New JBL 3 series - LSR305 & LSR308!!!

arhantd

Recently launched by JBL, the 3 series has been very well received.

JBL 3 Series

28cbaa97-1e4d-4bb3-b68e-dff5a58fc86c.jpg

Apparently they provide unmatched value at their reasonable price points.

LSR305 is available for around $259/pair and LSR308 around $499/pair.

They have been raved about on forums like gearslutz,
with members picking them over all other similarly priced products and in some cases even over more expensive ones like the Equator D5.

Customers at sweetwater.com also have great things to say.

They use a new type of wave guide borrowed from the JBL M2 series monitor which is said to provide a very wide sweet spot.
Sound is generally said to be a little Tubby, but very clean and clear.
And frequency response numbers also look great.

Does anyone know if they are available anywhere in India for an audition or sale? Has any FM heard them anywhere?

Or is any dealer planning to make them available here?
I would love to listen to them.

After toying around with a lot of things, i have finally decided i need to upgrade my Desktop speaker setup.
That means looking for a replacement for the Aktimate Maxi.

Maxi is good, features are great but i think i need to move up sound wise to a simpler setup.
Maxi has FM and Internet radio and a Display screen, all of which i dont really use.
The Maxi has a 6.5" driver and goes down to 48Hz as per the specs (i cannot verify that).
Now i need something that goes deeper and has a better defined bass. I dont mind an 8" monitor as well.

I am open to suggestions or new as well as lightly used ACTIVE/Powered speakers. My budget is only around 60-70k (pair).
I had my eyes set on Genelec 8040 but they are way way over my budget. Unless i can get my hands on a used /demo pair.

I think the JBLs will be a decent bet but i need to find a place to demo them.
So if anyone can suggest some other options or give other ideas it will be great.

Last edited:
These JBL's will be more than decent. I am so tempted to buy these but resisting it.

So Arhantd, the Mumbai HiFi expo has been quite an ear opener for you. At least it has made you feel that your speakers needs an upgrade. :eek:

So Arhantd, the Mumbai HiFi expo has been quite an ear opener for you. At least it has made you feel that your speakers needs an upgrade. :eek:

Haha, absolutely it was an ear opener. I realized i can do better SQ wise and since i spend most of time on the desktop, it makes sense to first upgrade that setup.
Another thing i learned was its best to audition properly if possible.
Unfortunately i wasnt able to scout any options at the show, maybe i should have visited the booths.

@manoj.p - Have you been able to listen to these somewhere?

Find out if there are any dealers in Jaipur who would let you hear their equipment at your home.

I am open to suggestions or new as well as lightly used ACTIVE/Powered speakers. My budget is only around 60-70k (pair).
I had my eyes set on Genelec 8040 but they are way way over my budget. Unless i can get my hands on a used /demo pair.

Why don't you try SM100AK studio monitors from SONODYNE, in your budget?
They have very good reviews internationally.

@heluimflight - Audition is the problem here, i can only get to audition Yamaha here, that also the older series.
But i have planned another bombay trip in December for the same, ill need to plan it properly in order to cover most.

@drkaushik - I heard the new Sonodyne monitors (SRP series) at the Whathifi show,
they were decent but they are quite huge for desktop, even the 6" model is very fat.
But i plan to audition them once more when i get the chance.

Another company that looks interesting is Nubert. With their new NuPro a-200 and a-300 launching in November for decent prices.
They are German and are doing well there, which is a really tough market, so there is hope.
Again no idea if there is an India dealer. But ~1000 Euros with inbuilt DAC and DSP they look tempting.

Nubert NuPro A-300

Googel Translate link - Click Here

index.php

Amazon.de might be the way to get them but that would add up to a price by almost 35% i assume?

Why don't you try SM100AK studio monitors from SONODYNE, in your budget?
They have very good reviews internationally.

Aktimate Mini+ eyes closed for 54k. If you can spend 85-95k then nothing will come close to AVI DM5.

Thanks for the tip.
I had gone through that page today morning and called up the bangalore office and got the number of a distributor in Mumbai. Spoke to him, but he will not deal with customers directly. He will instead ask a system integrator to get in touch with me.
Will update once i get more details from him.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back