One for all -universal Remote

I just picked up the Harmony 525 for 4k from Chennai. I know it can be had for 3500/- or maybe even lower.. But I was on a holiday and it did not make sense to run around to try and save 500 bucks..

I settled on the Logitech primarily for its build and it's exhaustive support. It also seemed much easier to set up and tweak - much more intuitive..

I've got a question on these universal remotes:
Can they be configured to use with _any_ generic infrared based device? I've got
a. An old NAD amp that originally came with teh remote but I don't have it. Can the remote be configured to pick up the amp's frequency?
b. An infrared USB dongle for my PC. Can the remote be used with it?

thanks

Generally if you have used the remote, then Harmony specifically can control it. Also you have options to program using macros which could be slightly tricky though not overly hard. Otherwise you can get it to learn like Moserw has suggested.

How can we control Tata SKY DTH using the Kameleon 8..
is there any known code..

regards

How can we control Tata SKY DTH using the Kameleon 8..
is there any known code..

regards
hi,
i hv configured my kameleon 8 perfectly with the tatasky set-top box(mine is a thomson make).the code is: 1848.
The remote does not connect to the net directly.On contacting the customer support;they either provide u the code of the device or send u a sound file for playing thru your pc speakers while holding the remote close to the speakers(a detailed explanation is usually provided in the mail). their helpline is:1800-1023-299

A learning remote can learn the command from another old remote and mimic the command later.

Go for the logitech harmony 525. I have been using it for the past 6 months and its fantastic. Picked up mine for Rs 3600

Hi Flanker,
I am new to this forum, so hi to everyone.
Tell me Flanker, is this Logitech remote of the learning type? Because their higher-end learning models cost a bomb.
If any of you guys own a palm or any other PDA, you can download a software called Noviremote and install it on the PDA. You can program any number of devices, and you get the touch screen convenience of the PDA. I am using this on my old Palm Tungsten E & it works wonders.

Nitish,

THe Logitech remotes costing around 5000 bucks has the learning facility, i am using the upper model.

I am impressed to know from you about the capabilities of palm and PDA. I am having pocket pc of HP ipaq HX 2400 series, can i download the software Noviremote and install it on my pocket pc?

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time that is equal to 1/100th of a second.

I am impressed to know from you about the capabilities of palm and PDA. I am having pocket pc of HP ipaq HX 2400 series, can i download the software Noviremote and install it on my pocket pc? Vinay.

Vinay it does seem to have a version for the HP based pocket PC, though I don't see a particular reference to 2400. It does mention 2410.

Please go to NoviiMedia / Pocket PC Solutions / and click on 'Compatibility'

Cheers

Last edited:
images

Recently purchased SONY RM-VL1000, at almost half the price Rs 2700/- all inclusive, with bill & warranty (original price:Rs 5990/-) from sony center, its an oldie but really useful and can learn.

Options For Remote Control

Venkat, thank you very much for giving me the link.

Mandeep, a good price for the Sony remote.

Vinay.

Amazing Fact: India invented the number systems. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.

Vinay,

Sorry, didn't reply as Venkat already gave you the link.
Did you try out the software?
Can you tell me what the range of your IR is. My Palm tungsten can be used from approx. 12 ft distance, but the same software on my Palm Treo 680 has to be used from as close as 4 ft!
Nitish

Logitech Harmony 885 is available at Reliance Digital for Rs 5995/- only. The MRP being more that 16K. The same model is available at Chroma for Rs 11995/-. I bought one from Reliance Digital, Vashi, Navi Mumbai. It is very feature rich. Tough I've not configured if fully, but it is worth at offered price of 6K.
Check out if available. Only 1 unit was left at Vashi, may be more at other Outlets.
Sandip

Hi friends,

I got my Logi Harmony 525 yesterday.Now I need your help to configer it.
This is my 1st device.

I cld config AVR & DVD,dont know how to config unbranded TV.

Last edited:
Any experiences of using either the URC remotes or the Harmony series with Onkyo DVD players?

Both their sites indicate that it's supported. I'm looking for actual user feedback.

Any experiences of using either the URC remotes or the Harmony series with Onkyo DVD players?

Both their sites indicate that it's supported. I'm looking for actual user feedback.

I m using it for Onk AVR & working perfect.Harm525 is learning one,so you can config as you want.

I m using it for Onk AVR & working perfect.Harm525 is learning one,so you can config as you want.
I plan to use it to control
- Denon AVR 1803
- Onkyo DV-SP405
- Tata Sky
- Panasonic PV8

Would it be possible for you to cross-check if these are available/programmable?

Don't have the remote for the Onkyo, hence learning is not an option. Which is why am more concerned about that device :)

I plan to use it to control
- Denon AVR 1803
- Onkyo DV-SP405
- Tata Sky
- Panasonic PV8

Would it be possible for you to cross-check if these are available/programmable?

Don't have the remote for the Onkyo, hence learning is not an option. Which is why am more concerned about that device :)

Let me tell you it can work practically with any remote.
I have also config it with my assembled TV remote to.

You have to use internet & windows opens(after connecting usb to Harmony),
it ask you what you want to config,write model no ,it checks it & if model is not available they asks few Q.
You simply select the options ie.Display,TV,DVD,PC,AVR
then asks to select the key in window,then one by one keys are shown(power,volume ,menu etc)then you have to press the same key on Original remote towards learning port of Harmony.

Simply learns the command & any remote can be config this way.
My TV has local circuit & remote ,which has been configed by me.

You can config 11 devices at a time.

Hi. I ordered Harmony 880 from Amazon for Rs. 5500. My friend will bring it from US early next month.

The equivalent model in India is 885. It is priced at Rs. 14500 in Mumbai.

I understand that it is a very popular model. Shall post reviews once I test it.

i dropped my idea for an universal remote as my Onkyo 606 remote is controlling my Tata Sky Box, my panny pv8, and my Onkyo 606 receiver.

If i got the remote codes of the ps2 i am sure it could control it too.

Sata Tikao VFM

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back