EMT 938 pictures

You are right Anilva, scratch filters are high-pass filters. I've experimented with a few of these, with not so favourable results. Usually scratch filters are switchable (on/off) but the EMT seems to have a multiposition control. Is it a pot or a switchable control? Its interesting because I guess you can control the quantum of hi-pass. So probably for 78rpm playback, one could use a greater degree of high-pass while for older LPs, one can use a lesser degree. Please provide your valuable insight. Thanks.

Scratch filter is the knob in the picture to the extreme right. Normally they are high cut or notch filters designed to take out scratch frequencies. Purists will not like this and will not use the scratch filter, but in broadcast applications, you need to take out scratches if you are transmitting on AM frequencies anyway to benefit the listeners.

I've seen some extremely funny designs for scratch filters in small low-end record players. Some designs were so basic that only a single 0.1mfd capacitor was switched across the volume control for the purpose :lol:

Hello,

Nice looking player. I am sure it sounds amazing. I hope to visit you and listen to it sometime soon. Yes, the noise filter may not be for the purists. I have seen such a feature in some old Philips models but I am sure this must be of much better quality of filtering
kuruvilajacob

I've seen some extremely funny designs for scratch filters in small low-end record players. Some designs were so basic that only a single 0.1mfd capacitor was switched across the volume control for the purpose :lol:

A friend of mine used to have a vintage Philips integrated that had a scratch filter which could be engaged on or off. It was quite effective in cancelling vinyl noise but when used on cassette playback (which was his main usage), it smoothened and killed much of the soul of the sound.

Continuing my audio piligrimage at Kuruvilajacob's place, I visited Anil last Saturday to listen to his EMT 938. He has modded the EMT to take the Denon DL103. I have never heard an EMT before but have heard the DL 103 in its standard avatar a few times now including Anil's Technics SP 10 and it is a fantastic cartridge. Working with the EMT, it sounds very good - dynamic as always but it has a better authority over the music. The bass is noticably better and so is the scale - the best I have heard with a DL103. The EMT is built like a tank and Anil's EMT is in "like new" condition and he has recently overhauled his TT himself and it is now as good as new :)

We then listened to a few of his other TTs - the Technics SP10 with Denon DL103 and both his Technics SL-1200s, one with a AT ML440 cart and the other with Sumiko Black Pearl. All fantastic TTs and thats all we had time for that day :)

Thanks Anil, had a terrific time listening to your rig.

Continuing my audio piligrimage at Kuruvilajacob's place, I visited Anil last Saturday to listen to his EMT 938. He has modded the EMT to take the Denon DL103. I have never heard an EMT before but have heard the DL 103 in its standard avatar a few times now including Anil's Technics SP 10 and it is a fantastic cartridge. Working with the EMT, it sounds very good - dynamic as always but it has a better authority over the music. The bass is noticably better and so is the scale - the best I have heard with a DL103. The EMT is built like a tank and Anil's EMT is in "like new" condition and he has recently overhauled his TT himself and it is now as good as new :)

We then listened to a few of his other TTs - the Technics SP10 with Denon DL103 and both his Technics SL-1200s, one with a AT ML440 cart and the other with Sumiko Black Pearl. All fantastic TTs and thats all we had time for that day :)

Thanks Anil, had a terrific time listening to your rig.
Thanks Santhosh. It is always a pleasure to have a knowledgeable enthusiast like you come over and appreciate the differences. But for you getting delayed and again under pressure to head-out, we could have spent more time doing some intense listening than playing half tracks on every system. In between my travel and work, I managed to complete the first of the three F5T builds yesterday.

Cheers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back