• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

New Audio-Technica AT-LP120 does not work !!!

jonrarit

bumping an old thread I know but hopefully someone can help. We recently had a major power surge in our street after a power cut (UK) . So much so that 30 homes were affected with TV's fridges, ovens all sorts literally catching fire when the power came on. Power company been great, admitted liability etc etc replaced every electrical appliance without quibble including my LP-120.

So I am looking at the original unit. It powers up & all function buttons ok but it wont turn. Found this thread and yes the main fuse was fine but the "K" fuse on the motor circuit board had blown. Following instructions here I bridged it but still no movement from the motor...however the component on the heat sink gets VERY hot quickly ...like 100 degrees C using my laser thermometer. Obviously I shut it down pretty quickly as I could smell the burning ...... So there you have it, all buttons working, fuses ok but no movement from the motor and a LOT of heat. Pictures attached of the board and the component on the heat sink.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

SPONSORED ADS

Attachments

SPONSORED ADS

RJ1979

I bought a broken AT LP 120 from eBay. Someone did the same with the voltage switch and the unit was dead. I changed the fuses and the turntable worked for an hour (sounded great) and then all the lights went off and the machine stopped working.

The fuses are still ok but the transformer was roasting hot.

Was wondering if anyone still has copies of the circuit diagrams that have been shared on this thead. Really want to get this unit up and running again.

Many thanks for any help.

loss

bumping an old thread I know but hopefully someone can help. We recently had a major power surge in our street after a power cut (UK) . So much so that 30 homes were affected with TV's fridges, ovens all sorts literally catching fire when the power came on. Power company been great, admitted liability etc etc replaced every electrical appliance without quibble including my LP-120.

So I am looking at the original unit. It powers up & all function buttons ok but it wont turn. Found this thread and yes the main fuse was fine but the "K" fuse on the motor circuit board had blown. Following instructions here I bridged it but still no movement from the motor...however the component on the heat sink gets VERY hot quickly ...like 100 degrees C using my laser thermometer. Obviously I shut it down pretty quickly as I could smell the burning ...... So there you have it, all buttons working, fuses ok but no movement from the motor and a LOT of heat. Pictures attached of the board and the component on the heat sink.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan
Hi! I had the same problem. I had both fuses blown, i replaced the glass one and bridged the K one. I worked since the motor spins, but i smelled something burning and i saw fumes leaving the TT. So i unplugged it immediately and opened it. The component on the heat sink was extremely hot, i kind of burned mi finger by touching it. Were you able to solve this?

I bought a broken AT LP 120 from eBay. Someone did the same with the voltage switch and the unit was dead. I changed the fuses and the turntable worked for an hour (sounded great) and then all the lights went off and the machine stopped working.

Was wondering if anyone still has copies of the circuit diagrams that have been shared on this thead. Really want to get this unit up and running again.

Hi
I just got the same issue. Go the turntale. The main fuse was the Problem so I've changed it. First it worked just fine. But after a while it just stopped working. The unit was really hot. I checked and the transformator was the problem (i am guessing). Did you got to repair yours? I am not willig to just get rid ofit and rhe technical Service is gonna be really expensive. If you have any information please contact me ASAP. I would really appreciate that!

Hi!
I have the the same problem. Were you able to repair th TT? I need some help (and hope...). Cheers!

Guys.. Sincere apologies... was away from the forum for a long time...
Also tried to answer few of you personally....

Could not upload the file since it was 6 MB... splitting it page wise...

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 374.4 KB Views: 58
  • 395.6 KB Views: 39
  • 284.6 KB Views: 36
  • 224.7 KB Views: 36
  • 217.1 KB Views: 43
  • 485.8 KB Views: 35

RJ1979

Hi
I just got the same issue. Go the turntale. The main fuse was the Problem so I've changed it. First it worked just fine. But after a while it just stopped working. The unit was really hot. I checked and the transformator was the problem (i am guessing). Did you got to repair yours? I am not willig to just get rid ofit and rhe technical Service is gonna be really expensive. If you have any information please contact me ASAP. I would really appreciate that!
Sorry for the delay in me replying. I did manage to fix the over heating transformer issue. I’m my case the voltage regulator on the main board that is mounted on its own heat sink was faulty. I tested them both and the one labled 7812 was the faulty one for me. I replaced it and the turntable functions correctly.

It sounds like you have blown the thermal fuse in your transformer so you will either need to have the fuse replaced or you will need a new transformer before you can even look into changing voltage regulators. I got a new transformer sent from Germany for around 45 euros.

Sorry for the delay in me replying. I did manage to fix the over heating transformer issue. I’m my case the voltage regulator on the main board that is mounted on its own heat sink was faulty. I tested them both and the one labled 7812 was the faulty one for me. I replaced it and the turntable functions correctly.

It sounds like you have blown the thermal fuse in your transformer so you will either need to have the fuse replaced or you will need a new transformer before you can even look into changing voltage regulators. I got a new transformer sent from Germany for around 45 euros.

Thank you for your reply. I did get a new transformer and replace it. Now it is working again. But it is still getting really really hot. I am worried that I am going to blow something else if I can keep using it. I do not understand this bit from your reply: "I did manage to fix the overheating transformer issue. I’m my case the voltage regulator on the main board that is mounted on its own heat sink was faulty." Could you please explain to me a little bit more? Do you mean the two black regulators from the last photo (not on the main board)?
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. I did get a new transformer and replace it. Now it is working again. But it is still getting really really hot. I am worried that I am going to blow something else if I can keep using it. I do not understand this bit from your reply: "I did manage to fix the overheating transformer issue. I’m my case the voltage regulator on the main board that is mounted on its own heat sink was faulty." Could you please explain to me a little bit more? Do you mean the two black regulators from the last photo (not on the main board)?
Thank you for your help!

And one more question: Where did you found the voltage regulator? I just found some on Ebay (BA12T), are those the right ones?

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I make minor repairs on analog equipment.
I received this Toca discs as part of a payment. I really want to fix it for myself. The initial problem would be the fuses, but after the change even then the motor rotation was wrong.
The BA6868FM CI was replaced and the disk player spun again, but it worked for a few minutes and stopped. I noticed a lot of heating on the 7818 regulator, and when the equipment is turned on, the pilot light is very weak, and the engine is trying to turn, as if it were locked. But if I take out the double blue AC cord, it will again get the strong light immediately. + - 25vac
I will do a more complete analysis of the voltages according to the scheme and I will update you any improvement in the equipment.
Best Regards,
Halisson

Attachments

Hi, I'm from Brazil and I make minor repairs on analog equipment.
I received this Toca discs as part of a payment. I really want to fix it for myself. The initial problem would be the fuses, but after the change even then the motor rotation was wrong.
The BA6868FM CI was replaced and the disk player spun again, but it worked for a few minutes and stopped. I noticed a lot of heating on the 7818 regulator, and when the equipment is turned on, the pilot light is very weak, and the engine is trying to turn, as if it were locked. But if I take out the double blue AC cord, it will again get the strong light immediately. + - 25vac
I will do a more complete analysis of the voltages according to the scheme and I will update you any improvement in the equipment.
Best Regards,
Halisson
I decided!

After downloading again BA6868FM, replace IC104,105 and IC106 (overheating and they were already resoldados many times, I put the 3 new ICs), turn perfectly!
Before replacing the IC, two broken fuses. The initial motif was connected to the 220vac voltage and selected 110vac.

Greetings,

Halisson

jjinimm

Hello. I'm experiencing the same things. I got the LP-60 from Amazon US(115v). And I'm from Malaysia(230v). Being the electrical/voltage dumb-dumb that I am, I connected it to power source and it works for 5 seconds and shut down. I try contacting the SEA region's technical team and they still dont really provide that much help. Is the transformer is the kind that you find at electrical store or is it like specific from AT? Again, I don't know much about this things. I just know that it dont spins.

dygz24

hello,

Im having the same problem. It turns on but its just not spinning. I called Audio Technica Customer Support, and their technicians told me that it could be just the tact switch. (He said all the lights are on, so it doesnt seem to be a motor problem. He also said that if I can have anyone who knows how to solder, that may be all i need). I m a little skeptical about buying a replacement part without knowing for sure what the problem is. Can you guys help me out? I know nothing about electronics, but my boyfriend might know some.. what should i check and how should i check it?

I would send it to AT if I can, and there is also a local shop that may fix it, but Im seeing if I can save money or time.

All help will be appreciated.

datamunk

This whole thing pisses me off somewhat. I bought a new house in July 2017 and havent hooked my platter up until today. Lights up, doesnt spin. Found this thread and many others with similar issues, so its clearly a problem in design.

Fortunately, I remembered I purchased the extended warranty at best buy so I'll be taking it back tomorrow (it expires Jan 6 2019...)

I took one of these back already within a month of buying for a different issue. Not a fan of this machine.

SPONSORED ADS