EMT 938 pictures

Hi Anil

Congrats and good job with the restoration.

I have seen and heard this turntable at Ghaziabad, I think you bought it from there.
I was not aware of its value at that time and also was short on funds as I also picked up some stuff from him. Good that it has gone to a deserving person.

--Vinay Arora

Hi Anil

Congrats and good job with the restoration.

I have seen and heard this turntable at Ghaziabad, I think you bought it from there.
I was not aware of its value at that time and also was short on funds as I also picked up some stuff from him. Good that it has gone to a deserving person.

--Vinay Arora

Vinay,

Yes, it is bought from Ghaziabad. Some of these pieces are not easy to restore and require a investment more than the total purchase price (I already did) and then the ability to fix it. I have interest and may be some skill and experience to do it. Given the paucity of time due to my professional commitments, these things sometime take me more than a year to complete. Anything to do with vintage equipment is always fraught with risk as some critical spares may not be available at all and then the purchase is a waste.

Cheers.

Continuing on my EMT 938 journey, I have fitted the DL-103 cartridge in the EMT headshell. Quite a task and a pretty tight fit. Here are the pictures. I did not want to buy the expensive EMT cartridge right now, hence this alternative arrangement till then.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 124
Hi,

Anil,that is some very delicate surgery.You should have made a video of the process and uploaded it on youtube.

How did you bend the cartridge pins at that angle, and did you have to cut/file the pins?

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Anil,that is some very delicate surgery.You should have made a video of the process and uploaded it on youtube.

How did you bend the cartridge pins at that angle, and did you have to cut/file the pins?

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv,

Bending pins need to be done carefully exerting the right amount of pressure. I have a used a nose plier to bend, with the point of wedge being the bottom of the pin. There is no filing or cutting required for the pins. Mounting the cartridge is quite tricky. I had to use a dab of Fevibond to hold the spacer washers in place below the cartridge, since the top part of DL-103 is magnetic.

Cheers.

Ah finally up and running mmmmmmm..... yet another gem in the man cave :)

There are a few things to resolve before I hear it play. The big one being the MC phono transformer/PCB for the EMT. Right now it is with MM option.

Cheers.

Finally the EMT is singing. Today I got the cable to connect the tonearm to RCA and promptly connected to my Yamaha MC preamp. Immediately what I noticed is that there is solid bass along with balanced mid and nice highs. Very DL103-ish sound accentuated by the high quality EMT 929 tonearm running at a down force of 2.5 grams.

Taken couple of pictures with my phone. Here they are...

Attachments

• EMT_run1.jpg
    EMT_run1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 130
  • EMT_run2.jpg
    EMT_run2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 129
have a quick question for Anilva, any idea whether the scratch filter was a specific attribute added for All India Radio? Can't seem to find these on other 938s, especially from European radio stations.

have a quick question for Anilva, any idea whether the scratch filter was a specific attribute added for All India Radio? Can't seem to find these on other 938s, especially from European radio stations.

Yes, I believe this is a specific feature incorporated by Meltron for AIR to deal with old records.

Anil/Reuben,
Please shed some light on what a scratch filter. Is it visible in the posted pics? Which one?

Anil/Reuben,
Please shed some light on what a scratch filter. Is it visible in the posted pics? Which one?

Scratch filter is the knob in the picture to the extreme right. Normally they are high cut or notch filters designed to take out scratch frequencies. Purists will not like this and will not use the scratch filter, but in broadcast applications, you need to take out scratches if you are transmitting on AM frequencies anyway to benefit the listeners.

Hi,

Anil great to see the EMT up and running.

The Denon you use is it the regular 103 or the 103R?

Regards
Rajiv

Hello,

Nice looking player. I am sure it sounds amazing. I hope to visit you and listen to it sometime soon. Yes, the noise filter may not be for the purists. I have seen such a feature in some old Philips models but I am sure this must be of much better quality of filtering
kuruvilajacob

Hi,

Anil great to see the EMT up and running.

The Denon you use is it the regular 103 or the 103R?

Regards
Rajiv

It is a standard DL-103. Never heard a 103R. I am sure it is good. 103s never disappointed me. BTW bought a Sumiko Pearl (new) at $100 for my Dual 721. Hope the compliance suits.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back