OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Yeah, even a friend of mine had his panel replaced for his C7 by LG due to burn in (static news channels running all day). So that does sound hopeful.

Indeed!They know they have legally lost ground too. If they have replaced it for hundreds all over, they can't deny. I have taken Sony to consumer court myself over a touchscreen issue, and they lost, because I had shown forum posts about Sony replacing the entire phone for similar problems abroad. Took a few months, but it happened.

And with your usage, you have nothing to worry about for 5-6 years at least.

Extracts: -
+ LG officially doesn’t cover Burin-In in Warranty.
+ They have added new so-called protection to reduce the chance of having a Burin-In (Nothing changed in Manufacture process).
+ Despite that LG is replacing hundreds of panels out of curtesy (most of the cases after threatening them for suing).
+ First you spend 150K and then fight with Lg to get your screen replaced.

Happy Enjoying TV

Actually burn is not something to worry unless ur going to watch some content with a bright logo for 8-12 hours continuously on a daily basis. If you are going to watch a lot of tv shows, 4k movies you shouldn’t even bother about burn in. Competitors are clearly spreading the fear. For example there was an ad by Samsung where one guy plays a game for 12 hours continuous using the oled and qled tv. After 12 hours no issue in Q led but in the Oled image retention was observed. I mean who is going to play 12 hours straight in an oled?

Indeed. On newer sets, only exceptional use case scenarios will get burn-in within 2-3 years. Most of us won't be facing it at all for 5 years at least.

+ They have added new so-called protection to reduce the chance of having a Burin-In (Nothing changed in Manufacture process).
+ Despite that LG is replacing hundreds of panels out of curtesy (most of the cases after threatening them for suing).

Happy Enjoying TV

Compared to 2017 models, these are the changes:

+Red subpixel boosted 25% in 2018 and then again in 2019. Almost twice the size now.
+Static logo dimming algorithm implemented from 2018 onwards
+Aperture ratio improvements that haven't been utilized for boosting brightness, but reserved for compensation cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. On newer sets, only exceptional use case scenarios will get burn-in within 2-3 years. Most of us won't be facing it at all for 5 years at least.
For me I don’t even have a cable connection. I only watch tv shows and 4K movies using my nvidia shield. So I don’t worry about burn in. Use a servo stabilizer for protection so hoping I won’t have any issues for another 5-7 years

Can some one clarify this for me? If I watch something with a bright logo for few hours, switch to something else for few hours and if you still follow this pattern will there be a burn in(theoretically it could be 50 to 70 years later when the burn in will happen). Or is it like watching with bright logo all the time continuously through out will cause the burn in?

In simple terms, if there is a break of not watching bright logo in between, will there be a burn in?

As long as the viewing duration is within a couple of hours with varied contents, OLED shines. Burin-In is real if it happens on one panel, there is no reason that it won't happen on other until someone from LG can tell us that they are using different manufacture material/process for the rest of the panels. There is a reason that they don't cover Burin-In in Official Warranty because they don't trust their process. Replacing panel doesn't address the real issue with the Panel Stability. In a nutshell, one should be ready to handle the hassles that come with Burin-In before going for an OLED.

Can some one clarify this for me? If I watch something with a bright logo for few hours, switch to something else for few hours and if you still follow this pattern will there be a burn in(theoretically it could be 50 to 70 years later when the burn in will happen). Or is it like watching with bright logo all the time continuously through out will cause the burn in?

In simple terms, if there is a break of not watching bright logo in between, will there be a burn in?

Burn-in is cumulative. Breaks don't matter. Total hours of usage for that logo matters.

"Permanent Burn-in" is Cumulative.
You can avoid "temporary image retention" by switching between different channels.

You are not helping anyone make an informed discussion. Not once have you mentioned any facts related to burn-in and usage. You have not mentioned any improvements that have been made since Rtings 2017 burn-in test. You are not even acknowledging that LG has been replacing panels for hundreds of reported online users.

You're simply fear mongering. Nothing else.
I personally got 2 times replacement for the B7, but that had other problems like red tint to thr middle and the cinemascope area brighter as the other area. Since then i never had any problems despite using it mostly as a monitor for xbox.

I am talking about b7 which was much more fragile than the current versions accordong to oled ranters. But like i daid before, i was too unlucky on my forst two panels. It had burn in in 1 months time which is much less than even rtings said for b7.

Happy Enjoying TV
It covers. I got replacement two times. And no fight involved. Raised a request, they asked me a pricture. Came with a new panel, work done in 10 minutes. Yes i had to do work from home on those days. Much better than my scamsung 3dtv whihc suddenly got lines all over after few months out of warranty.

I personally got 2 times replacement for the B7, but that had other problems like red tint to thr middle and the cinemascope area brighter as the other area. Since then i never had any problems despite using it mostly as a monitor for xbox.

I am talking about b7 which was much more fragile than the current versions accordong to oled ranters. But like i daid before, i was too unlucky on my forst two panels. It had burn in in 1 months time which is much less than even rtings said for b7.

Do you have any images? Sometimes the compensation cycle is a bit slow to correct the change or it overcompensates.

What burnt into the panel?

Last edited:
LG official India Site, which clearly says Burin-In issues are not covered under warranty. Unless LG officially includes Burin-In in their Warranty, confidence in OLED will always come under question. They are replacing the panels out of courtesy, but how long they can continue to do this to hide their failure to produce a stable pannel?

"There is generally no warranty coverage for image retention by TV companies and display manufacturers. Image retention may result when consumers are out of normal viewing conditions, and most manufacturers do not support warranty for such usage regardless of the type of display," said Tim Alessi, director of new products at LG.

It covers. I got replacement two times. And no fight involved. Raised a request, they asked me a pricture. Came with a new panel, work done in 10 minutes. Yes i had to do work from home on those days. Much better than my scamsung 3dtv whihc suddenly got lines all over after few months out of warranty.

It's great that you got it covered. Would you care to share the steps like how you raised the request? It might help other users of the forum.

Last edited:
True write-up:

I can't stand so many people buying OLEDs on the forum, so let's ramp up the fear even more. Muahahahaha!
Seems like the non Oled owners are more worried about burn-in compared to people actually owning it
It's great that you got it covered. Would you care to share the steps like how you raised the request? It might help other users of the forum.
Its simple just call customer support or login to their site and raise a request.

Seems like the non Oled owners are more worried about burn-in compared to people actually owning it

Its simple just call customer support or login to their site and raise a request.

Club of one is no fun. Human nature to want their tribe to grow. Unfortunately, it seems like those who would take a mid-tier FALD set by paying more than a top OLED are rare. The fear that he had needs to be planted in others. Facts be damned. Clearly he doesn't know about improvements. He mentioned above no changes in manufacturing process, which is not correct. Subpixel boosting twice and aperture ratio improvements happened in the manufacturing process of panel itself.

Club of one is no fun. Human nature to want their tribe to grow. Unfortunately, it seems like those who would take a mid-tier FALD set by paying more than a top OLED are rare. The fear that he had needs to be planted in others. Facts be damned. Clearly he doesn't know about improvements. He mentioned above no changes in manufacturing process, which is a lie. Subpixel boosting twice and aperture ratio improvements happened in the manufacturing process of panel itself.
Lol it’s ok if he is not aware. Let’s just explain to him politely

If changing the Subpixel size is termed as manufacturing process change, then I see why LG is replacing so many panels. LG is still stuck with decade-old VTE for manufacturing of their consumer OLED panels. Only TCL is getting their hands dirty with Solution-processed OLED for their H-QLED line display.

If changing the pixel size is termed as manufacturing process change, then I see why LG is replacing so many panels. LG is still stuck with decade-old VTE for manufacturing of their consumer OLED panels. Only TCL is getting their hands dirty with Solution-processed OLED for their H-QLED line display.

Well, in a tech forum, the purpose is to share the knowledge. But unfortunately, some self-proclaimed expert is more interested in showing off? What’s his credential? Professional calibrator - No, LG employee -No, Working in Semiconductor Industry -No, the only credential is C9 Owner. If owning a product makes one an Expert, then I should be have been a JW Master Blender by Now:p. But I understand some people are just incapable of having a civilized healthy discussion. :p

Clearly you don't know about JOLED or Samsung's own push for QD-OLED or LG's own plans for bringing top emission to panels, which they are using for 8K OLED. And oh, guess which company is the only one manufacturing millions of panel every year for OLED TVs? LG!!

And oh, subpixel pixel and aperture ratio improvements don't require any manufacturing change process at all. Cramming more substrate into the same area and changing the configuration of the entire plant to move to a new printing structure isn't a part of the manufacturing process. They get one of their employee's babies into the plant who sleeps all day and poops and as they change the diapers of the baby, the entire manufacturing process changes to now produce panels that have a different pixel structure and crams more substrate into the same area. They took a chance on the right manufacturing process, stuck with it, refined it, invested billions in it and are now primed for profit, pushing everyone else to move too or be left behind, including Samsung.

What you're doing again is changing the goalpost. Love doing that, don't you?

Q60/Q70 good. OLED bad not bright. But Q60 less than bright any OLED in the market and Q70 less bright than the most popular OLED, along with just having 200 nits on a 1% window. Point that out, and you move to LCD being used for reference monitors instead of OLED now, forgetting that those LCDs are completely different than Q70, and they don't use FALD, they employ a dual-cell layer. Completely unrelated to to the discussion or Q70. That's your power move. Deflect to something else when you're wrong.

Same here. You wrote; nothing changed in the manufacturing process. Point out changes, and you want them to overhaul the entire production, discarding the billions they invested in the current one, which they have CHANGED to respond to the burn-in.

But oh, those changes don't matter. Only when they drown billions, will you accept them as changes. Nothing changed till then. Just magically subpixel became bigger...not once, but twice!! Aperture ratio improved on its own. Maybe they started singing to the machines as they printed the panels, and that made the machines happy and they did LG a favor.

O: This lake is the biggest in the world.

M: No, it's not by any parameter. Not in volume. Not in area. Not in depth.

O: Do you even know how lakes are formed? It can take millions of years. There are lakes on other planets that are the size of our oceans. Why can't you have a civil discussion?

Another take:

O: This building hasn't been renovated in years.

M: Errr...they strengthened the foundation just last year, along with changing the layout of the rooms, new coat of paint and redecorating the interiors.

O: Since when is all that considered renovation? Maybe this is why they are selling the house. Did they even build the building again? It's the same ten-year-old building. Just next door they are building a new building. It'll be completed in 5 years. What an amazing marvel of renovation that will be! Do you even know anything about architecture? Do you even work for a cement manufacturer? You're just a real estate agent. You're incapable of having a civilized discussion.

Do you have any images? Sometimes the compensation cycle is a bit slow to correct the change or it overcompensates.

What burnt into the panel?!
I had uploaded those into the lg portal long ba

What burnt into the panel?
Those are two different “burn ins “ amp which happened 3 months apart. And you can see a picture of the replacement I got. I couldn’t find the pic I took for the second replacement though. Had to look into the cloud and search for lcd tv to find this among hell lot of pictures.

Attachments

• B73288E9-0DBE-454F-A7AF-7F16D704BB9E.jpeg
    B73288E9-0DBE-454F-A7AF-7F16D704BB9E.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 1C5D0FB6-AF11-46DE-8DFD-F3147CB0D4EB.jpeg
    1C5D0FB6-AF11-46DE-8DFD-F3147CB0D4EB.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DD4784F7-BC12-4137-AFD6-E98575BE92DD.jpeg
    DD4784F7-BC12-4137-AFD6-E98575BE92DD.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back