Onkyo 3300 and Wii

senthilsss

I have recently bought Onkyo HT3300 :yahoo:

Now, I am trying to configure my various components and all seem to be working fine except a little doubt in my Wii+AVR connection.

I have connected my Wii to AVR using Composite Video and Audio. I have also changed the settings in my Wii to "Surround". However, I don't see "Dolby" lit up in my AVR. I am playing "Super Mario Brothers" and it supports Dolby Digital Prologic II.

Is it like AVR take inputs from L+R of Composite and simulate Dolby PLII or it can take input of Dolby through L+R of Composite?

Please note that my AVR not displaying "Input" as either Dolby or PCM in this case. It just displays the output as "Dolby PLII" which I manually changed in Listening modes.

Any ideas and thoughts?

I have connected my Wii to AVR using Composite Video and Audio. I have also changed the settings in my Wii to "Surround". However, I don't see "Dolby" lit up in my AVR. I am playing "Super Mario Brothers" and it supports Dolby Digital Prologic II.

Is it like AVR take inputs from L+R of Composite and simulate Dolby PLII or it can take input of Dolby through L+R of Composite?

Composite is a analogue two channel connection. To get Dolby or any other 5.1 code, you have to make a digital connection between the source and the AVR. You can use one of coaxial, optical, or HDMI.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for your quick reply!

That's precisely my doubt. Because, Wii does not have any other output other than LR Composite. I have googled various websites and they have suggested to keep "Surround" option in Wii on and AVR Listening mode set to Dolby PLII.

I feel this setting will simulate the Dolby PLII rather than processing original Dolby signals. Right?

Or, AVR is actually capable of receiving LR Composite and construct Dolby PLII on its own.

PS:
(1) I am novice and need your help in understanding this better.
(2) When I changed to "Surround" option in Wii, the sound indeed better than "Stereo" option.

I feel this setting will simulate the Dolby PLII rather than processing original Dolby signals. Right?

When you set to Surround on the game console is simulating Dolby Prologic II. When you select it to Stereo the receiver can simulate Dolby if the receiver supports it.

Dolby PLII is precisely simulating stereo into 5.1, Dolby PLIIz is stereo to 7.1.
It's impossible to send surround sound to reciever through LR composite.

Dolby PLII is precisely simulating stereo into 5.1, Dolby PLIIz is stereo to 7.1.
It's impossible to send surround sound to reciever through LR composite.

Thanks for your reply! So, Wii simulating Dolby PLII and sending it through LR Composite and AVR plays it accordingly.

This is a bit complicated if you have to believe the marketing talk of Dolby.

According to Dolby, when a processor receives a stereo signal, it looks for 'hidden cues' in the audio signal, and creates a 5.1 signal using PLII logic.

Essentially what is does is send the same audio signal to all channels with varying time delays to simulate a 5.1 surround sensation. In addition it filters all audio signals below a certain frequency and sends it to the LFE channel.

A stereo signal does not have any cues for 5.1, so only repetition of same signal with varying amplitude, filtration, and time delays is the only possibility.

Cheers

Agreed. That's why I kept using the word "Simulate" :lol:

I guess Wii is cheating people that it supports Dolby PLII. It can only simulate Dolby using its LR Composite. Bunch of cheaters! I was really worried yesterday why Dolby didn't lit up in my AVR (Input).

Now, I understood why.

This is a bit complicated if you have to believe the marketing talk of Dolby.

According to Dolby, when a processor receives a stereo signal, it looks for 'hidden cues' in the audio signal, and creates a 5.1 signal using PLII logic.

Essentially what is does is send the same audio signal to all channels with varying time delays to simulate a 5.1 surround sensation. In addition it filters all audio signals below a certain frequency and sends it to the LFE channel.

A stereo signal does not have any cues for 5.1, so only repetition of same signal with varying amplitude, filtration, and time delays is the only possibility.

Cheers
Thanks for the technological insight, but whatever the theory behind it, I think it sounds pretty damn nice.
I have the Onkyo 508 AVR, which has Dolby PLII and PLIIz, and the stereo actually sounds like surrounds, with stronger vocals from the fronts, and nice backing instruments from rears... All in all, it works for me!

Agreed. That's why I kept using the word "Simulate" :lol:

I guess Wii is cheating people that it supports Dolby PLII. It can only simulate Dolby using its LR Composite. Bunch of cheaters! I was really worried yesterday why Dolby didn't lit up in my AVR (Input).

Now, I understood why.

I take my words back. Dolby PLII indeed a simulated 5.1 from Stereo. If Wii would have said Dolby Digital then it is a cheat...however they are actually sending Stereo surround signals to AVR which simulates using Dolby PLII. AVR also won't lit up Dolby PLII..it can only lit up Dolby.

Sorry for posting wrong information in my previous thread. It is due to lack of knowledge.

Thanks!

Back