One for all -universal Remote

spirovious

Hi friends,

Have you heard of One for all universal Remote?
I found it in Croma with four types.
1.DVD - rs.700 aprox.
2.DVD,TV - rs. 900
3.DVD,TV,AVR - rs. 1100
4.DVD,TV,AVR,settop box - rs. 1250

Compatible will all leading brands.

Pls. post your thougths.

Hi friends,

Have you heard of One for all universal Remote?
I found it in Croma with four types.
1.DVD - rs.700 aprox.
2.DVD,TV - rs. 900
3.DVD,TV,AVR - rs. 1100
4.DVD,TV,AVR,settop box - rs. 1250

Compatible will all leading brands.

Pls. post your thougths.

Hi,

I picked up the URC 7556 Digital 5, which supports 5 devices at the same time and also has a learning mode where it will pick up the functions of another remote by just pairing the remotes together and punching in the required code. Got it from Reliance Digital for Rs. 1990 or so, but under 2K. Its great and works very well. Only thing is there is no backlight or LED for using in the dark and its not a touchscreen model. I am getting the Logitech Harmony 1000 soon so this was intended as a stop gap arrangement, but after using it I can say it more than holds its own and functions as a full fledged remote, very well that too.

Hi,

I picked up the URC 7556 Digital 5, which supports 5 devices at the same time and also has a learning mode where it will pick up the functions of another remote by just pairing the remotes together and punching in the required code. Got it from Reliance Digital for Rs. 1990 or so, but under 2K. Its great and works very well. Only thing is there is no backlight or LED for using in the dark and its not a touchscreen model. I am getting the Logitech Harmony 1000 soon so this was intended as a stop gap arrangement, but after using it I can say it more than holds its own and functions as a full fledged remote, very well that too.

Hi,

Last model which I mention is also learning .
I was not knowing the meaning of learning .

A learning remote can learn the command from another old remote and mimic the command later.

Go for the logitech harmony 525. I have been using it for the past 6 months and its fantastic. Picked up mine for Rs 3600

A learning remote can learn the command from another old remote and mimic the command later.

Go for the logitech harmony 525. I have been using it for the past 6 months and its fantastic. Picked up mine for Rs 3600

Hi flanker where did you get the remote from ? can they ship it to calcutta , if not no problem , i will be in Chennai on 23rd Dec , i can purchase at that time , the address of the seller will be helpful.
regards
David.

Hi flanker where did you get the remote from ? can they ship it to calcutta , if not no problem , i will be in Chennai on 23rd Dec , i can purchase at that time , the address of the seller will be helpful.
regards
David.

In Mumbai its available at Croma.

Hi Guys,

I bought the Comfort Grip URC 7950/7955 remote from Croma for controlling 5 devices. It costed mr Rs. 1290 something... It hardly took 5 minutes to configure the following

Tata Sky STB
Philips DVD Player 5986K
LG 37" LCD 37LC7R

It has learning feature and I am now trying to configure my Acer PD116 Projector remote too. Did not spend my time to do it. In my opinion, you can go for this oneforall URC as I find it value for money. Do not go for the less priced model as they do not have the learning feature. No idea on Logitech Harmony 525 but about 4K is too much for something you get at about 1K in other brands.

All functions are working great and I am really happy to have bought this remote.

I hope that my post helped you in your decision making process.

Hi,

Update - The model I picked up costs Rs. 1995 and supports 5 devices. Add another 1K (around Rs. 2900 or so) and you get a remote that supports 15 devices, the brand being the same OneForAll. Seems more VFM, too bad it was not available when I got my remote though others should benefit now.

Update - The model I picked up costs Rs. 1995 and supports 5 devices. Add another 1K (around Rs. 2900 or so) and you get a remote that supports 15 devices, the brand being the same OneForAll. Seems more VFM, too bad it was not available when I got my remote though others should benefit now.

i got myself URC 7781 Digital 12.
MRP -2995
XCite price 2290

It can control 12 devices.
I haven't played it with much but here is what I found aout it in couple of days
+
1. Back-lit
2. Learning (upto 50 functions)
3. Has a HT mode in which sets of buttons can be programmed different devices. e.g - For watching DTH, you can program the number keys to work with STB, volume keys with TV, and so on.
4. Has a display - very useful for programming.
5. Only remote in x-cite which was offered below MRP! that too Rs 700 below MRP. A lower model supporting 5 devices is priced at Rs 2000 (no discounts).
6. Supports Macros
7. Easy, free download of codes for new equipment from internet. Files are downloaded as a wav file and the remote picks up the code from sound !! I tried and it works. (You need to download all new codes at once or else they are overwritten next time u try to update your remote)
-
1. Only one HT mode.
2. Macros dont work in HT mode.
3. Display is small.

Overall I find it worth the money spent. I hope I dont require another remote.

hi,
i hv been using the One-for all kameleon 8 for the past 3 months.Its excellent no problems till now.U can check the small review in the audio video accessories which i posted.

Logitech Harmony 659. Not very intuitive to program but once you have it done it works very well. Will buy a second one if this goes bust. I like Logitech database for supported devices. You can find estoeric component support and also its always expanding.

One thing I suggest to all owners, but a good set of reachargable batteries as it helps in the long run.

I've got a question on these universal remotes:
Can they be configured to use with _any_ generic infrared based device? I've got
a. An old NAD amp that originally came with teh remote but I don't have it. Can the remote be configured to pick up the amp's frequency?
b. An infrared USB dongle for my PC. Can the remote be used with it?

thanks

I recently picked up Harmony 885 from ezone (jayanagar, bangalore). It's quite costly (15K). I was used to TC30 which came with my HK-AVR-745 which was activity based learning/programmable remote. Since, it is broken, thanks to my 3 year old son, I had to find a similar one. So I have chosen Harmony 885.

It's awesome. Just connect to usb and the s/w given gets connected to the DB over the Internet and all my devices and activities are set-up in no time.

I control my AVR745, Philips LCD, Onkyo DVD changer, Digitelly cable box and my Canon DVD camcorder. It works perfectly fine.

Except for the money part, I'm happy with this one. I believe Harmony 525 is similar to this, but, without chargeable battery option and color screen. It is 3500/- in Bangalore. Worth a try.

I've got a question on these universal remotes:
Can they be configured to use with _any_ generic infrared based device? I've got
a. An old NAD amp that originally came with teh remote but I don't have it. Can the remote be configured to pick up the amp's frequency?
b. An infrared USB dongle for my PC. Can the remote be used with it?

thanks

Only two ways to program a universal remote. Firstly, get the device remote code and enter the same in the universal remote so this method will work if you have/can get the remote code for your NAD amp. Second option, you will need the remote for the device and then by pairing both the device remote and the universal remote (the universal remote should have a learning mode) you can teach the universal remote the functions of the device's remote.

Not sure about the infrared USB dongle though.

Thats a good buy Rajiv. All harnomy's work the same way...

I recently picked up Harmony 885 from ezone (jayanagar, bangalore). It's quite costly (15K). I was used to TC30 which came with my HK-AVR-745 which was activity based learning/programmable remote. Since, it is broken, thanks to my 3 year old son, I had to find a similar one. So I have chosen Harmony 885.

It's awesome. Just connect to usb and the s/w given gets connected to the DB over the Internet and all my devices and activities are set-up in no time.

I control my AVR745, Philips LCD, Onkyo DVD changer, Digitelly cable box and my Canon DVD camcorder. It works perfectly fine.

Except for the money part, I'm happy with this one. I believe Harmony 525 is similar to this, but, without chargeable battery option and color screen. It is 3500/- in Bangalore. Worth a try.

Hi
I have a One For All unversal remote URC - 9910801 which i got it from US for around 30 dollers thru my friend and it has both unversal and Learning process with disply screen and it is really very good. It is available (not the same model) in e-Zone in chennai.
Thanks
Sub

i got myself URC 7781 Digital 12.
MRP -2995
XCite price 2290

It can control 12 devices.
I haven't played it with much but here is what I found aout it in couple of days
+
1. Back-lit
2. Learning (upto 50 functions)
3. Has a HT mode in which sets of buttons can be programmed different devices. e.g - For watching DTH, you can program the number keys to work with STB, volume keys with TV, and so on.
4. Has a display - very useful for programming.
5. Only remote in x-cite which was offered below MRP! that too Rs 700 below MRP. A lower model supporting 5 devices is priced at Rs 2000 (no discounts).
6. Supports Macros
7. Easy, free download of codes for new equipment from internet. Files are downloaded as a wav file and the remote picks up the code from sound !! I tried and it works. (You need to download all new codes at once or else they are overwritten next time u try to update your remote)
-
1. Only one HT mode.
2. Macros dont work in HT mode.
3. Display is small.

Overall I find it worth the money spent. I hope I dont require another remote.

Hi,

I have purchased the Kamaleon 5 (URC-8305). Can you kindly explain the upgrade process (free download of codes, wave files etc.) that you have mentioned above? Can you please provide the links?

Thanks
Churfsan

Hi,

I have purchased the Kamaleon 5 (URC-8305). Can you kindly explain the upgrade process (free download of codes, wave files etc.) that you have mentioned above? Can you please provide the links?

Thanks
Churfsan

The process is different for Kameleon 5.
Please visit | Universal Electronics and in download center select your remote. Click on URC 8305 Kameleon 5 link which will lead to Software version blink out and follow the process.

EDIT: Just found out that the process is same. But anyways you will have to follow the above link as there are different versions of softwares in Kameleon 5.

The overall process is
1. Select your remote in the Downloads section of the website
2. On the resulting page of another webstie http://www.ezremote.com, select codes for all devices for which you want and upgrade. Note that it is necessary to select all devices. If you do not select all devices and later try to add new devices, these codes will be overwritten. So key is to add all devices even while retrying the upgrade.
3. The above page will result in anoter page having exact instructions for your remote and link to a wav file. You have to play that wav file after holding your remote such that the back of it touches a speaker (mostly right). After the playback of wav file is complete you will get a message that the codes were upgraded. If the upgrade fails increase the volume and retry.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back