One for all -universal Remote

are you sure...? logitech website says 6.

If you configure using the MyHarmony.com website it will allow you to configure upto 8 and if you configure using the Harmony software by downloading in your pc.. only 6 devices will be allowed. I have taken the firsdt option and have configured upto 7 devices and they work fine, there is still provision for one more.

I think logitech does this so that people are tempted to buy highe versions. But why worry when you are on HFV :)

I suggest Logitech Harmony One Amazon.com: Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote with Color Touchscreen: Electronics
Little expensive at $165 but really worth it.

You may go for Harmony 700. I am using it and I think it will come within 120 USD with shipping. It has color screen and runs on ordinary pencil batteries which you can either charge through given adapter or externally if you have a separate charger.

Thanks for the suggestions. I compared the 2 and almost finalized for Harmony one. However while searching for the best deal for Harmony one (the best deal so far is $154), I came across this one

Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight 18-Device Universal Learning Remote Control with Touchscreen Color Display

Amazon.com: Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight 18-Device Universal Learning Remote Control with Touchscreen Color Display: Electronics

for $70. Is anyone using this ? at less that half the price, this device seems to give almost the same functionality. In fact specs say more functional than Harmony one.

The reviews on Amazon are also mostly positive.

Is anyone using this remote ? and how is the feedback ? can I go for this one instead Logitech. Please note, I will be using the Universal remote for the first time so no prior experience or expectations :) ...

Cheers

TI compared the 2 and almost finalized for Harmony one. However while searching for the best deal for Harmony one (the best deal so far is $154), I came across this one

Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight 18-Device Universal Learning Remote Control with Touchscreen Color Display

Amazon.com: Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight 18-Device Universal Learning Remote Control with Touchscreen Color Display: Electronics

for $70. Is anyone using this ?

Checked the price on ebay in India.

Logitech Harmony 1 : ~12K
Acoustic Research ARRX18G XSight : ~6K

Still waiting for a first hand review of ARRX18G XSight, so that I can decide on the same. This one definitely looks more VFM than Harmony one.

Got myself a Harmony 525; though an older model but it has a backlit display and can control 10 devices; even programmed it to control my assembled napoleon a/c; cost was about 2.7K from letsbuy; also available on ebay for around 3k;

I never used my Oppo for more than a year, now I pulled it out from its carton and my remote is lost - misplaced/filched during house move (kept it separately in my drawer all this while) Boooohoooohooohooo...! :sad:

Can I program a universal remote without having he original remote to read its signals? What to do? My life is so miserable without a remote ...

I feel like throwing myself in the path of a speeding Airplane ... :eek:hyeah: ;)

--G

Last edited:
If you dont already have a unversal remote, buy logitech harmony, it downloads codes from web so there is no need to have original remote to get the harmony working.

you can check if Oppo codes are there in harmony database.

if not able to find let me know , i ll search for you :)

I have a Harmony one remote bought last week, ready to give away for 9000/- PM me if anyone interested...

If you dont already have a unversal remote, buy logitech harmony, it downloads codes from web so there is no need to have original remote to get the harmony working.

you can check if Oppo codes are there in harmony database.

if not able to find let me know , i ll search for you :)

+1 too that,my 525 connects to internet,asks the remote/device model no.,searches online & thats done. :thumbsup:

Why don't you contact Oppo for a replacement remote shipped? Their replacement remotes for BD players are cheap ($12), not sure which Oppo player you have. I found Oppo support very responsive during my buying process of BDP 95.

Why don't you contact Oppo for a replacement remote shipped? Their replacement remotes for BD players are cheap ($12), not sure which Oppo player you have. I found Oppo support very responsive during my buying process of BDP 95.

Good idea, Trying that now. But shipping will be more than the cost of the remote no?

The harmony looks too gadgety to me and I dont want to spend 7 or 8000 rupees on a remote. I very much like the original remote and like a madly obsessed lover - I want every new remote to look and behave like that one only ;)

So if its not a new Oppo remote, I will need an alternative one very elegant and minimalist with a sturdy build not over sized.

Thanks

I also have Harmony 505 but never used it extensively due to the complexity and finally using individual remote.

Just send an email to Oppo (no harm in trying) and find out the cost including shipping, most likely you do not have to pay any customs and the cost+shipping might work out really cheap.

Consultant

I too had problems in setting my Harmony remote so i hired a consultant who did all the settings for me, i had to tell him about my fair needs, and the results were mind blowing. :yahoo:

V.

I also have Harmony 505 but never used it extensively due to the complexity and finally using individual remote.

Amazing to know consultants are available for such jobs.
And what do they charge.

Obviously more than the cost of the remote :lol:

@ gobble: Harmony 525 is also a good option and should be available for appx Rs.3K or even less. And it also downloads the codes from net.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back