Onkyo AVR owners thread

Not a owner yet but have ordered NR626 from US :yahoo:. Need to get it next month.
Have read good reviews, hope the sound quality is as good as the number of features it has.
I am planning to connect PSB T6 and use as a stereo for time being.
Later upgrade them with PSB Center C5 and Sub Woofer.

Not a owner yet but have ordered NR626 from US :yahoo:. Need to get it next month.
Have read good reviews, hope the sound quality is as good as the number of features it has.
I am planning to connect PSB T6 and use as a stereo for time being.
Later upgrade them with PSB Center C5 and Sub Woofer.

Conrgats... How much did it cost ? Is someone getting it for you from US...

626 has wifi & bluetooth facility... Playing songs from your mobile is juz cool...

using onkyo TX NR 906 for ht purposes and some times stereo.very good performance.
enjoying,but heat generation is more.kept 02nos of comp fans and no problems after that.

using onkyo TX NR 906 for ht purposes and some times stereo.very good performance.
enjoying,but heat generation is more.kept 02nos of comp fans and no problems after that.

906 should be a top class AVR... I use my AVR 818 for approx 6 - 7 Hrs a day & some days even more for stereo/movies, DTH, youtube.... Never felt the heat since i have good ventilation on the top & the sides of the AVR....

Its great to have a dedicated thread for Onkyo owners.

I own a TX-SR508 from almost 4+ years and doing well. Off late, since I upgraded my fronts + center + sub, I feel that my receiver is heating up a little more than before.
Is it because of the new speakers which are marked for 8 ohms and I'm driving the fronts bi-amped, hence more power required?

Is there any way to fix a fan (computer ones) on top of the grill to suck the hot air and circulate it outside, so that the temperature reduces. I'm aware that a fan requires a 12volts DC 1 amp current. But the question is how to fix it on top of the avr and to provide the current.

Is there any way to fix a fan (computer ones) on top of the grill to suck the hot air and circulate it outside, so that the temperature reduces.

Not sure about your model, but my 505 has fans at the bottom, you can check by using a torch under the belly of your AVR to see if there are any fans. I'd be careful to make sure the airflow is aligned and does not end-up rendering the original fans ineffective by creating a draught in the opposite direction

Not sure about your model, but my 505 has fans at the bottom, you can check by using a torch under the belly of your AVR to see if there are any fans. I'd be careful to make sure the airflow is aligned and does not end-up rendering the original fans ineffective by creating a draught in the opposite direction

No, there is no fan inside the TX-SR508.

Hello,

I have an Onkyo TX NR616 mated to Jamo 5.1 Speaker setup. The sound quality of the avr for movies is excellent, although I find it lacking in the music segment. Guess, Onkyos are made for movies!!

I had a question. My AVR and subwoofer have blown their electronic components a few times, despite being connected to a surge protector unit from GM. May I ask how to protect them from future damage? Better Surge Protection/UPS/Stabilizer?

Which preset in onkyo nr636 is the best to listen to a Dts source?direct or Dts? I feel direct mode is too scratchy and not clear

Which preset in onkyo nr636 is the best to listen to a Dts source?direct or Dts? I feel direct mode is too scratchy and not clear

Have you tried Pure Audio ? This treats all the speakers as large & sub-woofer will play only when a LFE signal is detected..... I mean global bass management system will be overruled...(Display turns off & The AVR turns off Analog Video circuitry)

"Direct" function is much similar to Pure Audio, but the video circuitry for Analog devices are turned on...

Hi..
using Onkyo 515 for more than a year, it seems pretty bright with my Elac Speakers. Room size 15x12. set crossover at 120. set up is as follows:-
Elac FS 57.2 -7db
Elac CC 51.2 0db
Polk Audio 110b -9 db
Polk Audio Sub SW 125. Volume knob at 1 O clock with 15 db LFE at 120hz
some say that elac speakers perform best with Denon, any takers?

Hi..
using Onkyo 515 for more than a year, it seems pretty bright with my Elac Speakers. Room size 15x12. set crossover at 120. set up is as follows:-
Elac FS 57.2 -7db
Elac CC 51.2 0db
Polk Audio 110b -9 db
Polk Audio Sub SW 125. Volume knob at 1 O clock with 15 db LFE at 120hz
some say that elac speakers perform best with Denon, any takers?

Have you engaged any tone controls (bass & treble controls) ... If so, this could be one of the reasons why you feel the harshness...

You have speakers that go really low (Both ELAC & Polk).... If you have induvidual crossover for each channel, set the Fronts to 40Hz, Center also to 40 Hz & 50Hz for surrounds too (or) if it is global function, set it to 50 Hz....

Alternatively try using the "Pure Audio" feature.. This will override all the tone controls & play as close to the source material...

Its great to have a dedicated thread for Onkyo owners.

I own a TX-SR508 from almost 4+ years and doing well. Off late, since I upgraded my fronts + center + sub, I feel that my receiver is heating up a little more than before.
Is it because of the new speakers which are marked for 8 ohms and I'm driving the fronts bi-amped, hence more power required?

Is there any way to fix a fan (computer ones) on top of the grill to suck the hot air and circulate it outside, so that the temperature reduces. I'm aware that a fan requires a 12volts DC 1 amp current. But the question is how to fix it on top of the avr and to provide the current.

You can use a laptop cooling pad placed on top of Amp.

I have a 7.2 AVR, which has a DAC for each channel... At the same time the AVR can support upto 9.2 channels with additioanl amplifier... So for the additional 2 channels does the AVR share the DAC's ?

I have a 7.2 AVR, which has a DAC for each channel... At the same time the AVR can support upto 9.2 channels with additioanl amplifier... So for the additional 2 channels does the AVR share the DAC's ?
Is that DAC made up of one chip? Earlier Onkyo models(say 609) used to say DAC per channel,but in fact it was a one single chip(separate DACs under one) unlike used in stereos.

Is that DAC made up of one chip? Earlier Onkyo models(say 609) used to say DAC per channel,but in fact it was a one single chip(separate DACs under one) unlike used in stereos.

Not sure @spirovious...But what i could locate was it uses dual differntial DAC for stereo... Which i think it uses 2 DAC's for stereo... so applying that logic, i think it would use 7 DAC inside for mutlichannel...

Is anyone here using the new 2014 AVR models?
I would like to know about the pros/cons of AccuEq as opposed to Audessey.
I'm about to buy an Onkyo TX737 which doesn't have Audessey so is it a deal breaker?

Otherwise I can also go for Marantz SR6009 but I'm afraid to go for it due to service issues.
SR6009 doesn't have Dolby Atmos but I don't think that I'm going to utilize it anyway.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back