooooooooolllll gosh Anil this just looks so so solid! I think the next meet will be at your house now :)

I am trying to include these machines in my will, to ensure that my wife does not give it away to a "kabaadi wala" after me

This is a good point Anil! The gf was surprised to know how much a Garrard goes for abroad. Thankfully she loves vinyls too so no disposing of it :)

Hee Hee Hee Dont worry chaps. It is rumored and probably is true that people who listen to vinyls live longer. See told ya. :D

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back